Shifting the pot line
Old
  (#1)
VelvetBulldozer
AzB Bronze Member
VelvetBulldozer is on a distinguished road
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2020
   
Shifting the pot line - 03-07-2020, 01:56 AM

To give background, I use a similar sighting system to what Lee Brett is teaching here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYRygaWcJp8

Traditionally, you draw a line (pot line) from the center of the pocket through the object ball. The contact point is where that line crosses the back of the object ball. I find that step really easy, even if you are bad at visualization.

The tricky part is aligning yourself to that line, because if you align yourself to cross that contract point, you are going to miss the shot, unless it is straight or within 5 degrees.

Usually, this is where double to distance system comes into work. Because if you take the distance from the center of the object ball to the contact point and double it outside of the ball, you will get the point of intersection between the poting line and aiming line which is also the center of the ghost ball.

What I've found more useful is to parallel shift the pot line to the outside. Meaning if you aim to the left, you shift the pot line to the right, and if you aim to the right, you shift the line to the left. That way the line gives you a new contact point, where you can directly align your aiming line, which I've found to be easier and more consistent. Probably the easier way is to start outside of center pocket (like you will attempt to cheat it) but draw the line through the ball and not through the center.

Has anyone experimented with something similar?

Last edited by VelvetBulldozer; 03-07-2020 at 02:40 AM.
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#2)
duckie
GregH
duckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 4,600
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milpitas Ca
   
03-07-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetBulldozer View Post
To give background, I use a similar sighting system to what Lee Brett is teaching here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYRygaWcJp8

Traditionally, you draw a line (pot line) from the center of the pocket through the object ball. The contact point is where that line crosses the back of the object ball. I find that step really easy, even if you are bad at visualization.

The tricky part is aligning yourself to that line, because if you align yourself to cross that contract point, you are going to miss the shot, unless it is straight or within 5 degrees.

Usually, this is where double to distance system comes into work. Because if you take the distance from the center of the object ball to the contact point and double it outside of the ball, you will get the point of intersection between the poting line and aiming line which is also the center of the ghost ball.

What I've found more useful is to parallel shift the pot line to the outside. Meaning if you aim to the left, you shift the pot line to the right, and if you aim to the right, you shift the line to the left. That way the line gives you a new contact point, where you can directly align your aiming line, which I've found to be easier and more consistent. Probably the easier way is to start outside of center pocket (like you will attempt to cheat it) but draw the line through the ball and not through the center.

Has anyone experimented with something similar?
First, it is the cue that needs aligning, and not to the line to the pocket, but to the line to CB will take to the OB.

Place two balls touching each other. Doubling the distance between one ball center and contact point results in a full ball width. Looking at the two balls that are touching each other......is the center of one ball to the contact point a full ball width?

The center of the CB at OB contact is always 1/2 ball width from the contact point of the two balls.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
duckie
GregH
duckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 4,600
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milpitas Ca
   
03-07-2020, 08:33 AM

Try this........draw two circles, A and B, with the edges touching. Draw a line through the center of each. This is the potting line as you call it.

A is the OB. B is the CB.

Now, draw another circle, C, such the the edge of the circle is touching another spot on circle A. Circle C represents the another CB, but contacting circle A at a different point than circle B.

Draw a line through the center of circle C and circle A.

Notice that the change in potting line rotates at circle A center.

The actual potting line starts at the centers of circles B and C.

The end of the point of the potting line moves in the opposite direction of where circle C is placed. If circle C is placed to the right of circle B, the potting line end point moves left of circle B potting line end point.

How much the potting line end point moves is determined by distance from pocket.

Last edited by duckie; 03-07-2020 at 08:40 AM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
VelvetBulldozer
AzB Bronze Member
VelvetBulldozer is on a distinguished road
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2020
   
03-07-2020, 09:16 AM

Yes, the aiming line is the line in which I align the v of my bridge, the stick (asuming no english is applied) and the heel of my foot.

The problem I had was finding the center of the ghost ball consistently. The reason is probably because that point is in space. I was never able to visualize the actual ghost ball consistently and doubling the distance was also a mixed bag for me.

But for some reason, shifting the actual pot line has worked. Because I get the visual feedback of where my stick both passes through the center of the ghost ball and where it intersects the object ball (I know that doesn't work for steeper cuts, but I've made it work through practice). So I am subconciously able to find the center of the ghost ball, if that makes sense. From my experience, once you've pot enough balls, you just feel it when you are properly aligned.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute
 
BC21's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 4,047
vCash: 500
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: West Virginia
   
03-07-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetBulldozer View Post
To give background, I use a similar sighting system to what Lee Brett is teaching here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYRygaWcJp8

Traditionally, you draw a line (pot line) from the center of the pocket through the object ball. The contact point is where that line crosses the back of the object ball. I find that step really easy, even if you are bad at visualization.

The tricky part is aligning yourself to that line, because if you align yourself to cross that contract point, you are going to miss the shot, unless it is straight or within 5 degrees.

Usually, this is where double to distance system comes into work. Because if you take the distance from the center of the object ball to the contact point and double it outside of the ball, you will get the point of intersection between the poting line and aiming line which is also the center of the ghost ball.

What I've found more useful is to parallel shift the pot line to the outside. Meaning if you aim to the left, you shift the pot line to the right, and if you aim to the right, you shift the line to the left. That way the line gives you a new contact point, where you can directly align your aiming line, which I've found to be easier and more consistent. Probably the easier way is to start outside of center pocket (like you will attempt to cheat it) but draw the line through the ball and not through the center.

Has anyone experimented with something similar?
I have put in bold two statements that stand out. Good post by the way.

I also find it tricky to align my stroke offset from the contact point just right.

The part where you say you get a new point to aim directly at, well.....that's what I suggest to do regardless of what aiming you use. By visualizing an aim point on the ob, a point that you can line straight up with, you give your brain more visual data for the shot, which allows more accurate recall when needed. It's for this reason alone that I think fractional aiming is easier and quicker to grasp than any other method. But to each their own. What's easy for you might be difficult for me, or vice versa.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
VelvetBulldozer
AzB Bronze Member
VelvetBulldozer is on a distinguished road
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2020
   
03-07-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
I have put in bold two statements that stand out. Good post by the way.

I also find it tricky to align my stroke offset from the contact point just right.

The part where you say you get a new point to aim directly at, well.....that's what I suggest to do regardless of what aiming you use. By visualizing an aim point on the ob, a point that you can line straight up with, you give your brain more visual data for the shot, which allows more accurate recall when needed. It's for this reason alone that I think fractional aiming is easier and quicker to grasp than any other method. But to each their own. What's easy for you might be difficult for me, or vice versa.
I find fractional aiming to be effective, because it combines two visual feedbacks.

Admitedly, I am poor at visualizing the 3/4, 1/4 and 1/2 ball hits. But I can easily visualize aiming through the center of the CB to the edge of the OB, which is the 1/2 ball hit. But another person might find it easier to visualize the edge of the CB to the center of the OB. Ultimately, we arrive at the same spot.

The brain is really good at making adjustments. But in order to allow your brain to make the needed adjustments, you have to eliminate all the confusion in terms of incosistent stroke and pre-shot routine.
  
Reply With Quote
Parallel Aiming
Old
  (#7)
Imac007
AzB Silver Member
Imac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond reputeImac007 has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 286
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Blog Entries: 1
Join Date: Dec 2017
   
Parallel Aiming - 03-07-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetBulldozer View Post
To give background, I use a similar sighting system to what Lee Brett is teaching here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYRygaWcJp8

Traditionally, you draw a line (pot line) from the center of the pocket through the object ball. The contact point is where that line crosses the back of the object ball. I find that step really easy, even if you are bad at visualization.

The tricky part is aligning yourself to that line, because if you align yourself to cross that contract point, you are going to miss the shot, unless it is straight or within 5 degrees.

Usually, this is where double to distance system comes into work. Because if you take the distance from the center of the object ball to the contact point and double it outside of the ball, you will get the point of intersection between the poting line and aiming line which is also the center of the ghost ball.

What I've found more useful is to parallel shift the pot line to the outside. Meaning if you aim to the left, you shift the pot line to the right, and if you aim to the right, you shift the line to the left. That way the line gives you a new contact point, where you can directly align your aiming line, which I've found to be easier and more consistent. Probably the easier way is to start outside of center pocket (like you will attempt to cheat it) but draw the line through the ball and not through the center.

Has anyone experimented with something similar?
Let’s start with some facts.
The pocket center contact point on the object ball is the farthest point on the object ball from the target location.
The nature of spheres is that only one relative point on the cue ball equator can contact that exact point.
A center hit cue ball travels in a predictable straight line.
A line drawn from contact point to contact point is also straight.
To travel on that straight line the center ball path must travel parallel to the contact point to contact point line.
That center ball parallel travel line passes through the ghost ball center.

I do the following:
I locate the desired target line to the pocket and contact point on the object ball.
I shift that line parallel to the cue ball center and note where the parallel line through the ball exits the ball on the farthest point opposite the center ball line entry point on the ball face.
Hovering my cue to hold that exit point, I pivot the cue from that point until the cue line is pointed at the object ball contact point.
This creates the contact point to contact point line.
Shifting the line parallel to the cue ball center now points through the ghost ball center.

Players who get down and discover that they need to cut the ball a little more often simply pivot the cue slightly thinking they are adjusting the contact point by the amount of the shift. If they realize they are no longer pointing through center ball due to the pivot away and now pivot the bridge and cue back to center ball, an adjustment has been made. However, the bridge pivot point is not where the adjustment needs to come from. The front of the cue ball contact needs to align to the object ball contact point. However, the bridge pivot point sets the contact point through the cue ball center. They can’t make the cue ball hit the imagined contact point through center ball contact from that fixed bridge location. Both contact points must be adjusted, the front of the cue ball contact point and the desired adjusted contact point.

The process of starting the setup from a basic ball to ball line then adjusting while getting down sets many players on a starting fat contact line. Doing a pivot to adjust subconsciously by the body understanding the line won’t work Is usually a visual adjustment to a point slightly left or right to cut the ball more, that amounts to a two dimensional adjustment, to a three dimensional problem. It fails to adjust the cue ball contact point. The result once again is that a straight cueing action through center ball still contacts the object ball too fat.

Without the parallel shift from the new contact point needed on the cue ball, the old contact point can’t actually contact the adjusted desired object ball contact point. The curvature of the ball makes it so the desired contact point is around the ball’s edge, an impossible contact. The attempt results in a fat hit.

A word of caution to those who use fractional aiming is that it is a two dimensional system. Unless they start while standing on the fractional contact line they run the risk of the same issue if adjusting while down.

Last edited by Imac007; 03-11-2020 at 04:32 PM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
 
Patrick Johnson's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 21,622
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2007
   
03-14-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetBulldozer View Post
To give background, I use a similar sighting system to what Lee Brett is teaching here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYRygaWcJp8

Traditionally, you draw a line (pot line) from the center of the pocket through the object ball. The contact point is where that line crosses the back of the object ball. I find that step really easy, even if you are bad at visualization.

The tricky part is aligning yourself to that line, because if you align yourself to cross that contract point, you are going to miss the shot, unless it is straight or within 5 degrees.

Usually, this is where double to distance system comes into work. Because if you take the distance from the center of the object ball to the contact point and double it outside of the ball, you will get the point of intersection between the poting line and aiming line which is also the center of the ghost ball.

What I've found more useful is to parallel shift the pot line to the outside. Meaning if you aim to the left, you shift the pot line to the right, and if you aim to the right, you shift the line to the left. That way the line gives you a new contact point, where you can directly align your aiming line, which I've found to be easier and more consistent. Probably the easier way is to start outside of center pocket (like you will attempt to cheat it) but draw the line through the ball and not through the center.

Has anyone experimented with something similar?
Are you talking about one of these common methods?

Basic Aiming Methods Illustrated

pj
chgo
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
VelvetBulldozer
AzB Bronze Member
VelvetBulldozer is on a distinguished road
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2020
   
03-15-2020, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Are you talking about one of these common methods?

Basic Aiming Methods Illustrated

pj
chgo
No, although double the distance is the closest.

As already established if you aim straight at the contact point on the OB, you are going to undercut it, unless it is a straight shot or withing 5 degrees.

You need to establish a new contact point. DD is one way to go, but what works for me better is to manipulate the potting line (the line you draw from the center of the pocket through the OB ball to obtain the contact point on the OB).

What I've experimented lately is starting from the inside of the pocket (like you will attempt to cheat it) and draw a line straight through the OB, which gives me a new contact point I can aim straight at.

It takes some practice and on bigger cuts it gets trickier, because you cannot see the contract point, but I've made it work and it is the most reliable thing to me, aiming system wise.
  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.