pj <- but I'm still righ

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So lets hear your aiming system in complete detail. Please include details of your "accurate estimation" process

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
So lets hear your aiming system in complete detail. Please include details of your "accurate estimation" process
1. Accurately estimate the OB contact point
2. Accurately estimate how far to aim CB center from OB contact point
3. Accurately estimate how much squirt/swerve to compensate for

It gets more and more accurate the more I do it, to the point that some days I hardly miss - but it's never "objective", even though it might seem that way, even to me. It's really just more and more accurately estimated.

pj
chgo

P.S. You misspelled "high".

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
1. Accurately estimate the OB contact point
2. Accurately estimate how far to aim CB center from OB contact point
3. Accurately estimate how much squirt/swerve to compensate for

It gets more and more accurate the more I do it, to the point that some days I hardly miss - but it's never "objective", even though it might seem that way, even to me. It's really just more and more accurately estimated.

pj
chgo

P.S. You misspelled "high".

The meaning of objectivity has evolved a bit here in the aiming forum. I believe you could use it to say...

1: you "objectively" get a visual of the OB contact point.
2: you "objectively" aim center CB to the exact distance needed from the contact point, which you can "objectively" see is the same distance from the contact point to the center of the OB, only in the opposite direction.

3: well, this a bit trickier to call objective, but if 1 and 2 can be called objective then you may as well say you "objectively" determine exactly how much to compensate your aim for squirt/swerve.

My point here is that if visuals are considered objective, which is what I've been reading here in the forum for a couple of years now, then all visuals would be objective. So wouldn't that make all aiming systems objective, at least the ones that utilize visuals? :confused:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The meaning of objectivity has evolved a bit here in the aiming forum.

This whole aiming forum exists in a universe rampant with "alternative facts."

Lou Figueroa
apologies to
Kellyanne Conway

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
Holy Cow! PJ's back!

I haven't logged in to the forums in quite a while. In truth, it just wasn't that interesting any more.

But, then, 3:00 a.m. rolled around, I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. So I figured, "What the hell? Let's log in and see what they're arguing about."

And, sure enough, I found an argument about 'objectivity in aiming' going on. So no big surprise there.

But who should I find back at it? Fighting the good fight?

Patrick, "I'm a pretty big deal", Johnson!!

Welcome back!! Although I have been out of touch so long now that someone should be welcoming me back. How long have you been posting again?

Anyway, this was the first thread that caught my eye. I can hardly wait to find out what sort of drivel the CTE contingent is currently spouting. Although, now I have hope that PJ will be right in there, just like old times, defending Reason and Logic from the mindless barbarians.

Until he gets banned again... ;-)

- s.west

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
There's a lot of nice aim advice, free of cost, here on AZ.

Can we use objective and subjective as the dictionary definitions?

A point one can see on an object ball is objective--literally a target objective.

A point in space, like ghost ball center, is subjective, unless you aim through that point to an objective rail point or a real place.

We have objective and subjective targets, and objective and subjective aim components ("aim cb center to strike between the number 1's printed as facing you on the 11-ball" is objective) and "it's about a half-ball hit or so" is by nature subjective.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
There's a lot of nice aim advice, free of cost, here on AZ.

Can we use objective and subjective as the dictionary definitions?

A point one can see on an object ball is objective--literally a target objective.

A point in space, like ghost ball center, is subjective, unless you aim through that point to an objective rail point or a real place.

We have objective and subjective targets, and objective and subjective aim components ("aim cb center to strike between the number 1's printed as facing you on the 11-ball" is objective) and "it's about a half-ball hit or so" is by nature subjective.

This seems very logical.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The definition is actually a point everybody can see (not "visualize", but see with their actual eyes).

And there's still the subjective task of hitting it with the corresponding point on the CB, which nobody can see (but which can be estimated to a workable degree of accuracy after much practice).

These are some of the obvious reasons aiming can never be fully "objective".

pj
chgo

swest

goldmember
Silver Member
Welcome back.

pj
chgo

Thanks. I probably won't stick around for too long. My personal situation has changed in recent years, and priorities have shifted, somewhat.

I'm still s'posed to be on Joel H's list, so if my name ever comes up, and I decide to visit him in person (in the environs of the Windy City), I'd like to let you know and maybe hook up. Assuming you're still in that neighborhood.

It's a 'long shot', as they sasy, but we shall see.

Regards,

- s.west

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
The definition is actually a point everybody can see (not "visualize", but see with their actual eyes).

And there's still the subjective task of hitting it with the corresponding point on the CB, which nobody can see (but which can be estimated to a workable degree of accuracy after much practice).

These are some of the obvious reasons aiming can never be fully "objective".

pj
chgo

Yes, a point that is real/objective not imagined or conjured/subjective. Such a point exists on both the cb and the ob, although the cb is a pure white color and it is hard to find the cb contact point. Yes.