Collection on a budget

Ravenbrook

Registered
Hello everyone. I've been playing for a long time and had a Schon for over 20 years and just recently bought a new cue. It is a Mezz and while I like it, it lacks character so I decided to order two different custom cues. I ordered a Chris Nitti wrapless cue last week and just today I ordered a Rich Howard Ebony Sneaky Pete. Heard good things about both of those guys so I got the ball rolling.

My question is if you wanted to have 5 or 6 different cues (other than break cues) what would you order/buy if your budget was $1500 max per cue. I want these to be players and not so much collectible cues. I'm not into really flashy cues, my Nitti on order is just Ebony forearm and butt with a Cocobolo wrap with a little ringwork.

There are a ton of good cue makers out there but I have no idea what separates a $2000 Merry Widow by a cuemaker like Bluegrass cues from a $400 MW by Mezz.

I am thinking that a Sugartree and a Bluegrass might make the list, but I'm open to any suggestions. Who do I need to look at, perhaps an up and comer that's not a household name?

And no, I will not save up and spend the whole budget on just one cue.

Thanks,

Rick

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Collecting Sneaky's is a way to have some nice cues without spending a lot of money. The draw back to that is they seem to have a lack of value. I personally don't like the idea of having multiple players. I find it best to pick a cue and stick with it. I'm down to 2 I won't sell and have a 3rd on the way. I hope to have one for bar use and the other for the pool hall.

I think a Blue Grass Merry Widow would make a great cue both as a player and collectible.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
For value and investment, I'm thinking maybe the old Schons would be a good way to go. Look for sharp points and inlays, 1980's cues, S or R catalog, something like that.

Buying an array of $1500 new lower end custom cues sounds like a 30% to 50% money loser to me, although I think you'll be fine with your Nitti and Howard cues.

Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Admittedly I am a little biased ☺, but for real and seriously Bob Frey should be on your short short list. If you have never played with one DO IT. Not only will you get one of the best playing cues , best made cues, but they are sure to rise in value in the near future as he is already semi retired and I don't expect too many more to come out of his shop. If you don't already know he was with Timmy Scruggs for ,any years and produced MANY of the cues that ca,email out of his shop. On top of that the value is excellent and doesn't have to break the bank to get something.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buying an array of $1500 new lower end custom cues sounds like a 30% to 50% money loser to me, although I think you'll be fine with your Nitti and Howard cues.

Chris and I have more than just Palmers in common.

$1,500 is an ample budget for a good cue and you will find cues available from seasoned professional cuemakers.

Avoid new cues and look to the secondary market for the best value. If you exercise patience, you will find excellent cues in fine condition, sometimes under 1k. Simpler cues from PFD Studios and Jerry Rauenzahn (-R- Cues) quickly come to mind.

If you care to develop an interest in vintage cues, you can widen your selection as there are many great cues well within the range of $500 - $1,500 from Palmer and others. The attached pic is a beautiful Mike Fedunka cue with a Szamboti forearm that I bought from a dealer and is within your price range.

Attachments

• Fedunka - rsz_img_5321.jpg
    Fedunka - rsz_img_5321.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 299

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My list of considerations would include:

Bob Runde
Sugartree
Blue Grass
Blackcreek
Andy Gilbert
Chris Nitti
Bob Owen
Corey Barnhart

Lot of good cues to be had in that range.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello everyone. I've been playing for a long time and had a Schon for over 20 years and just recently bought a new cue. It is a Mezz and while I like it, it lacks character so I decided to order two different custom cues. I ordered a Chris Nitti wrapless cue last week and just today I ordered a Rich Howard Ebony Sneaky Pete. Heard good things about both of those guys so I got the ball rolling.

My question is if you wanted to have 5 or 6 different cues (other than break cues) what would you order/buy if your budget was $1500 max per cue. I want these to be players and not so much collectible cues. I'm not into really flashy cues, my Nitti on order is just Ebony forearm and butt with a Cocobolo wrap with a little ringwork.

There are a ton of good cue makers out there but I have no idea what separates a $2000 Merry Widow by a cuemaker like Bluegrass cues from a $400 MW by Mezz.

I am thinking that a Sugartree and a Bluegrass might make the list, but I'm open to any suggestions. Who do I need to look at, perhaps an up and comer that's not a household name?

And no, I will not save up and spend the whole budget on just one cue.

Thanks,

Rick
I would HIGHLY recommend a Josh Treadway cue. This guy just might be the best young maker now. He's about two yrs out on delivery which isn't too bad. A nice 4pt w/leather wrap from him will run you about $1400 and up depending on ring-work and inlays. http://www.treadwaycues.com/ Super nice guy as well.

FuManchu

Not a Pro Player
Silver Member
The absolute best value you will find in the cue world is Jeff Olney! Best playing cue you will ever own.