Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Problem installing Ki-Tech tip
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#16)
KMRUNOUT
AzB Silver Member
KMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-27-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedog View Post
What is a live cutter?
A live cutter is a lathe attachment that has a motor for itself. Or a drive off the main motor. Point is the cutting tool itself is a powered cutter. Imagine a dremel tool or a power drill mounted on the tail stock of the lathe.

Live tooling allows far more machining options. I've seen some beautiful work threading tenons and stuff using live tooling.

KMRUNOUT

Old
  (#17)
KMRUNOUT
AzB Silver Member
KMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2015, 07:58 PM

I have been installing tips for several years now. I've done a million Kamui's and various layered tips, and also many triangles and single layered tips.

I have installed the Ki-Tech medium and the hard. Both went on perfectly, and stayed that way. I have not tried the soft, but have heard they are a little trickier.

KMRUNOUT

Old
  (#18)
DanO
AzB Silver Member
DanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2015, 08:05 PM

AKA Pro Ice Fisherman is correct but I'm not actually live cutting by definition. Don't know a lot of definition, just what works for me.

I lightly chuck the shaft with paper in my front jaw and torque down on the shaft with silicon rubber inside the back jaw. This way no dents. I'm using a 60 live center in my front tailstock with a small brass button that has a matching 60 point in front of it. With the shaft held tight, I come in hard with the tailstock putting pressure on the tip. The brass tool spins with the lathe allowing me to keep pressure on the tip while cutting it. No pressure on the glue joint that way. I recut the front end of a tip to eliminate the wobble if it's pre shaped, or to start the radius if it's a layered. Doesn't matter if it's layered or not. I do this on all my installs. The wobble on pre shaped tips is magnified when you install it if I don't do this. I finish with a razor to flush. Don't want to touch the ferrule with my cutter. Then shape.

Might be kinda overkill but this works for me.

Veeneer
Old
  (#19)
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Veeneer - 01-27-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedog View Post
What is a live cutter?

I use a Rigid Veneer trimmer mounted on the tool post,
I have done about 8 tips using the trimmer, I like it allot but the first tip I did I screwed it up.

The trimmer does a very clean job, but it is a open spinning carbide cutter doing 20,000 rpms.
So don't stick your fingers in it................

MMike

Old
  (#20)
DanO
AzB Silver Member
DanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2015, 08:47 PM

DANG! I'm chuein my nails lookin at that if my cue is in it! No side pressure on the tip though. I love innovation.

Old
  (#21)
KMRUNOUT
AzB Silver Member

01-27-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanO View Post
AKA Pro Ice Fisherman is correct but I'm not actually live cutting by definition. Don't know a lot of definition, just what works for me.

I lightly chuck the shaft with paper in my front jaw and torque down on the shaft with silicon rubber inside the back jaw. This way no dents. I'm using a 60 live center in my front tailstock with a small brass button that has a matching 60 point in front of it. With the shaft held tight, I come in hard with the tailstock putting pressure on the tip. The brass tool spins with the lathe allowing me to keep pressure on the tip while cutting it. No pressure on the glue joint that way. I recut the front end of a tip to eliminate the wobble if it's pre shaped, or to start the radius if it's a layered. Doesn't matter if it's layered or not. I do this on all my installs. The wobble on pre shaped tips is magnified when you install it if I don't do this. I finish with a razor to flush. Don't want to touch the ferrule with my cutter. Then shape.

Might be kinda overkill but this works for me.
I love this idea. Makes perfect sense. I have a concave live center that I basically just use to center the tip and wipe away the excess glue. But I have to take this away once its dry to cut the sides of the tip. Supporting the tip as you describe is a very smart thing to do.

A Harbor Freight store just opened up the street for me. I needed some fresh tools anyway, maybe I'll grab one of those live centers like you have.

Thanks for the tip, so to speak lol!

KMRUNOUT

Old
  (#22)
ddadams
Absolutely love this cue.
ddadams has a reputation beyond reputeddadams has a reputation beyond reputeddadams has a reputation beyond reputeddadams has a reputation beyond reputeddadams has a reputation beyond reputeddadams has a reputation beyond reputeddadams has a reputation beyond reputeddadams has a reputation beyond reputeddadams has a reputation beyond reputeddadams has a reputation beyond reputeddadams has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2015, 10:43 PM

Just stick with it. The mediums need to be cut down about halfway to play properly.

The top layer is way hard.

But they're worth it once you get it right. Best tips out there hands down bar none.

Looking for this CA$H cue. PM me with any information!
http://www.pccues.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=742

Looking to buy an old TAR Sugartree shirt. Several if possible.

Regards,
Danny Adamopoulos

Old
  (#23)
nfuids
eh?
nfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond reputenfuids has a reputation beyond repute

05-12-2016, 06:48 AM

Can any one post a picture of a Ki-Tech tip installed?

I'd like to see the side and top of the tip

It's all relative, keep calm!

Predator SP2 / Cynergy 15k / Victory Soft
Predator BK Rush / Taom tip
Predator Air Jump 2
Mezz MA-FK1 Autographed by Venom

Problem installing Ki-Tech tip
Old
  (#24)
Tommy-D
World's best B player...
Tommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond repute

Problem installing Ki-Tech tip - 05-12-2016, 03:16 PM

I've only seen one of these tips in person,a medium. This is my experience with it.

A couple weeks ago I did my yearly 8-ball tournament in Paris,Tn. My first customer of the day comes up and wanted a tip put on,the medium is what he had.

I used a fresh out of the package bottle of Loctite Pro and glued it on,no problems there. I noticed this tip was VERY thick and would probably need to be thinned down some.

I never got that far. I took a couple .010 passes with my recently sharpened carbide cutter in the toolpost.

I pulled out a brand-new Lenox Gold utility blade and started to cut the side flush. I didn't get halfway thru the sidewalls and POOF,next thing I know the tip was almost 5/8 tall,and so soft I pushed the tip sideways enough to watch it change shape.

I went ahead and used a sharp parting tool and cut about half the height down and tried again to finish the sidewalls down.

No dice,it fluffed up visibly yet again,so I informed the customer that the tip was bad to begin with,and wound up installing an Ultraskin because he didn't have another Ki-Tech on hand.

I am not saying this is a totally bunk product,or try and bash Renfro who provides these tips.

What I am saying is that in my very limited experience with them,that the failure rate is 100%. Hopefully,that is just an isolated incident. Tommy D.

"I'm going to try to work it out so at the end its a pure guts race.............because if it is..............I'm the only one that can win." Steve Prefontaine

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: