New Here? - Introduce Yourself

Bamabox

Found this forum a couple months ago when I was doing research to buy a table. Now a very happy owner of a M.G. Wright 9 footer, mission style, likely built around 1910 in Hartford CT. I’m no expert, but seems to play wonderful. Professionally installed with Championship wool, not sure which type, but definitely not worsted. Plenty fast for me. Played a lot when I was in high school and college, but that was 50 years ago. Always loved the game. Met a guy recently who got me back into it, and discovered the lack of pool halls now a days. Closet one 40 minute drive. Back in the day they were everywhere. Anyway, hello.
A2-EEFEB9-5-AE4-421-C-99-F1-5-CCD9-E94-A506.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:

iamgregh

Registered
I am located in Jacksonville, North Carolina. My table is currently disassembled because we had a lot of Damage from Hurricane Florence in sept 2018 , I will be putting it together next week.

I am a relative amateur playing Pool but I hope to get much better. I just found the local pool hall, and it seems really cool, just need to make some friends that like to play!

My Table is a circa 1910 "W. Ludlow" 8ft table made in Newark New Jersey, I don't have an exact date but the chalk holders are dated 1897. This table was in my Grandfathers house and I played on it growing up, I believe he acquired it the 1950;s or 1960's It was passed down to my Father and then to me, and will be going to my Son when the day comes!
The Table was originally Green, and then I recovered it in Red

I will be covering the Table and Rails in Simonis 860HR Tournament Blue
and also redoing the cushions (K-66) (I received the Cloth and Cushions yesterday (Thanks classicbilliards.net) The color is beautiful.
I have a bunch of house cues I bought as a set.

And I also have my Grandfathers Frank Paradise Cue that was passed down to me

I have assembled and dissembled this table several times , but this time I want to really take my time and do it right.
I have posted a few times on here but never made the introductory post.
I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge on here, and hope to learn a lot more in the future. The Pic is of My Dad with the Table in my House and The Frank Paradise Cue! I will post more once I get it set up next week.

Attachments

• dad.jpg
    dad.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 380

Pete H

Registered
I'm Pete from Finland and I love to play pool as I explain in my stand up bit here:

https://youtu.be/SW7XyaVYEj8

I've been lurking the forum occasionally for 10-15 years, but for some reason didn't bother to register until now.

At the moment I'm looking to improve my 14.1 game (it helps all the other games too) which sucks as I'm most of the time totally clueless about the patterns.

My favorite player is Efren. Here's one of the many reasons why:
https://youtu.be/JZyjy4CNnu8

CueCrazyJohn

My name is John - I've been a lurker here for a couple of years, and decided to create an account.

I hail from Austin, Texas. I work in Cyber Security, have played APA League off and on for 20 years, and I can be seen any given night at The Grand on Airport or Slick Willy's on Burnett road. When I'm feeling adventurous I'll pop up to Skinny Bob's and watch all the big dogs playing for stakes.

I love pool, but I love the equipment more than I love the game. I'm more of an aesthetics kinda guy, and nothing is as beautifully made as a well made magic wand.

MOONPIE

Registered
New here

Hello,

Male
From spokane wa, father of 5 kids, industrial electrician/plant *****, use to play the game alot wasted youth you could say my youngest 2 kids have found a love for the game so I'm taking that opportunity an running with it. Have bought a older 3 piece slate table or combination of 2 tables it looks to me. Kids an I will attempt to make it a custom dinner/billiard table.

ExWorter

Registered
Greetings AZB members.

I've been stalking in here for a good year now so decided to sign up.

I love all things pool related. Originally from Australia but now reside in Bangkok which has a fantastic pool scene with many quality players and venues. Was fortunate enough to see Efren Reyes live at my local last month playing exhibition games... and what a humble guy he truly is.

Started playing at the age of 9 but I'm far from a pro, just a passionate guy playing league and still learning so much and it's fair to say I cherish my equipment more than anything.

All the best.

Brad

Last edited:

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I am located in Jacksonville, North Carolina. My table is currently disassembled because we had a lot of Damage from Hurricane Florence in sept 2018 , I will be putting it together next week.

I am a relative amateur playing Pool but I hope to get much better. I just found the local pool hall, and it seems really cool, just need to make some friends that like to play!

My Table is a circa 1910 "W. Ludlow" 8ft table made in Newark New Jersey, I don't have an exact date but the chalk holders are dated 1897. This table was in my Grandfathers house and I played on it growing up, I believe he acquired it the 1950;s or 1960's It was passed down to my Father and then to me, and will be going to my Son when the day comes!
The Table was originally Green, and then I recovered it in Red

I will be covering the Table and Rails in Simonis 860HR Tournament Blue
and also redoing the cushions (K-66) (I received the Cloth and Cushions yesterday (Thanks classicbilliards.net) The color is beautiful.
I have a bunch of house cues I bought as a set.

And I also have my Grandfathers Frank Paradise Cue that was passed down to me

I have assembled and dissembled this table several times , but this time I want to really take my time and do it right.
I have posted a few times on here but never made the introductory post.
I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge on here, and hope to learn a lot more in the future. The Pic is of My Dad with the Table in my House and The Frank Paradise Cue! I will post more once I get it set up next week.

You guys from New Jersey? I think Paradise was set up in Elizabeth. Maybe your table and cue were made like 10 miles away from each other.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not properly introduced myself , I am Randall from Ky . I grew up playing Pool in the Local Pool hall and then about 20 years ago the last one closed and I stopped playing. I am now , Thanks to my Son getting back into playing which I dearly missed . Pool is my favorite Sport and I love the game, A Gentleman's Game. I found this forum and decided to join , a wealth of info on here !

Planplan78

Registered
Hi

Hi,

I'm Planplan78 from the Netherlands.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200227_001441_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20200227_001441_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 280

dquarasr

Registered
Boomer here, main hobby is sports cars, live in Central Florida. Always loved the game. Have a 9-ft Goldenwest. Only recently started playing leagues. Fall 2019 9-ball, winter 2019/2020 8-ball. 353 US, level 4 APA.

I used to play very casually, with my neighbor, and maybe once per night (10 racks maybe) would run out 8-ball. Haven't come even close to doing it in league or when I practice now. Definitely putting too much pressure on myself. Trying to learn to relax and enjoy the ride.

Really trying to learn, probably trying too hard. Looking forward to retirement later this year when I can devote some more regular practice time. So much to learn but first have to get a more consistent stroke and like I said learn to relax.

perdigao

Registered
Beginner Player out of Florida

Hi,

I've been playing for about an year and suck at it :( Joined the website in hopes to research and find a good instructor in South Florida.

I have a 7ft (small) table at home...

wazowski

Hi! New here. I shoot for 6 years, tried myself playing in a league, but failed. Now play at my leisure! I hope I'll like being here!

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am an avid billiards player and have played for decades.

Snooker is my passion but enjoy playing all billiards. In my Canadian city I play Snooker at home on my table with friends. I play pool when out in informal leagues. No real interest in Pro pool or gambling etc. Billiards for me is simply a fun social activity.

I am a good player but not great. I can defeat most players on a given day but not through skill but rather through wisdom.

I’m not too much into equipment. I’ve used the same Snooker cue for 14 years. Change the tip about once a year or so from the same box of 20 I purchased years ago. I use a snooker cue for all billiards.

I enjoyed reading the comments and pleasantly surprised that there’s a whole range of age groups; especially us older guys.

BadEnglish

Registered
Morning everybody, my name is Dave.

Just moved my childhood pool table from my folks' house and am digging back into playing pool. I played everyday for over a decade, but it's been 15 years or so since I've played on a regular basis. The timing was good as I had scheduled it to be moved right before we went on lock down.

I have a few decent cues. I have my old McDermott D3 that I got new back in '90 or so. I also have a McDermott M903 that I got a decade later.

I picked up a McDermott G203 because I wanted to try one of their G core LD shafts. The fit and finish doesn't seem quite as nice as my older McDermotts, so I am debating if I am going to keep it (it hits pretty well) or return it for something else. I've been reading the forum cleaning some info on what's currently out there and decided to sign up.

Tomato Stew

Hello All, I'm Stew Reed, named "Tomato Stew" by "Little Squirrel" Keith Thompson at LeCue in downtown Houston in the late 1960's. I was a night student at U of H who lost interest in school as I learned world class pool by watching (and occasionally playing) Jack Breit, Greg Stevens, Danny Jones, Jack Terry, Bobby Jones, Christopher, Ronnie Allen, Richie Florence, Eddie Kelly, Johnny Vives, Tall Jimmy, Nick the Greek, Blue Shirt, and many other talented players. I was occasionally called Triple Smart for getting slight advantages in match-ups and being a savvy bettor.

As a player, I was a weak shortstop. I traveled throughout east Texas playing bars and bowling alleys, and rarely lost. My finest performance was an all night session with "Topsy", a top player in Shreveport. He snuck up on me at a truck stop; and I battled him to a draw at $30 per game nine ball on a big bar box. I beat Jersey Red four straight games of one pocket at $20 per game. He was giving me 8 (4 no count) to 4, and he was more than annoyed at losing. He quit after 4 racks, and never matched up with me again. He and Dottie were remained friendly to me.

I love the game, and have fond memories of my nights at LeCue. I wish that I could turn back the clock! My net worth was only two or three thousand dollars then; but in many ways those were the happiest days of my life, total freedom, no responsibilities, playing and watching a great game of skill.

Cheers and best wishes to my fellow pool enthusiasts!

lucidchaos

Registered
Hi all,

My name is Dan. I've played 8 ball in my grandpa's basement from when I had to stand on my tiptoes to see the felt. While I never met my great grandparents, I learned later in life that they were bar owners. I suspect that's where the table came from.

I had a game table at home, as well - table tennis. During the later years growing up with my parents, my father and I put a lot of work into the basement, laying tile, raising the ceiling, and knocking out walls. He replaced the ping pong table with a pool table of his own. Between my friends, my dad and I, we had a blast. My buddies and I would also sometimes go to a local pool hall for beer and a few games, just to mix it up.

It wasn't long after I left home that my mom missed the ping-pong table enough for them to cover the pool table. I moved out of state and enjoyed the table tennis matches when I visited.

TBDTRae.png

As time passed, the table tennis cover started becoming more of a utility table when I visited. Memories of what was underneath faded away.

That all changed a few weeks ago, when my mom passed away. Right now I am working to honor her life and memory, as well as cleaning up the home. It's not unlikely I'll end up moving my family there, and perhaps my kids will have the opportunity to grow up with a table in the home, as my family has for generations.

I came across this forum as I fulfill my obligation of personal representative of the estate, taking an inventory, and looking up value on the "assets." That said, I see here that there is a sense of community united by passion - and I would love to experience that myself.

Marioa

Hello everyone,

My name is Mario and currently live in Northridge Ca, but hopefully in a few months I will be moving to Gilbert AZ,. About 40 years ago I played 3C billiards I was at best a mediocre player but really enjoyed the game, but as it usually happens life got in the way. I did not pick up a cue again until about a year ago and began playing eight ball and nine ball (trying to learn the rules). I discovered that I enjoy playing pool and will try to get better, although I am now 65 years old and my eyesight is not what it used to be but will keep trying. Hopefully once I move to AZ I will start looking for a table to buy and go from there.

Regards,

Mario.

Zevven

Neonate new. I play, not too well as I did not learn how to play correctly, but am trying to change that. I am from Southern Alberta where the wind blows, and blows...

Thanks to Ghosst for teaching, coaching, and having patience with me.

Through it all, and over it all, thanks!