Things you want on your cue case?

Donovan

A little security, goes..
Silver Member
Tbeaux said:
Or try Hawleys for a "case clamp", if you like it visit Home Depot and make your own. Or try http://www.whiteysstuff.com for another option.

Terry

Those are good options too. I am always afraid someone will come by and knock those things off, but I'm sure they will work for many people.

PoolSleuth

Banned
Well if you are looking to get into the Inexpensive Cue Case business nipponbilliards , I say good luck as they market is flooded in my opinion.

High End Custom Leather Case is a Market where there is room for some competition IMO.

You got Jack Justis, Ron Thomas, Dan Whitten, Jim Murnak, OnQCase, Talisman, and a few others (not in any particular order)

Who all seem to have their own designs and features. But no one has captured the entire market.

Several of the above will do custom features, other it is mostly their way.

But as far as Case Like and Dislikes, I have THINNED my case/cases down to (1) 42F by Dan Whitten.

Not a perfect Case as it, but could have been better had I special ordered it rather than buy a STOCK DESIGN/CONFIGURATION.

Could be longer, as it will only accommodate 30.75” of Butt or Shaft. Could have been special ordered to accommodate longer Butts & Shafts.

Could be Lighter, but is offers great protection with Full length Tubes. 4#’s 14.3 OZ Emply, is not bad with all that protection.

Could have Longer Pockets. Had I special ordered it rather than buy a STOCK DESIGN/CONFIGURATION.

Could have a Towel Strap.

Could have Backpack Straps, (a neat idea) but the Single Strap with Pad will works O.K.

Could be a 3 x 6, but I do not need a 3 x 6 most of the time. 2 x 4 works

Top Handle Strap, not necessary, but would be nice.

But in defense of what I have it works well. It may get replaced with another Special Ordered Whitten, than I will sell of the Old Black 2 x 4, Whitten 42F

Color is not real important to me, as I like Black/Black, but may go with Smooth Dark Brown, and Dark Brown Gator Next Time.

Do not think there is a Perfect Q Case, just a lot of GREAT Cues Case Designs.

The design that seem to catch my eye most frequently are :

Justis

Whitten

Talisman

Jim Murnak who seem to be the up and coming Cue Casemaker with unlimited imagination. :D

Ron Thomas who is building what I call Classic RETRO Design Cases like we had years ago. Like the Famous George & Fellini Cases.

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of people have been telling us not to try the jump break cue market because it is a market filled with competition and what not. However, I really believe in my idea and I want to offer to my fellow pool players something no one has offered before. If it is something I believe can truly help pool players to enjoy the game more and win more money with, why should I be afriad?

I am a firm believer that there is always room for the best in every field. Consumers are the ultimate winners when there is competition on quality.

Jack Justis, in my opinion, is the best in the high end case market. While others may be proficient with technique and skill, Jack is the one who is gifted with very refined taste. He offers his customers outstanding style and class like no one else. That is what makes his cases so collectible and the most sort after. I would have to be crazy to try to compete with him.;)

Going back to my questions:

I like the idea of the velcro, and the detachable pockets, very creative indeed.

Let me see if I have understood the suggestions correctly:

1. Is leather a must?

Leather gives a more expensive look. Soft leather is preferred over hard leather for the pocket. Durablility and protection is more important than the material itself to most people.

2. Is there anything you really want in your case that you cannot find anywhere?

Most people like:

Very deep pockets;
zippers on the side rather than the middle;
Places to hang towels;
pocket for chalk;
a side pocket of the jump butt;
some Q claw holder;
a table clamp,
pockets that can be removed, and replaced;
wheels, remote control(??!!);
a good stand so the case will not fall;
backpack strap;
light weight tubes;
spring on the bottom;
pouch for joint protectors;
being able to put the cue butt down;
a handle on the lid.

3. Is there something you absolutly do not want to see?

Shoulder strap seems to be the one major thing. Buckle on the pocket is not desirable, snaps are preferred.

4. Hard case vs soft case?

Most people like hard, but weight is a major factor. So, hard is preferred but it should be light weight.

5. Perferred color?

Two tone or darker colors.

6. 2x4 vs 3x6 or more?

1x2 to 4x8 and everthing in between.

Have I missed anything?

What about the interior design? I always thought that is the most important thing?

How important is it to have wheels? I supposed if you traval a lot it would be nice to have wheels? But how important is it?

One last question, if the case is really big, with all sorts of bells and whistles, will you worry that no one would want to play with you when you walk into a poolhall looking for action?

Thank you.

Richard

Last edited:

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
nipponbilliards said:
Have I missed anything?

What about the interior design? I always thought that is the most important thing?

How important is it to have wheels? I supposed if you traval a lot it would be nice to have wheels? But how important is it?

One last question, if the case is really big, with all sorts of bells and whistles, will you worry that no one would want to play with you when you walk into a poolhall looking for action?

Thank you.

Richard

Richard,

The interior whether with tube or any other type should be made of a material that won't scratch a cues finish. Cues shouldn't be able to bump each other in the case. The chalk pocket would probably need to be removable or have a removable plastic container to dump chalk dust. The spring system I mentioned is more for cases that tend to swallow a cue. If enough of the cue is showing you wouldn't need that.

Leather adds a lot to the costs of manufacturing but vinyl tends to crack and tear easily.

Wouldn't bother with wheels on smaller cases but they could be handy for larger sizes. A clamp, velcro or anything like that could be helpful, a stand of some sort would be even better.

I don't worry to much what other people think about my possessions. If they see something that is convenient and functional they'll probably want one.;)

Donovan

A little security, goes..
Silver Member
nipponbilliards said:
Going back to my questions:

2. Is there anything you really want in your case that you cannot find anywhere?

Most people like:

Very deep pockets;
zippers on the side rather than the middle;
Places to hang towels;
pocket for chalk;
a side pocket of the jump butt;
some Q claw holder;
a table clamp,
pockets that cannot be removed, and replaced;
wheels, remote control(??!!);
a good stand so the case will not fall;
backpack strap;
light weight tubes;
spring on the bottom;
pouch for joint protectors;
being able to put the cue butt down;
a handle on the lid.

Thank you.

Richard

2. The handles on the side and top need to not be flimsy. IT can save a knuckle or two if supported clear to the hard part of the case. Basically if you can flip the case around by the handle it is strong.

Interior: I agree, something smooth, so no damage. faux suede maybe?

Wheels: were not big for me. If your traveling, you should just make the case you use to hold the case have wheels.

Bells and whistles: No one cares anymore about that. If they want to hustle, they would just carry their sneaky pete in the place without a case. ;)

XMit

Boomity Boom!!!
A built in Q-Claw type holder is a huge idea! I know most people who carry one that holds more than 2 cues can't fit the sucker in the case. I love my cue rest but hate carrying it.

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
As far as the interior, I would like to see something soft that also wicks moisture. On humid days, the wrap can get a "clammy" feeling, so I know there's to much moisture in the wood also. Not sure if this is possible, but it sure would be nice. Springs, springs, springs, I hate digging and trying to get my cue out, it's a real pain.

Instead of velcro pockets, how about metal snaps for the pockets? This way you could still remove the pockets and not have the ugly velcro on your case.

Just some more thoughts.

Jim

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

How many of these things have we built into cue cases in the interim? Most of them in some form or another.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joint protector loops/holders. All my pocket space is full. I see where Castillo is puttin jp loops on their new case. Good idea.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I was browsing for something else and came across this thread. It was posted after I sold Instroke and before I started JB Cases. Interesting conversation.

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I for one need the shoulder strap.
Even though it is quite useless as a "shoulder strap" I sling it over my head like a quiver while riding my Harley to the pool hall.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
2. The handles on the side and top need to not be flimsy. IT can save a knuckle or two if supported clear to the hard part of the case. Basically if you can flip the case around by the handle it is strong.

We have created incredibly strong handles.

Interior: I agree, something smooth, so no damage. faux suede maybe?

Soft fabric backed with specifically engineered foam rubber is what we use.

Wheels: were not big for me. If your traveling, you should just make the case you use to hold the case have wheels.

We recommend any number of easily available luggage carts to attach to. Basically since I give a lifetime warranty I don't wan't to be responsible for broken wheels.

Bells and whistles: No one cares anymore about that. If they want to hustle, they would just carry their sneaky pete in the place without a case. ;)

We have thousands of custom cases with dozens of different bells and whistles baked in and the requests for new ones don't stop.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I would like to know what kind of features you would like to see on an inexpensive case.

1. Is leather a must?
3. Is there something you absolutly do not want to see?
4. Hard case vs soft case?
5. Perferred color?
6. 2x4 vs 3x6 or more?
Thank you.

Richard

I want it to say JB cases, and I use a 4x8 rugged model.