Best layered tip?

Bandanna Joe

Watchez Supporter
Silver Member
Does the kamui black med plays like a la'pro ? I have gone back to it do to ever layerd tip did not play the way I wanted . So what layered tip plays the as the la'pro ?

The black medium will feel like a rock compared to a a lepro. I know it sounds too soft but go with a black soft or brown medium if you want the same type of feel.

IMO, the brown mediums play similar to a Lepro once you are about half to 3/4 of the way through them with none of the mushrooming problems of the old lepros or chandiverts. The first part of it's life is still softer than an old triangle tip.

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kamui Black is the nuts.just played an hour or so with a soft one and it's the best tip i have ever played with.

DrOnePocket

Banned
Kamui ii medium. Nothing better! It plays like a med/hard tip. You will love, trust me.

That is exactly right.

Not Kamuii 1, not Kamuii Black, but Kamuii II Med. It is the nut's and plays like a cross between medium and hard. Just awesome!

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
Kamui Black is the nuts.just played an hour or so with a soft one and it's the best tip i have ever played with.

I got a shaft with Kamui Black medium on it .. it seems kinda hard (I would call it medium-hard) but I think I like it. I' m hesitant to fully endorse it without more time on the table but initial feedback on the tip is definitely positive.

I still think Wizard medium tip for $5 or so is the best bang for the buck.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a shaft with Kamui Black medium on it .. it seems kinda hard (I would call it medium-hard) but I think I like it. I' m hesitant to fully endorse it without more time on the table but initial feedback on the tip is definitely positive.

i'm currently using a kamui black medium. i dig it so far but it seems to need to be scuffed a little more often than the original kamuis. i shaved mine down to get them a little harder (lol:D)

i've tried wizards a couple of times and i really like them at first. they play nice and crisp until i broke 'em in. then they seemed a little mushy

Dakota Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for realizm.

I can't believe I missed the fact that THIS was the thread with the LePro reference. He was talking about a Black Soft though, so good thing I found it! Here it is...

just put a kamui black soft on my new steel joint petree and it is awesome. picture a perfect old-school LePro,not too anything, just right.

astandrich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Moori Medium Fan

I tried several varieties from Talsiman hoping to get Moori feel for about half the price, but I just wasn't satisfied and ended up returning to Moori medium - I must say though, after reading this thread I'm dying to try Kamui Black Soft now - the last time I had my Moori installed, the pro shop fella was pitching them pretty hard, but I wasn't familiar enough with them to want to dump $45 for it.

Based on the great comments in this thread, I'm thinking I'll be trying it next time for sure.

Dakota Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A black medium is super hard.

Um, no it's not. A black HARD is super hard, but the medium is firm, and will grip the ball like velcro.

One thing to check is if your tip is installed correctly. Do NOT use liquid Super Glue on these tips PERIOD, or they will be hard and miscue. That means don't burnish the sides with Super Glue, either.

You must use something like loctite gel (and install it like they recommend) in order for it to play right. Trust me, there is a WORLD of difference when they are done right vs. when they are done wrong!

Last edited:

Bandanna Joe

Watchez Supporter
Silver Member
Um, no it's not. A black HARD is super hard, but the medium is firm, and will grip the ball like velcro.

One thing to check is if your tip is installed correctly. Do NOT use liquid Super Glue on these tips PERIOD, or they will be hard and miscue. That means don't burnish the sides with Super Glue, either.

You must use something like loctite gel (and install it like they recommend) in order for it to play right. Trust me, there is a WORLD of difference when they are done right vs. when they are done wrong!

I appreciate your comments.

My installer is top notch. I demand it with ivory.

For me, the black soft or brown medium are the way to go.

To each his own. Done with the thread.

Best Wishes.

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

mine was a soft.feels perfect to me and so much spin i honestly couldn't believe my eyes.

try the softs next time Ho.

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kamui

I recently switched over to the Kamui Black (S) tip and love it.

Ho, if you want to try one let me know. I have one I can give you. Just lend me your Lambros. =o]

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
I recently switched over to the Kamui Black (S) tip and love it.

Ho, if you want to try one let me know. I have one I can give you. Just lend me your Lambros. =o]

What's Lambros? I play with a house cue from the rack ...

Hidy Ho <-- chanting once black never go back ...

Dakota Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate your comments.

My installer is top notch. I demand it with ivory.

For me, the black soft or brown medium are the way to go.

To each his own. Done with the thread.

Best Wishes.

BJ,

I wasn't trying to bash you in this thread. I had a Black Medium put on incorrectly (with Liquid Super Glue), and it was super hard, PLUS miscue'd a lot due to the fact that Super Glue was used on the sides for burnishing.

When done correctly (with locktite gel), the Medium tip is NOT hard. It is more firm than a soft, but from your post it sounded like you got a bad tip job, and thought the glue might have been the problem.

So far the Black Medium is my all time favorite tip, but I wouldn't mind trying the soft out to experience the difference in grip and feel firsthand. If I try a Black Soft and don't like it, I don't see myself switching from the Black Medium for a VERY long time!

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member

I agree with this. I use Kamui Black Hard on all of my cues, great tip. Lasts forever, feels and sounds great.

Bandanna Joe

Watchez Supporter
Silver Member
BJ,

I wasn't trying to bash you in this thread. I had a Black Medium put on incorrectly (with Liquid Super Glue), and it was super hard, PLUS miscue'd a lot due to the fact that Super Glue was used on the sides for burnishing.

When done correctly (with locktite gel), the Medium tip is NOT hard. It is more firm than a soft, but from your post it sounded like you got a bad tip job, and thought the glue might have been the problem.

So far the Black Medium is my all time favorite tip, but I wouldn't mind trying the soft out to experience the difference in grip and feel firsthand. If I try a Black Soft and don't like it, I don't see myself switching from the Black Medium for a VERY long time!

Last last post on this as I've posted too many on this topic (& am not affiliated with kamui or anything although I recommend buying from KOINKID!) :)

No offense taken Dakota. Feel is kind of subjective. That just happens to be my opinion on those. I think the black medium is hard. I still have some on my Tex shafts & they hit well; I just like the softer Kamui's on my main cue & as others have stated brown mediums are my favorite & second the black softs.

My local tip man comes recommended from Will Prout and is Jerry Barnett. He is fantastic and very detail oriented with my ivory ferrules. A great guy to work with since Jerry Terbrock is 4 hours away.

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
layered tips

I was in the Moori medium camp until a few years ago. After suffering with the lack of consistancy for a while, I started looking for a replacment. I tried quite a couple of tips and found the Talisman medium to my liking and thought my search was over. Then a guy known to be a pretty fair player and not a bad guy in terms of helping players improve their game with advice and otherways let me hit some balls with his cue.

His tip was a Kamui black soft and with his cue all of a sudden I'm playing like i know what I'm doing and since I know I don't know what I'm doing I figure it might be the tip. I bought 1 and since playing with it I have ordered 3 more (different hardnesses - medium -hard and another soft)

I agree with the other guys Kamui Black is the ticket!

good luck! with whatever you choose and as Chuck always sez - keep your head down

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
For those of you that like the Kamui Black tips, check out THIS post.

Also, from all the input here, as well as on that other thread, I pulled the trigger on 2 Kamui Black Soft tips. They will be installed on the new Rick Howard cue I have coming.

I'll let you know how it stacks up to the Medium. Honestly I think I will have a hard time finding ANY tip that beats the Black Medium, but I want to give the Soft a shot, too!

Mike-

You may want to send Rick one of each, then you will have a real comparison, same cue, same shaft taper, same ferrule, etc.

Send me pics when you get the cue!