Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Pool Cues now made in China?
Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Selection is key
Old
  (#76)
rackem
SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
rackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond reputerackem has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

Selection is key - 12-26-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratcues
Wow, this post got way off track. The original question asked about the quality of Chinese-made cues. Politics, environment, etc, aside, anytime you mass produce a cue, quality suffers no matter where the cue is made. Do not read too far into that statement.... There are several quality manufacturers out there.

There is something special that goes into a cue that only the cuemaker can give. We "listen" to the cue, from start to finish. We hand select every aspect of that particular cue. Its a labor of love, and we love cues. It is not a job. It is a passion. You cannot get that off of an assembly line.

If cost is a concern, there are plenty of good cuemakers that can make cues for under $1000. Request it and they will come.....
To bring the thread back on target, Yes, there are plenty of junky cues that are being made in China. I don't sell them. However, there are some pretty decent ones I do sell. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=49788
Just as there is a selection process in Custom Cue building, There is also a wood and materials selection process involved with Importing Production Cues. The Labor of love comes when I am Hand Selecting the finest examples of what's available for my personal customers who are looking to spend under $100.

Last edited by rackem; 12-26-2006 at 01:44 PM.

Old
  (#77)
Gerald
AzB Silver Member
Gerald has a reputation beyond reputeGerald has a reputation beyond reputeGerald has a reputation beyond reputeGerald has a reputation beyond reputeGerald has a reputation beyond reputeGerald has a reputation beyond reputeGerald has a reputation beyond reputeGerald has a reputation beyond reputeGerald has a reputation beyond reputeGerald has a reputation beyond reputeGerald has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-26-2006, 11:32 PM

I just got a cue from JoeyInCalif last week for under a 1000 and it hits better than the Tad I recently sold. In fairness thou ghthe Tad didn't have the original shafts. I know the effort that went into my new cue and the diligence in selecting and aging the wood.

In a country of 1.3 billion it is crazy to think that there is not great quality in every type of product being made there as well as dreck. There is also a difference in production cues, that some are talking about, and limited custom cues that others are talking about.

Since there seems to be several Az members living there I was wondering if most of China's wood used in their manufacturing was coming from this continent?

Old
  (#78)
ratcues
No yodeling, please.
ratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-27-2006, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald
Since there seems to be several Az members living there I was wondering if most of China's wood used in their manufacturing was coming from this continent?
That's one reason that the cost of shaft wood has gone through the roof. Most of it is being sent overseas.

I am no longer working for Mueller Rec Products.

You cannot kill me with kindness. I don't buy it...

Ryan Theewen

Contact me through Facebook or ratnroll@hotmail.com

Old
  (#79)
DaveK
pre-proscribed
DaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 526

12-27-2006, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratcues
That's one reason that the cost of shaft wood has gone through the roof. Most of it is being sent overseas.
We Canadians are proud of our maples ... heck, it's our national tree and it's leaf adorns our flag ... but we certainly do not have the maple tree to ourselves. It is the State tree of four states :Vermont, New York, Wisconsin, and West Virginia. While the 'Hard Rock' maple / sugar maple (Acer saccharum) is commonly used for shafts, there are many many species of maples, and a lot of them are native to China. I understand that Acer saccharum is about the hardest and strongest of the maples (and makes very tasty syrop), but are there not some Chinese maples that would have reasonable pool shaft qualities ? We may be running short of syrop down the road.

Dave

Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: