Things you want on your cue case?

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to know what kind of features you would like to see on an inexpensive case.

1. Is leather a must?
2. Is there anything you really want in your case that you cannot find anywhere?
3. Is there something you absolutly do not want to see?
4. Hard case vs soft case?
5. Perferred color?
6. 2x4 vs 3x6 or more?
Thank you.

Richard

Last edited:

Shorty

A banger at best...
Silver Member
I honestly wish I could combine the following into one cue case.

The pouch room of my Tribal Talisman. I like big and deep pouches.
The lightness of my old Silver Fox 3x5. It maybe weighed two pounds empty.
No shoulder strap, just top handle and side handle.
I can give or take leather...as long as it's TOUGH.
I would love to have it engraved like my old Whitten, and come in
cool hide prints like my Whitten, black alligator or lizard.
I prefer a hard case because the case will serve to store my cues at home
as well.

For me, all I need is a 2x4, but the main thing I want is LIGHT!

So far my Talisman has been the winner, weighing 4 pounds 13 ounces empty.

Shorty

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear Shorty,
Thank you for the reply. May I ask why no shoulder strap?
Happy New Year.
Richard

PoolSleuth

Banned
nipponbilliards said:
I would like to know what kind of features you would like to see on an inexpensive case.

1. Is leather a must?
2. Is there anything you really want in your case that you cannot find anywhere?
5. Perferred color?
6. 2x4 vs 3x6 or more?
Thank you.

Richard

Are you going into the Case Biz?

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
nipponbilliards said:

1. Is leather a must?
5. Perferred color?
Thank you.

Richard

This is an INEXPENSIVE case right?
OK, Hard case with water resistant black ballistic nylon type material,good closure system,various sizes (1x1, 1x2, 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 3x5) available, table clamp, outside pocket for easy access to a jump butt, two smaller pockets (one divided) for small items and chalk,handle and strap system with shoulder pad(s),spring loaded padded tubes long enough to handle 32" butts, grip rubber base, cell phone pocket, ring to hang things off of (could be part of clamp or strap system.

Terry

PoolSleuth

Banned
Tbeaux said:
table clamp, outside pocket for easy access to a jump butt, two smaller pockets (one divided) for small items and chalk,handle and strap system with shoulder pad(s),spring loaded padded tubes long enough to handle 32" butts, grip rubber base, cell phone pocket, ring to hang things off of (could be part of clamp or strap system.

Terry

Great Ideas....;)

nipponbilliards said:

1. Is leather a must?
5. Perferred color?
6. 2x4 vs 3x6 or more?
Thank you.

Richard

I would like some cases that hold a diferent amout of shafts like a 2x6 3 shaft for my playing cue. 2 shafts for my break cue, I have two break cue shafts one with the leather tip and one with the phnolic tip.there a normal 2x4 case would be full but then I carry a special jump cue, as I think that even a x-break still don't jump as well as a cue just made for jumping;) . Then I would like a pouch to hold a jump butt.I would love a 2x6 cue case!!!!I dont care if the case is made of leather or vinyl Long as the butts can go in pin up would also be nice to put shafts in tip up so they dont get so dirty.I would also not mind soft liners with out the tubes rather than tubes that have the material glued halfass and scratch my cue's.

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
Wheels, Wheels & More Wheels

I need a case with wheels. Last year I got so tired of carrying my cue case around and having to find a place to lay it. I think these cases with wheels are a great idea.
Hey, maybe one with batteries that is remote controled like one of those little cars kids have.

TY & GL

Donovan

A little security, goes..
Silver Member
I don't know about inexpensive, but this would be my dream case.

1. Is leather a must? Yes, it is what makes a case truly nice, but it helps when the leather is flexible.

2. Is there anything you really want in your case that you cannot find anywhere? I agree with Shorty, I love the big outside pockets and the fact that on a talisman there is a zipper on either side of it makes it more useful. I don't like the center zipper thing at all. I also like having the small Chalk pocket, because it keeps the rest of the case cleaner. Removable back pack straps a must. The suit case handles on top and on the side need to be solid and not flimsy. I would want them to support the whole case. I would be really unique if it had some kind of Q-Claw style holder built on it that was removable. The bottom needs bumpers like pool cues have so it won't slip when set against the wall and so it won't be rubbing on the floors and tearing up the leather. It needs a few metal loops on the outside for clipping on towels or whatever you might want. I think it would be great if it had a small zipper pouch made to hold the joint protectors too. It needs to be wide enough to fit on your back comfortably. The weight of it makes no difference to me.

3. Is there something you absolutely do not want to see? Back pack straps are a must, a shoulder strap NO! They never really hold a case on your shoulder.

4. Hard case vs soft case? Pockets soft, case hard.

5. Preferred color? Black, dark bomber jacket brown, or lighter suede like tan brown

6. 2x4 vs 3x6 or more? With Playing/Break/Jump cues out there, 3x6 seems like it is the way to go.

poolfan

Registered
Xtreme case?

I think that the wheels would be a good idea. Also a case that stands by itself, but the table clamp seems like a good idea because of the thick carpet i've seen in some of the pool halls lately. Also there is just never enough storage in a case. A seperat jump butt pouch is also nice so you can get to it without having to remove other stuff from the case. Personalization seems to important now days, everybody wants to be different with case materials and colors. And the odd configurations seem to be needed more these days with different shafts with different tips and jump cues being so popular.

Good luck in the case business.:)

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
I'm looking for a case. I'd likely get a 3 x 6 (three butts, three shafts - if that's a 3x3, my bad...). I don't care if it's a hard case or a soft case - I've heard hard cases are a little better and a little more expensive. I'd prefer it to be plain black. I'd want some storage for chalk, but not much else.

I really kinda like them plain. I don't like the ultra-decorated ones very much at all.

But I don't yet own a case. I hope to soon, though - soon as I can find one I like.

twilight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want a convertable case. One that can have pockets or straps that can attach or detach. I like a functional case more than a pretty case. An all purpose case if you will. It's got to be hard with individual tubes foam lined and a soft material to protect the cue snuggly. A 2x4 or 3x6 either will do. What I mean about the detachable straps for example is like the predator or talisman cases. I even like the talisman case that offers a backpack style (two straps) and the ability to just take them off if you know you're not going to use them. For the pockets I was thinking something like small and large one that had something like snaps that you could just fasten to the case and small straps that wrapped around and also snap on the case to prevent the pockets from coming off.

Sometimes I just want to bring my cues and nothing else, no cumbersome toys. Sometimes I want to bring all my toys. When I don't want pockets I can just nest the small one in the large one, leave it a home, and the case would just have a few strange looking snaps on them, (no biggie) however it would be cool to have something like the case logo or an engraved name plate snap onto the case. A crazy thought I know but sometimes a multi case could save you money. You wouldn't have to transfer cues from case to case, just add or remove pockets.

If they can combine a jump cue and a break cue. They should make a case that will let you determine how many pockets you want. ohhh! what about a spare huge 20 inch pocket instead of a small and large one?!! you get 3, the smallers nest inside the big one if you dont need them, but if you only want the huge one, it would have the snaps exactly where the other 2 connect!

Ok, that was dumb I know, but I like multi-taskers.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All design elements aside, the case must be protective. I want to see PVC either as an outer shell (as Justis' new Pro-Lite cases use), or individual tubes (the Instroke configuration, which imo is the gold standard when it comes to cue protection).

Everything else is secondary...including pockets, leather, etc.

-Roger

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
A must for a Cue Case.....

1. Is leather a must?
Not really, as long as it doesn't look cheap.

A light enough system that will make the case stand by itself, so that I don't need to carry a q-clamp and have my cues stay in the case. Something that can be attached to the bottom of the case that will be neatly folded and stored into one of the packets when not needed. I love my Talisman, my only issue is it can't stand properly.

One other thing, I want a padded bag that will fit the case for travelling (as in flying). The same one that Mezz have for their case, which is called the Mezz Travel Bag.
http://www.tp-cc.com/case-mezz.htm

Shoulder straps are useless, I want backpack type straps. They must be detachable too. Must be light too. An Instroke Case is built like a tank, but it weights like a tank too. Too heavy for my size.

Must be hard.

5. Perferred color?
Combination of colors, which could be mixed and matched.

6. 2x4 vs 3x6 or more?
Various configurations, but I would prefer 2x4, 3x5 and 3x6 max.

The Talisman configuration best suites me. I agree with Shorty and Donovan that it's design of *side packet zippers*, 3 packets, backpack detachable straps and it's acceptable weight makes it a winner. I just need it to stand on it's own. Currently, I strap the Talisman into my chair with a velcro type strap.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Mezz and Talisman. I also don't get paid for saying nice things about their product. I don't have any relatives who work for the 2 said companies. I just happen to like the products they offer. Not all, mind you, just selective ones.

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
1. Is leather a must? -- Yes, why would you want to put an expensive cue in a vinyl case -- unless you're trying to cater to that market

2. Is there anything you really want in your case that you cannot find anywhere? -- Not really, honestly, I think a towel ring on a case would be nice - just a small brass ring

3. Is there something you absolutly do not want to see? -- Vinyl, cheap zippers, agree with the others--shoulder straps are usless, prefer backpack style or none at all

4. Hard case vs soft case? - Hard

5. Perferred color? -- any

6. 2x4 vs 3x6 or more? - I think the 3xwhatever cases are too big. I personally like 1x2 and 2x4

FWIW,

Jim

Shorty

A banger at best...
Silver Member
nipponbilliards said:
Dear Shorty,
Thank you for the reply. May I ask why no shoulder strap?
Happy New Year.
Richard

Cause I have no shoulders HA HA...actually they are worthless to me, but only good when someone else is carrying my case. Even then, most of the time they grab my case by the top handle or side handle to load it in/out of my van.

I do wish my Talisman would stand up better on it's own. I may need to check the feet on it.

Shorty

Donovan

A little security, goes..
Silver Member
BlowFish said:
The Talisman configuration best suites me. I agree with Shorty and Donovan that it's design of *side packet zippers*, 3 packets, backpack detachable straps and it's acceptable weight makes it a winner. I just need it to stand on it's own. Currently, I strap the Talisman into my chair with a velcro type strap.

WOW, that is a great idea! I've been using one of those mountain climber clamps. It never really stays in the right place. I am going to go buy some velcro and sew a wrap strap on my case.

Thanks! That is such a great idea! Reputation coming!

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
1. Is leather a must?.... Yes
2. Is there anything you really want in your case that you cannot find anywhere? ...my 3x5 instroke has enough pockets for me.
3. Is there something you absolutly do not want to see?... I dont like the buckle idea of Talisman myself, I like the little twist snaps and zippers on the instroke.
4. Hard case vs soft case?... always hard for me. :D
5. Perferred color?... Black or light brown/tan... kinda like snake skin to though.
6. 2x4 vs 3x6 or more?... at least 3x5 now.

7. What things do you really like in a case?...
a. It has feet and can stand up rather then having to be layed down or leaned against something.
b. I can put the butts in back down so the full cue can be placed in the case for easy storage between racks and matches, that way I dont have to lean my breaker up against a wall when not in use.

Last edited:

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
Donovan said:
WOW, that is a great idea! I've been using one of those mountain climber clamps. It never really stays in the right place. I am going to go buy some velcro and sew a wrap strap on my case.

Or try Hawleys for a "case clamp", if you like it visit Home Depot and make your own. Or try http://www.whiteysstuff.com for another option.

Terry