Up'ing my Game - Advice

Aero_Dave

Registered
Hi guys, Dave here. I’m looking for some advice on moving my game up. I’ve been playing in an 8-ball league for almost 20 years. I Only play on Monday nights, I’m captain of my team and I practice very little prior to playing. I’ve been using my Joss 94-6 for almost as long. It’s a great stick, but I want to Finally move my game up. So I’ve decided to start to put in the time / practice to do so. I have plenty of higher ranks players in my league and on my team I can learn from. Currently I’m about a 4.5 average player in our APA league. But without really putting in the time-in, some days I shoot like a 3, other days a 6. I have a great ‘overall’ understanding of the game, banking, carom shots, safety plays and I can usually ‘See’ the run-out I want after a break. Most of my teammates call on me when they are looking for a Coach during the game as well. But since I haven’t put in the time with learning more and practice, I’m not as steady of a player as I would like to be, nor am I really moving my game-play up any.

So, where do I start besides starting to practice more, learning more about the game overall and working at it? I think I want to make a cue change, to start a new road to better playing. I know having a good cue is important (at least mentally) and there is nothing wrong with my cue now, but I would just like a new start to a new chapter in my game. Not sure if I really want to trade my cue for something new, or just buy something nicer in the used market. I know a $1000+ cue will not make me shoot any better without putting in the time. But I think a new cue for Me will give me a new perspective (again mentally) on my game. I don’t really have a budget in-mind, but thinking something around the $400-$700 range. That’s why I’m looking into the used market so hopefully I can get a little better cue for my budget.

For now, I’m planning on re-tipping my Joss with a Kamui II Medium clear tip for a new start. I usually use a Tiger medium tip. I may even have my cue re-wrapped, just for a change.

Thanks,
Dave…

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Go to youtube and look for Zero-X billiards. Tor Lowry has many videos to help you improve... One thing to do is make sure your stroke is straight and on target... then shoot drills... Don't just throw the balls on the table and shoot... Get the little notebook paper re-enforcement "donuts" to put on the table when you shoot drills. That way the cue ball and object ball are in the exact spot when shooting drills. Then when you shoot the shot over and over, you can used each different english on cue ball and see the results. It will become memory when the situation arises in actual play... Also, as Tor teaches, try to avoid using side spin.. Use center, center high, and center low on your shots... Good luck...

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Youve been playing league for 20 years and are only a 4/5 level... what Im getting out of that is you only really play on league night(s) and most times that's limited to your match.

More then anything, you just need to go out and play more. Not 1 match. Im talking about a few hours and playing by yourself. When you mess up a shot, set it back up and shoot it again until you get it right... then shoot it some more.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Youve been playing league for 20 years and are only a 4/5 level... what Im getting out of that is you only really play on league night(s) and most times that's limited to your match.

More then anything, you just need to go out and play more. Not 1 match. Im talking about a few hours and playing by yourself. When you mess up a shot, set it back up and shoot it again until you get it right... then shoot it some more.

all good advice, and I would also add playing other games besides 8 ball, to the point you understand their strategies and can compete in them with at least average players. If you want a new cue then by all means get one, but remember it's still a cue, not a crutch. You sound like a lazy player honestly, or casual player may be a nicer way to say it. More effort with the right attitude will likely help, but I doubt on it's own a new cue will make any difference.

OnDaSnap

Banned
Hi guys, Dave here. I’m looking for some advice on moving my game up. I’ve been playing in an 8-ball league for almost 20 years. I Only play on Monday nights, I’m captain of my team and I practice very little prior to playing. I’ve been using my Joss 94-6 for almost as long. It’s a great stick, but I want to Finally move my game up. So I’ve decided to start to put in the time / practice to do so. I have plenty of higher ranks players in my league and on my team I can learn from. Currently I’m about a 4.5 average player in our APA league. But without really putting in the time-in, some days I shoot like a 3, other days a 6. I have a great ‘overall’ understanding of the game, banking, carom shots, safety plays and I can usually ‘See’ the run-out I want after a break. Most of my teammates call on me when they are looking for a Coach during the game as well. But since I haven’t put in the time with learning more and practice, I’m not as steady of a player as I would like to be, nor am I really moving my game-play up any.

So, where do I start besides starting to practice more, learning more about the game overall and working at it? I think I want to make a cue change, to start a new road to better playing. I know having a good cue is important (at least mentally) and there is nothing wrong with my cue now, but I would just like a new start to a new chapter in my game. Not sure if I really want to trade my cue for something new, or just buy something nicer in the used market. I know a $1000+ cue will not make me shoot any better without putting in the time. But I think a new cue for Me will give me a new perspective (again mentally) on my game. I don’t really have a budget in-mind, but thinking something around the $400-$700 range. That’s why I’m looking into the used market so hopefully I can get a little better cue for my budget.

For now, I’m planning on re-tipping my Joss with a Kamui II Medium clear tip for a new start. I usually use a Tiger medium tip. I may even have my cue re-wrapped, just for a change.

Thanks,
Dave…

Once you have strong fundamentals in place, consistency will be noticed. To improve, you need to dedicate time to knowing center ball, high, and low english. The best way to start is hitting balls when the cueball and object ball is lined up straight into any pocket. This will help with identifying flaws in your mechanics. Once you are probably at least a 7, strive for complete focus on every shot. Focus is the key to success in high level play. Good luck!

Last edited:

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like the saying goes, it might not be the arrow, but the archer. Ever consider a training tool like QMD (www.cue-md.com)? It'll give you some good insight into how you're stroking and help condition you for delivering a straight stroke.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member

No kidding.
Find yourself a pool hall and make it your second home.
When there, play others who are equal to, or better than you. In this case that will be pretty much everybody.
Sit quietly and watch good players play. You'll know you are getting better when you can anticipate their shots.
Don't worry about your equipment, at least not for the time being.
And, for God's sake, learn One Pocket. You'll thank me and Grady, later. :)

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
And, for God's sake, learn One Pocket. You'll thank me and Grady, later. :)

This I disagree with that to an extent and here is why...

I'm mainly a 9ball player. My poolroom is full of 1 hole players. It's the main game for action there. Out of all of them there is only a handful that play other games regularly/competitively as well.

I have never really had the desire to play 1 pocket until about a month ago. There are a few guys up there that play cheap/for fun that I find to be great to learn the game from as it will be cheap and I will be able to get more of the correct moves down and learn how not to sell out.

Well for a lot of those guys, 1hole is just a game they play because they cant play 9ball. Sure its more of a chess match but these guys to not have the shot making or position abilites I have from playing 9 ball for 15 years. So a few of these guys who have been playing only 1 hole for longer then I have been playing pool total I have been able to out run with only basic 1 hole knowledge.

With all that being said... yes, learn 1 pocket, but not now. Shot making and more advanced position playing should be your main goals right now IMO. I feel I started learning 1 hole too late, but I think learning it when you just start taking pool seriously might be too early.

The more 9ball you play, the better your shot making and position will become. 1hole will help your 9ball play when it comes to safes.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
Also, 1 thing to consider as your progress and depending how much you start to like actual pool instead of league pool...

Weighs your options when it comes to staying in a pool league or quitting it. I played league all the way up to SL9 in 9ball and 7 in 8ball, when I quit league my game jumped. I shoot more, on tougher equipment, against tougher players, for a more immediate reward or punishment.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, where do I start besides starting to practice more,

I am afraid I have to simply recommend more practice:
Start practicing 3 hours per day at least 4 times a week. Say 500-shots per session.

In less than 1 month you will be a solid 5,
in less than 6 months you will be a solid 6.

It doesn't really matter what kind of regimen you practice, except for taking legal <foul free> shots at legal balls.

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks,
Dave…
I would recommend:

(a) Begin playing pool outside of league.
(b) Begin playing other games (9, 10, 14.1)
(c) Avoid 1P for now. It will be too advanced for you. If you are only a 4/5 after 20 years it means you have a lot of room for improvement, and 1P is too big of a jump considering your rating.
(d) Play in weekly or regional 9b and 10b tournaments. You will have a chance to measure your progress against stronger players whilst competing at a high level. Very few players enter a tournament without seriously expecting, or wanting to get the cash. This means you are competing against champions and world-beaters who are really trying hard, all for the cost of an entry fee. You will get your head and your a$$ handed to you at first but you must stick with it.

Some friendly advice:

Do not measure your success or rate of improvement based on how you perform against other league players on league night. Too many times I have had someone from league excitedly tell me how last week they beat a (insert rating here) and they think they are getting better because of that.

Someone else recommended playing people equal to, but preferably better than you. If it costs you some cheap action ($20 per set) then consider it a worthwhile investment, but at the same time don't be a regular donor.

Talk to people who are willing to show you a few things, such as position, pocket-speed, safeties, proper use of English etc.

Beware of anyone who offers you "cheap" lessons. You have been around for a while so you know what to avoid.

You can read book after book and watch video after video, but the best way to learn pool is to PLAY pool.

Hope you found this to be helpful.

Last edited:

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Dave

I would suggest that you get some formal instruction before you start to practice. No sense in practicing wrong.

Look at myself or Scott Lee.
If I knew what City you lived in, I can get more specific.

www.randygpool.com

randyg

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Practice more. Find some form of practice that you like, could be drills, 14.1 practice whatever you enjoy doing.

You've stayed at one skill level for very long. Usually that should tell you that you must be doing something wrong, HOWEVER, since you've played so little we can't know for sure.

As much as I love 14.1, I would suggest that you play some 9/10 ball first. Ghost-drills are very good for diagnosis of ones game, since one is forced to shoot.That way you'll be forced to shoot tough shots and you'll learn what your weaknesses are. When you find out, write it down somewhere, so you don't forget it. You'll then know what to practice. After you've worked on those for a while, THEN take up 14.1. 14.1 is great for keeping track of your progress and is a fun game to boot, plus it can be played by yourself, so you don't need a practice partner all the time (but it's a plus, of course). If you like, you can post a run and get comments on it at the 14.1 sub-forum. It's IMO friendlier over there than in the main forum.

Your cue is fine, as long as the shaft is still good. I like Joss cues myself.

As for instructional material, I recommend Bert Kinister. Nothing has helped me more than his drills, especially the earlier ones.

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
One Pocket

If you really want your game to go up, start playing some One Pocket. The game itself makes you figure out how to do things consistently and thats worth an awful lot.

Thanks,
Dave…

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Straight pool really taught me to be more accurate about getting the right angles on next balls

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums mobile app

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Find a pro who gives lessons. They should be able to get your apa rating maxed out in a fairly short period of time (maybe 3 months). It'll be cheaper, and alot more effective than a new cue will be.

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I quit 8 ball for 2 months played 14.1 exclusively. Played 8 ball one night with a few friends and ran out much more consistently

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums mobile app

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I have no idea what an apa4-5 plays like.

Once you get in tune by putting some time in on the table, then you can start to pick your game apart.

Why did you miss? Are there certain shots your consistently missing?

Why didn't you get the correct position?

Are you seeing your out the most efficiently? Seeing trouble that could come out and bite you in that run?

Trying to be the hero and runout when you shouldn't?

Basically, why are you losing?

Cater drills that will help your game.

This is all predicated on you having good mechanics. If your in doubt, video record yourself. Have someone who is much better than you watch it too.

I still say one of the best drills is stop/follow 1 diamond/draw 1 diamond, from various distances, straight in w perfectly straight draw and follow and a stop shot that doesn't move.

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member

No kidding...play, play, play.
Not once...thousands of games.