Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Strategy when not in top form
Reply
Page 4 of 4 « First 234
 
Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Slumps
Old
  (#46)
Raecarmia
"Only the finest"
Raecarmia has a reputation beyond reputeRaecarmia has a reputation beyond reputeRaecarmia has a reputation beyond reputeRaecarmia has a reputation beyond reputeRaecarmia has a reputation beyond reputeRaecarmia has a reputation beyond reputeRaecarmia has a reputation beyond reputeRaecarmia has a reputation beyond reputeRaecarmia has a reputation beyond reputeRaecarmia has a reputation beyond reputeRaecarmia has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 266
vCash: 500
iTrader: 21 / 96%
Join Date: Dec 2006
   
Slumps - 02-01-2020, 03:17 AM

Hi, I have to admit I have not read all the previous posts on this subject.. But I wound like to contribute. I used to think a slump was about playing bad, or not winning as often as I thought I should. To some degree those things could be considered a slump. However, I realized what I considered to be a slump was subjective.. My perception of my performance was not realistic. Here's what I learned ..certain factors contribute to overall performance.. For example... Time.. If you are rushing to get to play and you know you only have so much time to play... You can play subpar and think it is a slump.. If you're short on cash...relationship issues... Car problems... Almost anything that is unresolved can and usually will surface at some point during play... So heres the deal.... A slump or should I say the term slump is a scapegoat... A psychological escape... An easy way out.
If you realize time and slumps are directly related you can shorten it by raising your self awareness, don't give the term slump meaning... Minimize the usage or remove it from your vocabulary... Its a trap...
If you play big multi day tournaments and play a bad match.. Do you think or start to think that you're in a slump? If you do.. Slap yourself... Don't create something from nothing... If you play league once or twice a week
and have a bad week, do you think you are falling apart? What defines a slump... How much energy and time you allow yourself to believe it.... Accept that you played weaker than usual... Didn't capitalize on opportunities or missed a few shots too many... Don't beat yourself up!
Maintain confidence and smile, its empowering!! And remember this... Your past performances mean nothing... You are only as good as the shot in front of you.


Raecarmia
  
Reply With Quote

Performance is an inside job
Old
  (#47)
Imac007
AzB Silver Member
Imac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 286
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: Dec 2017
   
Performance is an inside job - 02-01-2020, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raecarmia View Post
Hi, I have to admit I have not read all the previous posts on this subject.. But I wound like to contribute. I used to think a slump was about playing bad, or not winning as often as I thought I should. To some degree those things could be considered a slump. However, I realized what I considered to be a slump was subjective.. My perception of my performance was not realistic. Here's what I learned ..certain factors contribute to overall performance.. For example... Time.. If you are rushing to get to play and you know you only have so much time to play... You can play subpar and think it is a slump.. If you're short on cash...relationship issues... Car problems... Almost anything that is unresolved can and usually will surface at some point during play... So heres the deal.... A slump or should I say the term slump is a scapegoat... A psychological escape... An easy way out.
If you realize time and slumps are directly related you can shorten it by raising your self awareness, don't give the term slump meaning... Minimize the usage or remove it from your vocabulary... Its a trap...
If you play big multi day tournaments and play a bad match.. Do you think or start to think that you're in a slump? If you do.. Slap yourself... Don't create something from nothing... If you play league once or twice a week
and have a bad week, do you think you are falling apart? What defines a slump... How much energy and time you allow yourself to believe it.... Accept that you played weaker than usual... Didn't capitalize on opportunities or missed a few shots too many... Don't beat yourself up!
Maintain confidence and smile, its empowering!! And remember this... Your past performances mean nothing... You are only as good as the shot in front of you.
Performance is about what we tell ourselves. One fellow I play with has some home and finance issues. Surprisingly his time at the table is an escape, he excels. We all react differently.

It goes beyond the labels we put on our performance. Itís what we tell ourselves about our potential. Itís about how we see ourselves, our identity.

Give opponents credit. They are allowed to have a good night now and then.

Players have rankings. Most that I talk to think they are better than the set level. Sometimes they do play above their rank, and when they play at their rating, they donít accept that they played where past results say they are.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#48)
JimGinPhx
AzB Silver Member
JimGinPhx has a reputation beyond reputeJimGinPhx has a reputation beyond reputeJimGinPhx has a reputation beyond reputeJimGinPhx has a reputation beyond reputeJimGinPhx has a reputation beyond reputeJimGinPhx has a reputation beyond reputeJimGinPhx has a reputation beyond reputeJimGinPhx has a reputation beyond reputeJimGinPhx has a reputation beyond reputeJimGinPhx has a reputation beyond reputeJimGinPhx has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: Jun 2008
   
02-01-2020, 07:46 AM

When asked what he does when not playing well, Allen Hopkins said " Get more money"
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#49)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute
 
dr_dave's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 10,633
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Colorado
   
02-01-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac007 View Post
Do you have a physical or mental key?
For some useful mental suggestions, see:

Top 10 Mental Aspects of Pool - The Mental Game

Enjoy,
Dave
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#50)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 12,157
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 271 / 100%
Blog Entries: 12
Join Date: Nov 2007
   
02-01-2020, 09:10 AM

From aa gamblers point of view

When you are not in top form,I have found two pieces of information that UJ Puckett gave me when I was a kid

1 Ask for more weight
2. quit ad wait till you feel right to play

I know when i was taking a whipping my game broke down,
if i got more weight I usually stayed broke down and just lost more

so i recommend taking the day off

If you are playing tournament or for fun,then drink a 7 up or 2

seriously I found that they made my hands feel thin and changed my feel
  
Reply With Quote
Strategy when not in top form
Old
  (#51)
asbani
AzB Silver Member
asbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,820
vCash: 498
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Join Date: Aug 2007
   
Strategy when not in top form - 02-01-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
From aa gamblers point of view

When you are not in top form,I have found two pieces of information that UJ Puckett gave me when I was a kid

1 Ask for more weight
2. quit ad wait till you feel right to play

I know when i was taking a whipping my game broke down,
if i got more weight I usually stayed broke down and just lost more

so i recommend taking the day off

If you are playing tournament or for fun,then drink a 7 up or 2

seriously I found that they made my hands feel thin and changed my feel


7up made your hand feel thin? Then you play better when you got thin hands?

Please explain how 7up makes a hand thinner

Then also explain what got thin hands got to do with your game ;D


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#52)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 12,157
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 271 / 100%
Blog Entries: 12
Join Date: Nov 2007
   
02-01-2020, 12:30 PM

i can't explain it but i got the idea from ben hogan in golf

he might have said lemonaid worked for his hands



if you are looking for an argument i am not interested

feel free to not try this 7 up thing

all i know is when my hands get clammy or thick feeling,i tried this

may all been in my head but others told me they do the same thing

Last edited by deanoc; 02-01-2020 at 12:32 PM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#53)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute
 
HawaiianEye's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 13,375
vCash: 500
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Join Date: Apr 2011
   
02-01-2020, 01:43 PM

Calibrate your eyes.

I've noticed that when I'm not playing well, it's due to me not "seeing" the ball well.

What I'm "seeing" is a bit off from what is "reality".

When your eyes are properly calibrated, hopefully, your body and stroke will follow suit. Make sure you are aligned with your eyes when they are calibrated right.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#54)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.
j2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond repute
 
j2pac's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 12,803
vCash: 500
iTrader: 62 / 100%
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Proud Buckeye!
   
02-01-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imac007 View Post
Do you have a physical or mental key?
Is it different for big stakes?
When itís not important does that require a different strategy?

Everything is situational.
Tell us the situation and your "go to".
Extra booze, and a comfortable seat.


"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire - "What you are shouts so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear what you say." - R.W. Emerson -

TOMAHAWK FERRULE MATERIAL - NO CLICK, JUST BANG.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#55)
SBC
AzB Silver Member
SBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,238
vCash: 500
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Join Date: May 2017
   
02-01-2020, 08:49 PM

Play more 2 way shots
Play the cue ball closer to the shot so you don't have tough shots
Play more safes
Know only 1 player can be the boss...be the boss
  
Reply With Quote
Part of a package
Old
  (#56)
Imac007
AzB Silver Member
Imac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 286
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: Dec 2017
   
Part of a package - 02-02-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
Calibrate your eyes.

I've noticed that when I'm not playing well, it's due to me not "seeing" the ball well.

What I'm "seeing" is a bit off from what is "reality".

When your eyes are properly calibrated, hopefully, your body and stroke will follow suit. Make sure you are aligned with your eyes when they are calibrated right.
Choosing straight cueing as the key to performance cannot work without proper aim and alignment. Hawaiian Eye is as right as the straight cueing. The two make the total package. He notes that once your eyes have found their center, the body and stroke will follow. Surprisingly once the cue is running straight, the body is calibrated and we only know it is running straight if our eyes are seeing the straightness. We can only see the straightness if you are looking directly down the cue.

Calibration is a great word to describe the trio in sync. Thanks.
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.