Questions about my new OB cue

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

I just received a new OB-124 cue in the mail from an OB dealer--my first cue. I have a couple of questions:

1) My cue did not come with a black OB sleeve. I ordered another OB cue last month from a different OB dealer, but I ended up returning it, and it came with a black OB sleeve. Do all OB cues come with a black sleeve?

2) The butt of my cue has some marks in the finish in the wrap section--it's a no wrap cue:

_DSC4839.jpg

Those marks are only present at the top of the wrap section. I'm disappointed in the finish. Are the marks bad enough where I should feel justified in returning the cue?

Thanks.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

I just received a new OB-124 cue in the mail from an OB dealer--my first cue. I have a couple of questions:

1) My cue did not come with a black OB sleeve. I ordered another OB cue last month from a different OB dealer, but I ended up returning it, and it came with a black OB sleeve. Do all OB cues come with a black sleeve?

2) The butt of my cue has some marks in the finish in the wrap section--it's a no wrap cue:

View attachment 540781

Those marks are only present at the top of the wrap section. I'm disappointed in the finish. Are the marks bad enough where I should feel justified in returning the cue? I'd also let OB know how you received a supposedly brand-new cue from one of their dealers.

Thanks.
New cue outta shine a Mercedes. Send it back if you're not happy.

FuManchu

Not a Pro Player
Silver Member
Was it produced before they shut down? Ive seen a few from that time and they are horrible!

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was it produced before they shut down? Ive seen a few from that time and they are horrible!

Is there a way to tell? Horrible in what way?

Edit: I think this may be an older cue because their website says that the current OB-124 model is made with curly maple, where this cue is made with birdseye maple. I don't know when OB switched from birdseye to curly maple.

Last edited:

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i thought they contracted out the cues and only made the shafts? or is that tiger? either way if the dealer is legit there shouldn't be any issue sending it back

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Return/exchange it.

I think OB's QC has suffered. In my personal experience they make it right... but your mileage may vary.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This could very well be a dealer-related issue. OP should find out for sure. I've seen a lot of OB cues and finish has always been good on ones i've seen/had.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Geez, I'd shoot some balls with it first. If you love the way it feels/hits/gives feedback, then I wouldn't worry too much about some minor finish marks....unless they are absurdly bad.

Maniac

FuManchu

Not a Pro Player
Silver Member
Is there a way to tell? Horrible in what way?

Edit: I think this may be an older cue because their website says that the current OB-124 model is made with curly maple, where this cue is made with birdseye maple. I don't know when OB switched from birdseye to curly maple.

OB's quality control kinda fell apart when Royce passed. They were just blowing poor quality cues out and it hurt them. Im not sure whos at fault here but i did see a few that were pretty bad. Brand new cues with dust under the finish, loose pin on another. I really hope they come back strong because they used to be at the top of their game!

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
This could very well be a dealer-related issue. OP should find out for sure. I've seen a lot of OB cues and finish has always been good on ones i've seen/had.

Not sure you’re looking very hard. Second worst in finishing a cue behind Schmelke.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

View attachment 540781

Those marks are only present at the top of the wrap section. I'm disappointed in the finish. Are the marks bad enough where I should feel justified in returning the cue?

Thanks.

Yes! you should return the cue. I have half a dozen OB shafts and the quality has gone down. The S-line shaft OB recently shipped me was wrapped in one layer of Styrofoam wrap and a thin triangle light weight box. Every other OB shaft in the past was well wrapped in a plastic tube inside a heavy cylinder. You should expect a new cue free from defects in workmanship. Do not settle! Two cents

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
new cue should be new. those marks don't mean anything if you plan on playing with it, I played a guy today whos been playing with the same meucci for 42 years, it had the marks and nicks to show it, dead straight, I offered to buy it from him and he said he has it in his will to be buried with it. but if you plan on selling it one day, youd be lucky to get 90 bucks for it.

quick question, looking it at it it looks like its not the finish but the handles coloring. is it the finish(the clear coating) or the wood?

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
new cue should be new. those marks don't mean anything if you plan on playing with it, I played a guy today whos been playing with the same meucci for 42 years, it had the marks and nicks to show it, dead straight, I offered to buy it from him and he said he has it in his will to be buried with it. but if you plan on selling it one day, youd be lucky to get 90 bucks for it.
Yeah, so if I decide to keep the cue and if for some reason I don't get along with the cue, and I want to sell it, then I would have to disclose those marks to any buyer, which would lower the cue's resale value.

But, I have a question: if you use a cue for say a year, will the butt have marks all over it?

quick question, looking it at it it looks like its not the finish but the handles coloring. is it the finish(the clear coating) or the wood?

I can't really tell because I am so inexperienced. At first, I thought the marks were dirt on the finish, so I tried to wipe it off. But the circular pattern of those marks makes me think they might have been made on a lathe.

I sent the picture to the dealer, jjcue, and this was the response I got back :

it is a brand new cue we never pull it out from the plastic bag. that is OB quality.

That reply is surprising for a couple of reasons. I would think a dealer would at least check to make sure the cue isn't warped before sending it out.

jjcue has this guarantee on their website:

Guarantee We guarantee our cues are straight and all of our products are free of defects. This guarantee applies to defects in parts or workmanship only and does not cover used or abused merchandises. If you receive any of our products and you think there are defects, please contact us immediately. You may request an exchange, a full credit, or refund. We also have a price guarantee and a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee.

But, I think jjcue's reply implies that if I want to return the cue, they are going to charge me a 15% restocking fee, which is around $64, and if I add in shipping and insurance, say $30, then it will cost me $94 to return the cue. :(

I also sent the image to OB cues, and I am awaiting a response from them.

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A lot of dealers with OB are stuck with old stock cues.

Whenever I ordered new OB cues I always got it in an OB case.

The quality always sucked. I had to send back 50% of all my new OB cues because of defects.

People want to know whose fault it was? I'd blame the production manager who is now President.

Not hard to check everything that goes out before shipping.

I've sent back defective cues and OB says to me ----- "looks good to me." OMG how sad.

Worst company I've ever dealt with. I sent back defective shafts and they sent me new defective shafts for a replacement.

A lifetime guarantee is no good if you have to keep paying for postage back and forth.

Been stuck with a new OB cue for a couple years now. No one even wants it for wholesale price.

Definitely on my "do not deal list."

And Meucci, if you don't get better soon you'll be next................................LOL

SnakePool

Number 1 Photo Guy
Silver Member
OP, send us an email about or give us a call. We will take care of it. Being Birdseye it’s an older model, either way no excuse. When I came back to OB, I heard a lot of what was happening and substandard QC. We have been working very hard to make sure we make everything we can right. You can also go to the website, under the warranty section is a product return form. Fill it out, submit and print and Include it with your cue. We will get it taken care of.

I apologize for what you received and we will do what we can to help you out.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems that I may have sent my cue into a black hole. OB's return form says that they will contact you once they receive your cue. After my tracking number said that my cue had been delivered and I hadn't heard anything back from OB for 7 days, I sent them an email asking them if they received my cue. I received a prompt reply saying that they had received my cue, and OB would get back to me later that day with an ETA for my cue being sent back to me. I waited another five days without hearing anything back, so I sent another email asking them if they had an ETA yet and if I could buy an OB towel and have it shipped back to me with the cue. I waited another four days without a reply, so I just sent OB this email:

Hi,

I still have not heard back from OB Cues about an expected ETA for getting my cue back. At this point, I would just like to get a refund and move on. If you could send me an email stating that the cue has a defect in workmanship, then I can relay that email to your dealer, J & J America, and under their terms of service, I should be able to get a refund. If they agree to give me a refund, then you can send the cue to J & J America when you are done repairing it.

Thanks.