Phenolic tip chipping

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody having trouble with their phenolic tip chipping. Mind has developed a chip and it seems to be getting larger. This is on my break/jump cue. Also, I'm thinking of having it machined down and installing a hard leather tip. Would this affect the jumping capability of the cue significantly?
Thanks Don

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Is it a combo tip.... tip/ferrule?

I have had 2 people chip them...... it happens.... replace it

Kim

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody having trouble with their phenolic tip chipping. Mind has developed a chip and it seems to be getting larger. This is on my break/jump cue. Also, I'm thinking of having it machined down and installing a hard leather tip. Would this affect the jumping capability of the cue significantly?
Thanks Don

If you're talking about the J&J in your signature, yes that is a pretty common problem. I had J&J break cue at one point that I blew the tip apart on. A 3mm from center hit blew the entire side of the tip apart. They seem to use a cheaper grade of phenolic on their tips. Not to mention the tip being installed on what is pretty much a PVC ferrule doesn't help.

Installing a leather tip will affect jumping. Your best bet is to put a phenolic ferrule on the cue with a super hard leather tip. Otherwise replace with a one piece ferrule/tip.