Help w/ 100 Year old table to Research/Restore?

Wink

14.1 Wannabe
Silver Member
OK, so I have a table that I would like to source some history on, as well as get an idea of how much it would cost to get it restored. Restored may not be the proper term;

I would like to get the drop pockets restored/replaced
The pocket nets are rotted and need to be replaced
The cloth needs to be replaced with some nice tournament grade cloth like Simonis (or best recommendation)
The bumpers are like rocks, so they'll need to be replaced.

I can redo and refinish the wood myself, unless it is just not worth the hassle.

The table itself is an old table-top model which measures outside diameters of:

71" long
40" wide
9" tall

I have attached pictures to help you get an idea of what it is, as I have never seen anything like it. The history is that this table was my Great Grandpa's table, which I grew up watching him play on (but was never allowed to touch).

He got it when he got married around 1905. So this table is right about 100 years old in my family. I just got it from my uncle today, first time I have seen it in 30 years.

Serial Number or Model Number (I assume) is on the bottom of the table in paint as 7542

4958593736_7e16975a50_z.jpg

4958593428_7da9d5d706_z.jpg

4957998763_cb4fc27dc0_z.jpg

4957998563_04c50eeaf8_z.jpg
4957998375_b243acb8ed_z.jpg

As you can see, the table is from The Brunswick Balke Collender Co. (which was created through merger in 1884), and it has some sort of a wood bed instead of slate apparently called Astralite. Of course, this could be just the info about what the bed of the table is, not the table itself. Unfortunately, the diamond shaped plate on the top of the table that usually has the table name on it is no longer there.

For size and scale comparison, it is sitting on top of my 9' Diamond Professional table. Any info that you could provide about how I might source more info on this table would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I love to get a good guess on who does a great work in this kind of table, and what I might need to budget.

Thanks for any assistance that any of you might be able to provide. :)

Last edited:

Wink

14.1 Wannabe
Silver Member
Arghh... need to fix the image links, apparently they are passworded.

Wink

14.1 Wannabe
Silver Member
Ok, moved images to another site, hopefully they are visible now.

bobalouiecda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Astralite

The pool table in its day was built well. It was made to be light weight. It sold for about $50 give or take five bucks in the early 1900s.
Astralite was made similar to bowling alley lanes with laminated wood, then treated to be waterproof. Normally I think it came with leveling blocks for easy leveling on the dining room table. They came with Monarch cushions as were the larger tables. Ivory sights.

Wink

14.1 Wannabe
Silver Member
Thanks! This table has ivory or mother of pearl diamonds, round actually, and is very well built.

As I mentioned it is missing the plackard for the table info but it looks like one of these might be the right one for replacement.

Curious if this one was silver or gold.

np11b.jpg

np2b.jpg

Underneath, it has a very cool leveling system. On each of the metal cross bars, there is a leveling screw near each end so that you can true up the table and account for the table that it is sitting on as well as any potential warpage of the table surface, or so it looks to me.

I wonder what year this was made, and perhaps what model it was. I'd love to be able to authenticate this thing. Based on the plackards though, it looks like you nailed it on the head that they had Monarch Cushions!!

Last edited:

fsarfino

♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘ ♙
Thanks for posting the pics of this table. Looks really cool and I'm sure it would be fun to play on.

Best of luck with the restoration.

This company may be able to help you with restoring the pockets

http://www.hoodleather.com

Wink

14.1 Wannabe
Silver Member
Thanks for posting the pics of this table. Looks really cool and I'm sure it would be fun to play on.

Best of luck with the restoration.

This company may be able to help you with restoring the pockets

http://www.hoodleather.com

Thanks! I'll check them out!

Off topic, but would find it hard to play with that view in the background.

Funny you should mention that. It is actually very relaxing. Great place to play 8 or 9 in the daytime, at night, it is pitch black out there, so it is indeed easier to focus. But it is a very VERY relaxing place to play all day.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Without seeing it in person, I'd say that the table is probably a Brunswick " Quick Demountable " (or some variation of it )

a description from the Brunswick catalog:

Quick Demountable
From the 1915 Brunswick-Balke-Collender Co. catalog, pages 9, 10, 11 and 12:

- Brunswick Quick Demountable Table, with stand, for use on Living Room, Dining or Library Table. Made in 3 sizes, 2 1/2 x 5', 3 x 6' and 3 1/2 x 7'. Furnished as a pocket billiard table or as a combination carom and pocket table.

This is an ideal table for a home that has not the space for a table with folding or detachable legs or one of the more pretentious Brunswick Home Billiard Table swith slate beds. The table here illustrated may be placed on top of any living room, dining room or library table, and by the use of th elevelling blocks, which we furnish free of charge with this table, it is quickly adjusted and furnishes a perfectly level playing surface.

This table is built of thoroughly seasoned genuine oak and has a rich mission finish. It is a master piece of cabinet work, the handiwork of Brunswick experts, which in itself is a guarantee of the highest quality of workmanship. The rails are inlaid with diamond shaped sights of genuine ivory. It is equipped with Monarch Quick Acting Rubber Cushions, has a genuine Astralite Ever-Level Bed and has all the scientific playing qualities for which the name Brunswick stands.

The light weight of this table makes it practical to set it aside at a moment's notice when the table is not in use.

1916 prices, FOB Muskegon, Michigan:
2 1/2 x5', including playing equipment, pocket: $30; combination pocket and carom: $35.
3x6', including playing equipment, pocket: $50; combination pocket and carom: $55.
3 1/2 x 7', including playing equipment, pocket: $60; combination pocket and carom: $65.

source

However, the catalog information says "diamond shaped sites"
your rails might not be original? (or re-veneered?)
might not be the same model?
might be a variation of same model?

I recommend contacting Derrick at www.billiardrestoration.com
He can also give you a better idea of restoration costs etc
Tell him I said hi

Nice table - good luck!

Wink

14.1 Wannabe
Silver Member
Thanks for the help and for the referral. Your catalog date is 1915, and the table was purchased in 1905 or 1906 so that could be the small difference in the round sights vs. the diamond shaped sights... just guessing of course.

I reach out to your lead and see what comes of it. I'll be sure to tell him you referred me, thanks again.

cinemafreak

Registered
Hello,

I found your post and have a similiar table that I am trying to identify. Did you ever get more information? Mine has large legs that fold which is different from the table you have and the one in the catalogue. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• DSC_0145.jpg
    DSC_0145.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,474
  • DSC_0150.jpg
    DSC_0150.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,362
  • DSC_0144.jpg
    DSC_0144.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,414

Mr. Bass Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if these type tables had originally been salesman samples that turned into a production design, which evolved in the prohibition era billiardette tables? I've long been infatuated with billiardette tables and miniature tables in general (I actually own a franklin mint brunswick table that actually plays ok). I love the look of the one above cinemafreak, that frame really makes it!