stance when behind the shot

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lmac007 thanks for the reply
but my question has to do with if the player in his shooting stance has his hips angled to the shot line and his head also with one eye slightly forward of the other
shouldnt he align (behind the shot before stepping forward)
from a similar position ?????
rather than square??

Not necessarily. The adjustments into the stance can be made as the player is approaching and getting down on the shot. However, the player must keep his eye on the line of aim at all times during the approach, so the adjustments in settling into the shooting stance must be made by feel. It's not difficult to do as long as you've trained yourself to know what it feels like to be in the correct stance. Then you can find it without looking away from the line of aim.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not necessarily. The adjustments into the stance can be made as the player is approaching and getting down on the shot. However, the player must keep his eye on the line of aim at all times during the approach, so the adjustments in settling into the shooting stance must be made by feel. It's not difficult to do as long as you've trained yourself to know what it feels like to be in the correct stance. Then you can find it without looking away from the line of aim.

Exactly. I described a process for getting the “vision center” and body aligned. And who cares if the eyes are angled. If you need the head angled to feel like you are looking directly down the cue and are seeing equal amounts of both sides of the shaft, do it. If you can get both your straight stroke and the visual perspective aligned, the position of the head and placement of the hips is inconsequential.

Annika Sörenstam did a clinic for women golfers. She took a wood and hit the ball 70 yards, then different distances. Then she stood sideways and at various angles sending the ball straight each time. Her point was to not get fixated on the club, the distance or the stance. The direction of the club head through impact and it’s speed were the objective and it didn’t matter how you get there.

If you can create a way to get aligned, even if it’s tedious to start, the body and the head will learn where they need to be to deliver the cue through the ball. Once learned the body will find its own way to get there from whatever position it finds itself.

As Fran noted “ the player must keep his eye on the line of aim at all times”. The other principle is that once the body learns the feel of the alignment, the body must move to the aligned cue. Moving the cue to the body because “it feels right” destroys the alignment that went before. The eyes must find the line of aim and stay there and then the body moves to the aligned cue where it needs to be.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Exactly. I described a process for getting the “vision center” and body aligned. And who cares if the eyes are angled. If you need the head angled to feel like you are looking directly down the cue and are seeing equal amounts of both sides of the shaft, do it. If you can get both your straight stroke and the visual perspective aligned, the position of the head and placement of the hips is inconsequential.

Annika Sörenstam did a clinic for women golfers. She took a wood and hit the ball 70 yards, then different distances. Then she stood sideways and at various angles sending the ball straight each time. Her point was to not get fixated on the club, the distance or the stance. The direction of the club head through impact and it’s speed were the objective and it didn’t matter how you get there.

If you can create a way to get aligned, even if it’s tedious to start, the body and the head will learn where they need to be to deliver the cue through the ball. Once learned the body will find its own way to get there from whatever position it finds itself.

As Fran noted “ the player must keep his eye on the line of aim at all times”. The other principle is that once the body learns the feel of the alignment, the body must move to the aligned cue. Moving the cue to the body because “it feels right” destroys the alignment that went before. The eyes must find the line of aim and stay there and then the body moves to the aligned cue where it needs to be.
thanks for the reply
i really appreciate your perspective.....:)

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The other principle is that once the body learns the feel of the alignment, the body must move to the aligned cue. Moving the cue to the body because “it feels right” destroys the alignment that went before. The eyes must find the line of aim and stay there and then the body moves to the aligned cue where it needs to be.

this makes me think of my own alignment routine
I've heard from several folks walk into the shot/cue
don't get down until you're ready to shoot
but often, I don't know what it looks like until I'm down
so I get down, but if it doesn't look/feel right
I adjust my body (mostly my feet) until it does
if it looks or if I feel really off
I get up and start over

this process seems to work ok for me
but I don't think I see other folks do the same pre-shot shuffle
anyway, I think it's good that I'm actively trying to unify my body and cue
but can I improve my stance, I wonder?

separately, but related
a pal of mine showed me how to stand in a snooker way
locking one leg, while bending the other at the knee
and positioning the bent leg forward
leaning over the table with the back
interesting

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of sighting is done while standing not down

I've heard from several folks walk into the shot/cue
don't get down until you're ready to shoot
but often, I don't know what it looks like until I'm down
I get up and start over

separately, but related
a pal of mine showed me how to stand in a snooker way
locking one leg, while bending the other at the knee
and positioning the bent leg forward
leaning over the table with the back
interesting

Think like a sniper. Take the cue and look down it from behind the butt, with the tip on the table in front of the ball. Then stoop somewhat and make sure it is pointed where you think it is. Adjust now.

Remember the driver learner, looking over the hood to the immediate road and over steering. Learning to drive to the lane well ahead is the adjustment needed. Getting down before getting lined up is like the learner looking over the hood at the immediate road. The sniper perspective is gone and the gunfighter shooting from the hip comes to mind. The problem for gunfighters has a label - Boot Hill.

My advice - holster that thing and get out your rifle.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think like a sniper. Take the cue and look down it from behind the butt, with the tip on the table in front of the ball. Then stoop somewhat and make sure it is pointed where you think it is. Adjust now.

Remember the driver learner, looking over the hood to the immediate road and over steering. Learning to drive to the lane well ahead is the adjustment needed. Getting down before getting lined up is like the learner looking over the hood at the immediate road. The sniper perspective is gone and the gunfighter shooting from the hip comes to mind. The problem for gunfighters has a label - Boot Hill.

My advice - holster that thing and get out your rifle.

thanks pard
as larry said above
appreciate yur perspective
*tips hat*

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I don't know what it looks like until I'm down
I get up and start over

I totally agree with this. I HAVE to get down to see/feel the shot. Being 6'6''

When I walk up to the shot, I aim a certain part of my torso the same way every time to create the same shot line-walk-up feeeeeeeeeeel.

Once I'm down on the shot, I observe my shot line and the obj. ball, and most important I make SURE I'm swinging the cue straight at my target spot on the cue ball while I look up and back.

If I'm aiming a little too much left or right, I rise up and move both feet at the same time, either left or right. I then get back down and ck it again.

I've found with my transition from Maple to the LD shafts I often get up off the shot allot, most every shot, I'm rebooting my walk-ups.

Having played 50 yrs with maple shafts that flex, my walk-ups were already ingrained. Those maple shaft walk ups, allowed for the squirt.

As I keep at it with the LD shafts its beginning to get easier, I'm beginning to get that LD shaft feel. I'm closing in on it being correct the first time I'm down.

This will take allot more hours at the table, till my walk-up in relation to the cue ball and the shot line becomes more natural and second nature.

Soon I'll not be up/down allot on each shot, like I am now. Getting the feeeeeeeeeeel of the LD's w/o squirt is new to me. Doesn't feel natural yet.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what it looks like until I'm down
I get up and start over

I totally agree with this. I HAVE to get down to see/feel the shot. Being 6'6''

When I walk up to the shot, I aim a certain part of my torso the same way every time to create the same shot line-walk-up feeeeeeeeeeel.

Once I'm down on the shot, I observe my shot line and the obj. ball, and most important I make SURE I'm swinging the cue straight at my target spot on the cue ball while I look up and back.

If I'm aiming a little too much left or right, I rise up and move both feet at the same time, either left or right. I then get back down and ck it again.

I've found with my transition from Maple to the LD shafts I often get up off the shot allot, most every shot, I'm rebooting my walk-ups.

Having played 50 yrs with maple shafts that flex, my walk-ups were already ingrained. Those maple shaft walk ups, allowed for the squirt.

As I keep at it with the LD shafts its beginning to get easier, I'm beginning to get that LD shaft feel. I'm closing in on it being correct the first time I'm down.

This will take allot more hours at the table, till my walk-up in relation to the cue ball and the shot line becomes more natural and second nature.

Soon I'll not be up/down allot on each shot, like I am now. Getting the feeeeeeeeeeel of the LD's w/o squirt is new to me. Doesn't feel natural yet.

I'm pretty sure that part of the reason I adjust so much
is that I just haven't put the hours on the table, in total
I think if I continue to want to get better and keep playing regularly
the game will come more naturally, and I won't need to adjust as much
I guess the concept is the same
you have a new cue
so it's taking time for you to figure things out too
one thing I like about pool tho
is that improvement can be very measurable
I think we're on the right track:thumbup:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
for most pool players their trunk is angled to the shot line and their head position has their nose not pointing parallel with the shaft ie their eyes are not equidistant to the object ball contact point when down on the shot
So if you are not square when in the shooting position
Why align square?
That was my thinking when I started the thread
I personally align with my right foot on the shot line and left foot forward
My head looking a little left of my chest not in a T
Then I step into the shot
My pre shot routine is consistent
I was curious to know if there was a better way
The responses so far have given me something to think about

Dr. Dave posted a video with standing square and walking in. Try it that way, because we are made to sight on objects by squaring off to them. Starting square has even improved some of my students with visual impairment or a glass eye.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...... The other principle is that once the body learns the feel of the alignment, the body must move to the aligned cue. Moving the cue to the body because “it feels right” destroys the alignment that went before. The eyes must find the line of aim and stay there and then the body moves to the aligned cue where it needs to be.

Well put. This is key right here. The pool cue leads the way. Then the body sets up based on the cue position.

The reason players develop a chicken wing is because they place their body down first and then bring the cue to the body. When you place your body down first, the tendency is to straddle the line of the shot because your head is naturally centered between your shoulders, leaving no room for the pool cue other than to pull it under your chest.

Result ---- Chicken wing!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing that has helped me the most is not to focus on getting my head directly over the shot line while standing.

I find that for me, that results in a lot of foot movement to get balanced as I get down into my stance.

Instead I just worry about getting my foot on the line and then bend down into my stance. So instead of my head coming down vertically,it is going down and to the right.

At least that's what it feels like.

I'll try to take a video later to review.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Video in reference to my post above. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suG0sBLf9ec

I lay the stick down on the table to represent the shotline. While you can't see my back foot, it's not hard to tell that it is on the line.

Meanwhile, my head is slightly to (my) left of the line. But everything looks to be in alignment once I get down into my stance.

For the record, I can visualize the shot while standing just fine even though my head doesn't appear to be directly over the shotline.

*Side note* I notice a tendency to pull the cue towards my body on my backswing. What would cause that and how do I fix it?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Video in reference to my post above. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suG0sBLf9ec

I lay the stick down on the table to represent the shotline. While you can't see my back foot, it's not hard to tell that it is on the line.

Meanwhile, my head is slightly to (my) left of the line. But everything looks to be in alignment once I get down into my stance.

For the record, I can visualize the shot while standing just fine even though my head doesn't appear to be directly over the shotline.

*Side note* I notice a tendency to pull the cue towards my body on my backswing. What would cause that and how do I fix it?
Your elbow might be a little “tucked” toward your body...

pj
chgo