Are there any really great virtual pool games out there?

I wonder, are there any really great virtual pool games out there?

A virtual pool game that would be approved, and maybe created with the help of an advanced pool player?

A virtual pool game where you can actually used English on the cue ball, and the game would work exactly the same as it would in real world situations?

I am going to assume that there are not. At least not any that I would find really enjoyable.

I played a few in the past, but I got bored with them really quickly. The balls just did not react in the same way they would in real world game play. Also, there were no options to use any kind of English on the cue ball.

Anyways, long shot question, but are there any really good virtual pool games out there, that advanced players might enjoy, and approve of?

I have not tried any in ages, so maybe technology has advanced enough, that someone out there designed a really great virtual pool game that real pool players might really enjoy playing.

Thanks.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know, but if you follow that link and listen to the music in the video... you'll become a man.

Chembry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
VP4 is great. I have spent quite a bit of time playing that game. Check out some youtube videos and you will get a good sense of the game. I really enjoy the tour mode.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder, are there any really great virtual pool games out there?

A virtual pool game that would be approved, and maybe created with the help of an advanced pool player?

A virtual pool game where you can actually used English on the cue ball, and the game would work exactly the same as it would in real world situations?

I am going to assume that there are not. At least not any that I would find really enjoyable.

I played a few in the past, but I got bored with them really quickly. The balls just did not react in the same way they would in real world game play. Also, there were no options to use any kind of English on the cue ball.

Anyways, long shot question, but are there any really good virtual pool games out there, that advanced players might enjoy, and approve of?

I have not tried any in ages, so maybe technology has advanced enough, that someone out there designed a really great virtual pool game that real pool players might really enjoy playing.

Thanks.

Virtual pool has been modeling spin on the ball and general physics, the first version came out in 1995 that's quite a while ago. What other games did you try that did not have spin? This one was out 25 years ago.

Virtual pool has been modeling spin on the ball and general physics, the first version came out in 1995 that's quite a while ago. What other games did you try that did not have spin? This one was out 25 years ago.

I tried Virtual Pool 4 out today, and I could not figure out how to use English on the cue ball.

It was the free version, so I think I need to pay the $24.99, or whatever it costs to unlock all the the settings.

The free trial did not tell me any options for using any type of English on the cue ball, so all of the shots were just center ball, on the cue ball.

I can't remember the names of others that I have tried in the past, but they were very much the same as this one seems to be.

I guess the free versions do not allow you to use any English on the cue ball.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The CEO of Celeris (the company that made Virtual Pool) is a very good player. He was very careful to make the action look "right". The simulation is 3-D so you can play shots where the balls jump off the cushion over other balls. Squirt, swerve and throw are modeled.

Virtual Pool is accurate enough that you can reasonably test shots on it before you try them on the table.

The rules of many games are included. There are also computer opponents of various strengths.

I normally only use VP in practice/setup mode. If you turn on "tracking" the paths of all the balls will be shown for the aim, spin and speed you have set up, as in this one pocket shot:

CropperCapture[508].jpg

You can change the view to whatever you want. Here is the player's-eye view of the same shot:

CropperCapture[509].jpg

I think there is a free demo version.

Here is trick shot that is one of my favorites on a real table. The cue ball is played with stun and extreme right side spin. It hits the five and stops almost in place. The five ball goes three cushions and comes back and hits the cue ball which goes three cushions to make the two ball.

CropperCapture[510].jpg

On this particular try, the five ball came off the cue ball after the second hit and went in the pocket.

The CEO of Celeris (the company that made Virtual Pool) is a very good player. He was very careful to make the action look "right". The simulation is 3-D so you can play shots where the balls jump off the cushion over other balls. Squirt, swerve and throw are modeled.

Virtual Pool is accurate enough that you can reasonably test shots on it before you try them on the table.

The rules of many games are included. There are also computer opponents of various strengths.

I normally only use VP in practice/setup mode. If you turn on "tracking" the paths of all the balls will be shown for the aim, spin and speed you have set up, as in this one pocket shot:

View attachment 544726

You can change the view to whatever you want. Here is the player's-eye view of the same shot:

View attachment 544727

I think there is a free demo version.

Here is trick shot that is one of my favorites on a real table. The cue ball is played with stun and extreme right side spin. It hits the five and stops almost in place. The five ball goes three cushions and comes back and hits the cue ball which goes three cushions to make the two ball.

View attachment 544729

On this particular try, the five ball came off the cue ball after the second hit and went in the pocket.

Would love to see a video of that trick shot.

Looks really cool.

They do not allow me to use English in the free Demo version. I guess I will need to buy it for around $24.99, to unlock the full version.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought ShootersPool. There is good online stuff going on. It is even better than virtual pool but slightly harder maybe. I just won 10-ball tournament on Diamond rosewood 10ft table. Bigftoot Challenge created by Youtuber Sharivari.. :p

You can test it free and buy it later...

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just bought ShootersPool. There is good online stuff going on. It is even better than virtual pool but slightly harder maybe. I just won 10-ball tournament on Diamond rosewood 10ft table. Bigftoot Challenge created by Youtuber Sharivari.. :p

You can test it free and buy it later...
How accurate is the modeling?

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am stuck at home. I can play match 14.1 and stream it later. Probably 50 min from here. I post a link on this thread soon..

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well we may have a new stuck in the house thing to do, try to get the top AZB high run in 14.1 in virtual pool games.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried Virtual Pool 4 out today, and I could not figure out how to use English on the cue ball.

It was the free version, so I think I need to pay the $24.99, or whatever it costs to unlock all the the settings.

The free trial did not tell me any options for using any type of English on the cue ball, so all of the shots were just center ball, on the cue ball.

I can't remember the names of others that I have tried in the past, but they were very much the same as this one seems to be.

I guess the free versions do not allow you to use any English on the cue ball.

From what I remember of the first version of the game and the trial versions I could apply spin to the cueball, and it was as easy as clicking the mouse and moving it around to position the tip. A lot of those online pool games may not have spin as an option. The pool game that is popular on phones is actually pretty decent, but gets annoying once you get to higher level play since a lot of people use cheats to just make every shot without knowing about position, and it may be tough to line up the shot properly to make it without a lot of practice.