The Passing of a great player Frank Tullos

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I just received a text verifying what I knew would be next and Frank Tullos a great old School Pool Player has passed.

I don't know any details at this point except there will be a celebration of his life in the up coming days that I'll announce here at Break Time Billiards and Sportsbar on Jonestown Rd in Winston Salem.

If I had a Pool Mentor Frank was it. I am sad to see him go but he got a bad roll recently and now he's out of pain. Below is a picture of him doing his annual tournament with the Arbor Acres crowd and a YouTube of him at his place when he owned it. Its him breaking and running the balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnBQ2CeBh9c

Another thread about Frank that deserves mentioning https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=508644

I'll eventually tell a funny pool story on Frank here. One I told at his memorial at Break Time on Jonestown Rd. in Winston Salem

FrankTullosArborAcres.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just received a text verifying what I knew would be next and Frank Tullos a great old School Pool Player has passed.

I don't know any details at this point except there will be a celebration of his life in the up coming days that I'll announce here at Break Time Billiards and Sportsbar on Jonestown Rd in Winston Salem.

If I had a Pool Mentor Frank was it. I am sad to see him go but he got a bad roll recently and now he's out of pain. Below is a picture of him doing his annual tournament with the Arbor Acres crowd and a YouTube of him at his place when he owned it. Its him breaking and running the balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnBQ2CeBh9c

View attachment 543334
Very sad news - the pool world has lost a great one, even though most here are likely not familiar with Frank. I visited Frank in the hospital a week ago. He was in good spirits and he was well aware of his dire situation. He felt he had lived a full life and was at peace with himself. He told me about his final pool session before being hospitalized, and how well he’d played. I’d planned on another visit with him this coming week. I will post any info regarding his memorial service when I can.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I love that photo. Never saw it before. There is a great story (and photo) about Frank in my book. We had an epic poolroom adventure that made us both a lot of money and resulted in me taking a beating over it. I don't regret it though. We took on a den of hustlers and came out on top!

He probably owned that poolroom in the video. Frank was a very successful room owner. I regret not spending more time with him as we got older. He set up shop on the East Coast and I did the same out West.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As recently as last year, at age 72, Frank had a high finish at the Derby City one pocket or banks event (I can’t recall which) including victories over Corey Deuel and Shannon Daulton. At a big one pocket tournament in Hickory, NC last year, he went hill-hill vs Tony Chohan.

Even in recent years, he wasn’t fearful of matching up with virtually anyone, particularly playing one pocket. Last November, Frank took down our pool room’s top player in 9-ball (his least preferred game) in a 12 hour marathon session!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If I remember correctly, yrs ago he was in bad car accident and quit for some time, and shortly thereafter, he sold his cue/Balabuska? to Steve Cook.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Sometime tomorrow on Monday I hope to have the final information about the Memorial.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometime tomorrow on Monday I hope to have the final information about the Memorial.
A memorial service for Frank Tullos will be held this Wednesday, March 11 from 2pm until 4pm at Breaktime Billiards, 420 Jonestown Rd., Winston-Salem, NC. Frank was the original owner, then part owner at Breaktime Billiards for the past 30+ years. Frank was still a regular fixture at Breaktime, playing and giving lessons, even after selling out his share of the business a number of years ago.

EZMoney

Could this be your money?
Silver Member
Legend

RIP Frank,

I had the honor of playing Frank one pocket shortly before he went to the Hospital. We played one hole 10/7, he won must of the games but I did win one or two of them.
A friend of mine was watching that didn't know who Frank was. After a little while went on I said in a laud voice so Frank could hear, "This guy is a legend" and yes he was.

GOD SPEED

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Chris,
I linked the other thread in with this one at the original post so both will be visible to
people. When I get around to it I'll tell the story I told about Frank at his memorial.