Vintage Pool Cues?

You can find some vintage cues very cheap sometimes that play fantastic; if you know what you are looking for there. I found 2 in 2019 for around $20 each. One is a vintage carom cue with IVORY ferrule and inlays from either Spain, Portugal, or South America that was almost mint and plays great! Another was a vintage Excalibur from the early 80s as a guess- that was basically mint- I changed out the old brass joint for a Juma joint and the shafts on those cues are great older growth maple that stay super straight and are super hard maple wood- see photo of new joint. Also found an old Dufferin one piece that I made into a sneaky pete as bar/travel cue- can't beat it for its purpose- also at around $25!
Keep in mind that collectors and "those in the know" troll the vintage cue section always looking for a gem ( like maybe a Bushka) that some person found in an attic, closet, thrift shop, garage sale etc. and the eBay lister has no concept of what they have in their possession for sale.
For 25 years I have been an active "hunter" of ALL things vintage and there are times early in my "hunting" and selling hobby that I found and listed items such as wrist watches, musical instruments, golf clubs- that at the time I knew nothing about- and purchased in some case for $1 and later found out and fortunately sold for $500 or more! Had I not been savy enough, or some ebay buyers honest and forth coming during my auctions; some folks would have bought my $500 market value items for just a few dollars!
After 25 years, I sort of know what is valuable and what is not in many collectible areas; cues included, but no one knows everything about everything, so bargains are always out there somewhere- that is the challenge!

Bargains on good quality vintage cues are pretty rare, and hard to find. A lot of sellers just think their vintage cues are worth a lot more then they actually are. Cues like, Huebler, Mali, McDermott C and D series, Meucci Originals, to name a few. Some have very high demand too.

I have been looking at cues on Ebay and I have noticed Vintage cues get a lot of attention. Does anyone know why? I have never known of any cue collectors so thought that there might be another reason?

Thank you!!

There are collectors who collect vintage McDermott, Viking, Schon, Mali, Brunswick, Meucci, Biagio, Adam / Helmstetter, Viking, and I am probably missing many others, but there is collectors value in all of these cues, depending on the cue, and the condition it is in. Many collectors will buy a cue, and then pay big money to have it restored to mint condition.

Meucci is a big one, that have many collectors, I think because many of their cues are so unique.

Then there are collectors who love classic looking cues, like Bushka style, with points and veneers.

I am a lover of Vintage cues.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been looking at cues on Ebay and I have noticed Vintage cues get a lot of attention. Does anyone know why? I have never known of any cue collectors so thought that there might be another reason?

Thank you!!

I think it's not just from collectors, a lot of people that don't know much about pool think that any old cue is worth hundreds or thousands so sellers stick "vintage" on everything. IMHO some of the stuff should just be labeled as "old junk".

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Old cues are by no means automatically better or worse than new. They're are great cues and absolute garbage in every age group. People will buy anything old but cues, along with musical instruments and a few other things are one of the few areas where many are buying to use it.

Sent from the future.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Many of my relics have come from second hand/antique stores. Many finds in Colorado and Cali. The last time I was in California I scored a very nice vintage butterfly spliced cue for under 20 dollars.

Attachments

• IMG_0698.jpg
    IMG_0698.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 186

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old cues are by no means automatically better or worse than new. They're are great cues and absolute garbage in every age group. People will buy anything old but cues, along with musical instruments and a few other things are one of the few areas where many are buying to use it.

Sent from the future.

Fantastic!! Thank you!!

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's not just from collectors, a lot of people that don't know much about pool think that any old cue is worth hundreds or thousands so sellers stick "vintage" on everything. IMHO some of the stuff should just be labeled as "old junk".

Great!! Thank you!!

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are collectors who collect vintage McDermott, Viking, Schon, Mali, Brunswick, Meucci, Biagio, Adam / Helmstetter, Viking, and I am probably missing many others, but there is collectors value in all of these cues, depending on the cue, and the condition it is in. Many collectors will buy a cue, and then pay big money to have it restored to mint condition.

Meucci is a big one, that have many collectors, I think because many of their cues are so unique.

Then there are collectors who love classic looking cues, like Bushka style, with points and veneers.

I am a lover of Vintage cues.

Great!! Thank you!!

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bargains on good quality vintage cues are pretty rare, and hard to find. A lot of sellers just think their vintage cues are worth a lot more then they actually are. Cues like, Huebler, Mali, McDermott C and D series, Meucci Originals, to name a few. Some have very high demand too.

Great!! Thank you!!

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have several old Brunswick cues that really play well for me. These cues are straight enough and have fat butts, but they were mass produced in the 40's and 50's so they really aren't special as far as their build.

I just feel that they have probably hit more balls then I have and it gets into my head.
I quit thinking about spin or angles and just play. I will take three or four of my vintage cues and throw nine balls on the table and I will play one cue until I run all nine then grab the next one and repeat.

I feel its a tribute to the old girls.

Fantastic!!!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you!!
Why do fat bald white guys buy Corvettes? Takes 'em back to when they were young and had hair. Some of that in vintage cues. Takes you back.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I tried bidding on a E-K1 McDermott, one of my favorite cues ever, 25 years old, kinda vintage, but if in good shape playable still. love the black butt with the white trims and inlays, and the maple forearm, I like that kind of contrast, you don't see it too much anymore. the price got too high for a cue that I haven't held and inspected, but some old cues are just nicer than the new stuff just as new tech has helped make cue that are works of art.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I tried bidding on a E-K1 McDermott, one of my favorite cues ever, 25 years old, kinda vintage, but if in good shape playable still. love the black butt with the white trims and inlays, and the maple forearm, I like that kind of contrast, you don't see it too much anymore. the price got too high for a cue that I haven't held and inspected, but some old cues are just nicer than the new stuff just as new tech has helped make cue that are works of art.

So buy it, return it if there are problems. eBay backs the buyer 100% now. Just say the cue was not as described and you win any dispute.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why do fat bald white guys buy Corvettes? Takes 'em back to when they were young and had hair. Some of that in vintage cues. Takes you back.

I had a '67 427 Vette (try 450+ HP) when I was in my 20's! I could barely handle it then and damn sure couldn't now.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Big block chebbies

I had a '67 427 Vette (try 450+ HP) when I was in my 20's! I could barely handle it then and damn sure couldn't now.

I am a fan of the big block chevrolet engines. Damned few of the owners could handle a stout one. I had some for the track, the one on the street was a warmed over 454 in a 7/8 ton truck. Twisted some necks and made a little money when talk got deep at the speed shop counter or bar. I'd let them brag about their cars awhile then tell them my old truck would outrun them! A cousin had a similar old ratty looking Dodge truck, had a 440 under the hood.

When I let the ponies run one evening leaving work in a hurry a couple of my men were a bit bug eyed the next morning, "Man, what the hell do you have in that truck?"

"Six cylinder."

Hu