i'm intrigued by unusual marking on the tips ... opinions welcome !

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm intrigued by unusual marking on the tips made by a cuemaker... opinions welcome !

hi !

I am very intrigued by some numbers made by a cuemaker, with a pen on the tips .

My question is : are such markings specific to one (or few) cuemaker(s) , or are they +/- common ? I've never seen such markings before.

The picture was taken today, but it's a certified 27 years old test hit :wink:
the cue is brand new, was bought by the current& only owner when he met the cuemaker in the 80's , stored since.

many thanks

erriep

Last edited:

jschelin99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is nothing common about writing numbers on the end of a tip. As a matter of fact, it is extremely uncommon. Therefore, as with countless other uncommon things done by individuals around the world, I have no idea what it means.

Perhaps the cuemaker was experimenting with various glues and this was the 54th different brand?

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is nothing common about writing numbers on the end of a tip. As a matter of fact, it is extremely uncommon. Therefore, as with countless other uncommon things done by individuals around the world, I have no idea what it means.
same here :sorry: !!! . I ain't an expert , and i've never seen this, that's why I posted on this forum area . So unusual !!
experts needed, of strong evidence... i am curious to read the ideas/opinions of the "old bones" .

Last edited:

Busbee Cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
same here :sorry: !!! . I ain't an expert , and i've never seen this, that's why I posted on this forum area . So unusual !!
experts needed, of strong evidence... i am curious to read the ideas/opinions of the "old bones" .

Just a guess but it could also be tip hardness rating or a way to mark what shafts go with what butt.

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for a better understanding of my curiosity , may be i should post a pic of the full cue. ..
here it is .

Just a guess but it could also be tip hardness rating or a way to mark what shafts go with what butt.
IMHO probable way to mark , yes, it looks like something like that to me.. But is it true ? was it typical to the cuemaker ? no idea...

Last edited:

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
Looks lie a Scruggs.
I don't have a clue what the number means, I would guess hardness but who knows.
Lots of people do a lot of weird things to their cues

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I would guess to easily match the shafts with butts, when transporting many cues to a show in a huge dealer case. Probably had multiple cues with the same plain ring work at the joint.

jschelin99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would guess to easily match the shafts with butts, when transporting many cues to a show in a huge dealer case. Probably had multiple cues with the same plain ring work at the joint.

Yup, that makes sense! Especially if there's a sticker numbered 54 on the bottom of the butt.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I had a Tim scruggs which had a number on tip. Was done to match the tip to the butt.
Mine was also 18 years old when I got it and had never hit a ball. I had Tim make me a new shaft and kept the original one pristine.
I forgot to add that the number on the tip was put there BY Mike or Tim. The person I got the cue from had bought it directly
from Tim at the US Open 18 years prior.

www.jbcases.com

Last edited:

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
It is my guess that the person that owned this cue has quite a few cues and has numbered to tips so they know what shafts go to what cue. IMO

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
It could be one of the new OKMorree layered tips that tells how many layers you have left.

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could be one of the new OKMorree layered tips that tells how many layers you have left.
. :wink: hehe tom :) . non-layered tips on those shafts . imho triangle. ;)

I had a Tim scruggs which had a number on tip. Was done to match the tip to the butt.
Mine was also 18 years old when I got it and had never hit a ball. I had Tim make me a new shaft and kept the original one pristine.
I forgot to add that the number on the tip was put there BY Mike or Tim. The person I got the cue from had bought it directly
from Tim at the US Open 18 years prior.

www.jbcases.com
John, you got the point ! this cue was bought to Tim Scruggs in 1985 , in Las Vegas . I believe than it was during a major tournament , but dunno which one
you're right, for sure ! thank you very much for the explanation of those mysterious marks .

what i am very curious to know is, if Tim Scruggs/mike was the only cuemaker to do such markings at this time, or if some other did such kind of marks too ?

Last edited: