Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#61)
Sven
AzB Bronze Member
Sven is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

01-10-2020, 07:13 AM

Rafael Martinez in the mid 90`s in a small house-tournament in Germany. I won the lag and lost 5:0

not good
Old
  (#62)
jackpot
AzB Silver Member
jackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond repute

not good - 01-10-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Nole View Post
How was the fishing?
Federales grabbed us as soon as we reached deep water. Randall was extradited
back to Shawshank to serve out his sentence. Red and I jumped overboard and
made it safely to shore.
jack

Old
  (#63)
OklaPony
AzB Silver Member
OklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond repute

01-10-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
Dave Matlock was really a great player
I believe he comes close to being what people
imagine a money player to be

he went up against anyone willing to play. Stayed in
constant action,played at the very top level
bar pool. Had stakehorses that constantly and consistently made money.

And he played so very good and high and often

My impression was that wherever he went ,he played.

He wasn't a Nick varner ,but he was and still may be great.

What was his stake horse name?
Might've changed depending on the era but you're probably thinking of Bill Duggan.

Custom McDermott
Sneaky Petree
Picone J/B

Unfortunately they've all been collecting dust for WAY too long.

Old
  (#64)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

01-10-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardusm View Post
Just played Dave last Friday night in a tournament. Looking good and he his hitting some balls and going to play at the Derby.
Is he gonna play banks? Glad to hear he's playin' some.

Old
  (#65)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

01-10-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardusm View Post
Just played Dave last Friday night in a tournament. Looking good and he his hitting some balls and going to play at the Derby.

Old
  (#66)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

01-10-2020, 10:42 AM

If I were to attempt to name all the players I refereed for it would take many pages on here. I would estimate that I've played a few hundred real pool players (hustlers, road men, tournament players, etc.) In my lifetime, from Willie and Fats to Ronnie, Boston Shorty, Jersey Red, Brooklyn Johnny, Irish, Buddy and Earl, Wade Crane aka Billy Johnson, Billy Incardona, Lisciotti and Marino, to Keith and Louie, and on and on I could go but I won't.

A few celebs I have met and played pool with include Warren Beatty (on the set of Dick Tracy), Tom Cruise (just showed him a few shots at Q-Masters when he and Scorsece were scouting the U.S. Open), Jerry Buss (the owner of the Lakers in my poolroom at Hollywood Park), Keifer Sutherland (9-Ball for 20 a game at the Hollywood Athletic Club), John Stamos (on the set of his TV show Loving), Don Johnson, Telly Savalas and Jimmy Caan at Ye Billiard Den in Hollywood (for $), Dennis Miller the comdian (I shot the opening shot on his late night TV show), Paul Pierce the basketball player and Donny Osmond at the same charity event. I'm probably forgetting a few, like Joe Rogan and a couple of other Hollywood types.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Last edited by jay helfert; 01-10-2020 at 10:54 AM.

Old
  (#67)
PoolBum
AzB Silver Member

PoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1190

01-10-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
If I were to attempt to name all the players I refereed for it would take many pages on here. I would estimate that I've played a few hundred real pool players (hustlers, road men, tournament players, etc.) In my lifetime, from Willie and Fats to Ronnie, Boston Shorty, Jersey Red, Brooklyn Johnny, Irish, Buddy and Earl, Wade Crane aka Billy Johnson, Billy Incardona, Lisciotti and Marino, to Keith and Louie, and on and on I could go but I won't.

A few celebs I have met and played pool with include Warren Beatty (on the set of Dick Tracy), Tom Cruise (just showed him a few shots at Q-Masters when he and Scorsece were scouting the U.S. Open), Jerry Buss (the owner of the Lakers in my poolroom at Hollywood Park), Keifer Sutherland (9-Ball for 20 a game at the Hollywood Athletic Club), John Stamos (on the set of his TV show Loving), Don Johnson, Telly Savalas and Jimmy Caan at Ye Billiard Den in Hollywood (for $), Dennis Miller the comdian (I shot the opening shot on his late night TV show), Paul Pierce the basketball player and Donny Osmond at the same charity event. I'm probably forgetting a few, like Joe Rogan and a couple of other Hollywood types.
I've met many more celebs than I've played pool with, but I did play Jimmy Smits some 8-ball at House of Billiards in Santa Monica. He was terrible at pool, but a nice guy.

Old
  (#68)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-10-2020, 11:27 AM

I got to play my dad....and that's all that matters to me.

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#69)
Mkindsv
AzB Silver Member
Mkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond reputeMkindsv has a reputation beyond repute

01-10-2020, 12:39 PM

Every single peron that wanted to play, and then some.

Old
  (#70)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

01-10-2020, 01:04 PM

Bill Dugan , that sounds right

I never played Dugan or Matlock,but I did win a pile from dugan
in an all night heads up poker game. i threw in with a fellow named James Dunn
and slept through the match only to wake up winner.

I got a lecture from the kibiters becuse if I had watched,I might have learned something.

I didn't have an excuse for my loss of opportunity so I just grinned and explained that I nodded off.

Is Dugan still with us,I haven't heard his name since then?

Jay could tell us some good stories if he had a mind to. He is quite a player and a bit of a character too.

Old
  (#71)
Dead Money
AzB Silver Member
Dead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

01-10-2020, 03:03 PM

Who have I played?

I have been thumped by Silver Ochoa, James Davis Sr,James Davis Jr..Little Al Mason, David Henson and a host of other shortstop and up players at local tournies and at The old Fast Eddies' Tour events in the Austin Area/Central TX area. That was some time ago however as I have been on a pool vacation for some time now.

Old
  (#72)
trinacria
in efren we trust
trinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond reputetrinacria has a reputation beyond repute

01-10-2020, 05:13 PM

I played George san souci in a tournament once. I broke the opening rack and I missed a kick from a safety. race to 11, that's all I shot. IT WAS AWSOME!!!!

" love this game. its the hardest game in the world, its a beautiful game and when played right, it can be poetic, artistic." me.

If you need an aiming system, you have no natural talent for the game. Sorry.

Old
  (#73)
OklaPony
AzB Silver Member
OklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond reputeOklaPony has a reputation beyond repute

01-10-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
Bill Dugan , that sounds right

I never played Dugan or Matlock,but I did win a pile from dugan
in an all night heads up poker game. i threw in with a fellow named James Dunn
and slept through the match only to wake up winner.

I got a lecture from the kibiters becuse if I had watched,I might have learned something.

I didn't have an excuse for my loss of opportunity so I just grinned and explained that I nodded off.

Is Dugan still with us,I haven't heard his name since then?

Jay could tell us some good stories if he had a mind to. He is quite a player and a bit of a character too.
Bill passed away in 2018 at age 89. He was certainly a character and was definitely not afraid to bet.
https://www.garykelleyafs.com/memsol...ser_id=2118069

Custom McDermott
Sneaky Petree
Picone J/B

Unfortunately they've all been collecting dust for WAY too long.

Old
  (#74)
dardusm
AzB Silver Member
dardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond repute

01-10-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
He is playing all events. Also, going to play at Music City before the derby.

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. ~John Lennon

That's what a champion does, take their time in key situations ~ Scott Frost

Player: Holly/Ebony Custom Roach Cue
Breaker: Custom Roach Breaker
Jump: Custom Roach Jump Cue

Page 5 of 5 « First 345

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: