Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page The "arc of the light" aiming system
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#31)
GTeye
AzB Silver Member
GTeye will become famous soon enoughGTeye will become famous soon enough

vCash: 500

08-05-2006, 09:07 PM

I've read alot of books and watched alot of videos about all sorts of aiming systems but to me, these aiming systems are not intended to be something that someone uses for their entire pool career but more as something just to aid in the initial learning process until you naturally start aiming and feeling the angles and can dump these silly systems that make you think far too much and imo complicates everything more than it needs to be.

I think if after 10-15 years of playing pool I'm still looking for lights on a object ball I'd be looking for a different hobby.

Good Post
Old
  (#32)
Rickw
AzB Silver Member
Rickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond repute

Good Post - 08-05-2006, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolcuemaster
I think it helps to train your aim and you get away from using it most of the time after your mind starts aiming for you.
This is what I was trying to say to DM when we were talking about aiming systems. I think that a system of aiming will help you when you first start playing. After you've shot a gazillion balls, you're mind becomes the system you use. Your mind is like a computer, after a while, you just know where to aim the ball.

When I watch the pros play, they seem to me to shoot by feel most of the time. When there's a really tough shot, they look like they're using the ghost ball method, i.e., they'll line up the ob, then line up the cb and shoot.

Rick W.

Old
  (#33)
poolcuemaster
AzB Silver Member
poolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2006, 11:23 PM

Hey Nick only problem is Kevin can't reach my shins, and for only 200 dollars I will explain light aiming a little better.postal money orders only.

Old
  (#34)
GTeye
AzB Silver Member
GTeye will become famous soon enoughGTeye will become famous soon enough

08-06-2006, 01:54 AM

I tend to wait for the image of Jesus to appear on the ball and then I know I have the shot aimed correctly.

This system requires 500 hail mary's per night however and can be quite time consuming.

Old
  (#35)
TheConArtist
Daddy's A Butcher
TheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to TheConArtist Send a message via Yahoo to TheConArtist  
08-06-2006, 02:05 AM

i personally tried the lights on the balls along time ago and made a few shots but it wasn't really that consistent, so i dropped it. I use three systems, Small Ball, Aim and Pivot, and Swivel well the pivot and the swivel are just alike so two systems.

Old
  (#36)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-06-2006, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickw
This is what I was trying to say to DM when we were talking about aiming systems. I think that a system of aiming will help you when you first start playing. After you've shot a gazillion balls, you're mind becomes the system you use. Your mind is like a computer, after a while, you just know where to aim the ball.

When I watch the pros play, they seem to me to shoot by feel most of the time. When there's a really tough shot, they look like they're using the ghost ball method, i.e., they'll line up the ob, then line up the cb and shoot.
This is a good post.

Question: Do you think the vast majority of players are closer to the professionals' level of play such that considering an aiming aiming system is behind them?

IMO, compared to professionals, the vast majority of us are rank amateurs and beginners, regardless of how many years we've been playing.

Fred

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#37)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?
jimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond repute

08-06-2006, 07:20 AM

If you first practice in complete darkness for several hours, then when you do turn the lights on you will notice a great improvement almost immediately.

Old
  (#38)
Rickw
AzB Silver Member
Rickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond reputeRickw has a reputation beyond repute

08-06-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman
This is a good post.

Question: Do you think the vast majority of players are closer to the professionals' level of play such that considering an aiming aiming system is behind them?

IMO, compared to professionals, the vast majority of us are rank amateurs and beginners, regardless of how many years we've been playing.

Fred
Regarding your first question, the answer is no. However, I don't think it matters whether the player is a pro or an amateur, after they've practiced and hit a certain # of balls (I don't know what that # is and it's probaby different for everyone), they will start shooting with feel as opposed to a system even if they don't play that well.

I totally agree with your last comment. The difference even between a short stop and a pro makes the short stop look like a rank amateur and the short stops make the rest of us look pretty weak. Given this, I still think most people that play a lot, even if they don't play that good, tend to dispense with the system and rely more on their feeling of where to hit the ball the more they play. JMHO and my observations over the years.

Rick W.

Old
  (#39)
DelaWho???
Banger McCue
DelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond repute

08-07-2006, 03:57 AM

I have found that the lights are useful for seeing parallel lines on the table. If I'm trying to line something up, and I'm holding my cue over the table the bulbs will cast 3 parallel shadows across the table. It has been helpful for lining up banks.

When I'm lining up a shot and I'm over looking at the OB I'll notice the way the light is falling on the ball and use it to keep track of where the contact point will be as I move back over the CB to shoot. Doesn't matter whather it's tubes or bulbs, for that matter I might just be focusing on a point on the OB and the light has nothing to do with it.... Boy that sounds ambiguous...

McCue Banger McCue

Cues: McDermott D16 BILL000,M64D,BL03
Break: Bacote Jerico Stinger with I1 BigBoy
League: APA: Masters

Old
  (#40)
meucci
meucci
meucci has a reputation beyond reputemeucci has a reputation beyond reputemeucci has a reputation beyond reputemeucci has a reputation beyond reputemeucci has a reputation beyond reputemeucci has a reputation beyond reputemeucci has a reputation beyond reputemeucci has a reputation beyond reputemeucci has a reputation beyond reputemeucci has a reputation beyond reputemeucci has a reputation beyond repute

03-18-2008, 10:26 PM

maybe everybody have his aiming system but what we need is the message from our mind to tell us the ball is going to pocket...
try to do not shot until you have the message from your mind
now you are waiting the message this time is your real time because that there is fast player and the is slower player .
you should wait for message

easy come easy go

Old
  (#41)
enzo
Banned
enzo has a reputation beyond reputeenzo has a reputation beyond reputeenzo has a reputation beyond reputeenzo has a reputation beyond reputeenzo has a reputation beyond reputeenzo has a reputation beyond reputeenzo has a reputation beyond reputeenzo has a reputation beyond reputeenzo has a reputation beyond reputeenzo has a reputation beyond reputeenzo has a reputation beyond repute

03-19-2008, 02:49 AM

all the players that never miss a ball use this system. try it, you'll see.... if you're doing it right.

Old
  (#42)
softshot
Simplify
softshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

03-19-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoveryjones
Has anyone ever used the reflection of the over head lights for a method of aiming.One local referred to it as "the arc of the light",however, I don't know if thats what it should be called.

On the object ball there will be a reflection of the lights above.If the pool halls has 3 lights you will see three, if it has four lights you will see four in an semi circuliar arc.
For a right hand cut:

Ignore those 3 or 4 light reflections and look for a very tiny light reflection to the right of those on the object ball.If the cut is a slight one (say 15 degrees) that tiny little light(but noticable) will appear somewhere halfway between center ball and right side edge like 3/4 ball hit.If it's a 30 degree cut , the little light reflection will appear right near the extreme right edge of the object ball.All you do is aim the center of your cue tip at that little tiny light reflection and in she goes.

I know an A+ local player who swears of the accuracy of this aiming system and uses it almost exclusivley. He says "The lights don't lie."I've only briefly experimented with this method of aiming and experienced some success.He claims it's great especially for long shots. It's supposed to be an old aiming system/secret used by many,particualirly snooker players.

Anyone know if I explained this properly or has/does anyone use it?
Comments?
RJ
so... in a perfect world... with all the tables placed precisely and all the lights hung precisely in the exact center of each table.. and all the lights are the same style and size. then maybe your theory might be worth consideration...

but in the real world its hogwash... sad but true

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help..

Old
  (#43)
kaznj
AzB Silver Member

kaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond reputekaznj has a reputation beyond repute

03-19-2008, 05:30 AM

If you want to learn the light system talk to Ron Vitello. His book is filled with drills that use the light and the edge of the ball with several spot between them. If you want to learn SAM take a lesson from Scott Lee. They two systems are similar. Ron's system uses a few more aiming points. Ron's book is not available in any store. You have to get it from him if he still sells it. If you can get to NYC spend some time with Ron. He's a nice guy and full of knowledge about aiming, banking and kicking. It doesn't take long to learn the SAM system. If you take a lesson from Scott he not only will teach it to you, but he does a great job of smoothing out you stroke. He is an outstanding teacher.

Old
  (#44)
OnePocketChamp
AzB Silver Member
OnePocketChamp has a reputation beyond reputeOnePocketChamp has a reputation beyond reputeOnePocketChamp has a reputation beyond reputeOnePocketChamp has a reputation beyond reputeOnePocketChamp has a reputation beyond reputeOnePocketChamp has a reputation beyond reputeOnePocketChamp has a reputation beyond reputeOnePocketChamp has a reputation beyond reputeOnePocketChamp has a reputation beyond reputeOnePocketChamp has a reputation beyond reputeOnePocketChamp has a reputation beyond repute

03-19-2008, 07:05 AM

The "arc of the lights", now thats a great name of it, has a modern techno sound to it. This aiming systems has been around for many, many years and most players that know it called it "shooting the shine". I'll sometimes still use it when I have lost the feel for the long cut shots and that usually gets me back in stroke for these shots.

Playing cue: Don Wallace butt, OB-Classic shaft
Break cue: Custom Don Wallace w/ G-10 glass ferrule
Case: 3X6 Vintage Jim Murak
Game of Choice: One Hole

The mark of a true Champion, is his ability to win or loose with grace and style.

Old
  (#45)
TheBook
Ret Professional Goof Off
TheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond reputeTheBook has a reputation beyond repute

03-19-2008, 12:59 PM

Someone asked my how I aimed at a ball. I told him that I use the ghostball method was showing him how by aiming my cue at the point of contact to show where the OB had to be hit and where the CB had to be. A drunk passing by said you must be showing him the method of shooting at the lights. I used to use that and nobody could beat me but haven't played in a while so I am not very good at it. I just shook my head and said yeah.

I then continued with my demonstration and said that doesn't make any sense. It it was such a easy surfired method than why can't he still shoot as good as he did.

I have had many players tell me how great they used to be by shooting at the lights. I guess that the new type of lights have changed everything because I don't see any of them shooting lights out.

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: