Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Pool Cues now made in China?
Page 2 of 6 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
watchez
What time is it?
watchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5625

07-12-2006, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdman
The Economy Sledges have always been made in China! They still are only McDermott is buying and selling them now. The RS and MG Customs came out of Mikes shop. That is how I understand it guys. This info came from respected, and not so respected, names in the cuemaking world.
Purdman
Did you hear this from Mike himself? That would be the best place to get your info. He has a toll free 800 number & a website if you would like to ask any questions. I hope I get this right..... The economy sledges were made in Taiwan (if that is China, then I guess Alabama & Mississippi are the same state). They no longer are. Fury cues, I believe, are still made in Taiwan....in the same factory the Sledgehammers used to be made. John could clarify this or continue to talk about Mars. McDermott is also no longer making Sledgehammers. Not to get to into the business matters of it all, but there was/is a dispute between the McDermott & the owner of Sledgehammer. Current Sledgehammers are being made in Greenville SC in Mike's shop. To clarify further, if you see Mike displaying his cues he might have some of these Taiwan or McDermott models for sale as he is not fully out of the supply. But when selling them, he always makes sure the person buying knows which model they are getting.

Good luck to Mike on the IPT.

Old
  (#17)
RiverCity
AzB Silver Member
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-12-2006, 04:48 PM

I was talking to Mike in vegas this past May..... he was less than thrilled with McDermott, said the quality of the product carrying his name was not up to the quality he was promised. He just went back to making them himself. That way he can be sure of the quality of what is going out the door.
Chuck

Old
  (#18)
pooltchr
Prof. Billiard Instructor
pooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwon
Wow, I suspect that now that these cues are made in China, the prices should come way down.

Craig
I wouldn't hold my breath!
Steve

Steve Jennings
PBIA Master Instructor

www.playbetterbilliards.com

Old
  (#19)
Jack Madden
John Madden Cues
Jack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond reputeJack Madden has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2006, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwon
I recently re-wraped a Preditor 4K7. After removing the wrap, I found Chinese writing on the under wrap.

I read and write Korean, however, can not translate Chinese, however, I am familar with the text style and I am certain that it was Chinese.

Wow, I suspect that now that these cues are made in China, the prices should come way down.

Craig
Craig
Where in the Cascades? Near Rainier? Have some relatives in that part of the country and have been promising to visit. How's the weather in the fall?
Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com

Old
  (#20)
manwon
"WARLOCK 1"
manwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

07-12-2006, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Madden
Craig
Where in the Cascades? Near Rainier? Have some relatives in that part of the country and have been promising to visit. How's the weather in the fall?
Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com
Hello Jack, I am located in Lakewood, Washington. Jack you most likely do not remember but we have spoken to each other before.

Jack we both a Mutual Friend in Ken "Sarge" Aylesworth and his wife Charley.

Sarge was showing me one of your cues and I had some questions so he called you up.

To answer, your question Jack, the Fall here is really nice and the weather is great, I would think that it is a great time for a visit.

If you come in, stop by my Pool Hall, Full Splice Billiards, Sarge can give you directions or you can contact me at fullsplicebilliards2@comcast.net.

Have a Great Night!!!!!

Craig

?????????
Old
  (#21)
Pinocchio
AzB Silver Member
Pinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond reputePinocchio has a reputation beyond repute

????????? - 12-23-2006, 05:13 PM

I own zero Chinese pool cues but I would like to bet my house that over half of my cues were crafted on Chinese lathes. Oh by the way I use Sniper tips an have no idea where they are made. I would buy 100% American but its almost impossible to do.
Pinocchio

Old
  (#22)
Craig Fales
Registered bubinga user
Craig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Fales has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 400
  Send a message via MSN to Craig Fales Send a message via Yahoo to Craig Fales  
12-23-2006, 05:40 PM

If you buy one of my cues they are 100% American made....
________

Last edited by Craig Fales; 08-25-2011 at 06:56 AM.

Old
  (#23)
cuejoey
25 mm chain guns matter
cuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond reputecuejoey has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via ICQ to cuejoey  
12-23-2006, 06:06 PM

People of the Republic of America now is the time to unite..everything anymore is made in China..Buy American..there are many fine American cuemakers..thank you for listening..i love lamp..Merry Christmas

Old
  (#24)
Dr. Dissent
Best Doctor in Town
Dr. Dissent has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Dissent has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Dissent has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Dissent has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Dissent has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Dissent has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Dissent has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Dissent has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Dissent has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Dissent has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Dissent has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 175

Thumbs up 12-23-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedkaufman
I believe Lucasi cues are made in China. If they are, that's fine with me. I have a SP Lucasi for bar play and think it's an incredible value. Other Lucasi cues I tried were remarkably good for the money, too.
I purchased one several years ago and it had a tiny sticker saying it was made in China. There are some tiny flaws but it doesn't matter. Can't ask for more because they are affordably priced.

We need a resurgence of our sport, let's do something about it NOW!!!.

Old
  (#25)
ratcues
No yodeling, please.
ratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond repute

12-23-2006, 06:53 PM

I'm sorry but I beg to differ about the quality of import cues. I see hundreds of cues a month that come to me for repairs. I see all of the wonderful manufacturing techniques used. Buy an American cue. Its a few more dollars but worth it in the long run. I'd much rather have a plain jane American-made cue than the "inlays" in the imports.

I am no longer working for Mueller Rec Products.

You cannot kill me with kindness. I don't buy it...

Ryan Theewen

Contact me through Facebook or ratnroll@hotmail.com

Old
  (#26)
Jack Flanagan
P. T. Barnum was right !
Jack Flanagan has a reputation beyond reputeJack Flanagan has a reputation beyond reputeJack Flanagan has a reputation beyond reputeJack Flanagan has a reputation beyond reputeJack Flanagan has a reputation beyond reputeJack Flanagan has a reputation beyond reputeJack Flanagan has a reputation beyond reputeJack Flanagan has a reputation beyond reputeJack Flanagan has a reputation beyond reputeJack Flanagan has a reputation beyond reputeJack Flanagan has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 900

12-23-2006, 07:15 PM

?? can't believe the cue snobbery on AZ and around the USA,,,sure it is nice to own a $1000+ cue, but the new blood/lifeline/new players coming up in the pool world, can't afford them,,,and just like the old joke about how a medium pizza and a pro pool player are alike (neither one can feel a family of four),,,most of the up and coming players will never be able to afford one...

GIVE IT A REST, my guess is that 90% of the cues in the USA are from China, Taiwan, and Japan,,,,most never bring up the question of a stick's origin; and if they did it is only to ask if they got it from wal mart or somewhere else ( there's even snobbery in the lower priced cues),,,I've even seen kids make fun of another's wal mart cue (they bought theirs from sears, so it must be better!)

if you have time to "beat up" someone over where they got their cue, search the net,,,lots of foreign sites that manufacture/sell cues,,,most of you would be surprised that Turkey, Afganistan, and others manufacture cues (high priced ones, at that)...

just my night before, night before Christmas rant !,,,,,,,,,,

CUE SNOBBERY; BAH HUMBUG........ J

'cause crazy unkle jackie sez so !

cue: a bunch of 'em
hours: 3 to 12, 7 days a week
www.internationalcuemakers.com

www.jimboarmy.com

Old
  (#27)
StevenPWaldon
AzB Silver Member
StevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond reputeStevenPWaldon has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2937

12-23-2006, 07:52 PM

tap tap tap

Everyone here seems to be comparing apples to oranges. You can't honestly compare an inexpensive import to an expensive domestic product and then discount the imported cues based not on their own merit.

And has been mentioned earlier, Lucasi is manufactured in Taiwan. Poolsleuth, is that one of the third world countries you mention? Their eyes are funny and they have different colored skin, so it may fit your definition. Regardless, pros like Buddy Hall and recent Artistic Pool World Champion Tom Rossman seem to be doing fine with these 'cheap' Taiwanese cues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Flanagan
?? can't believe the cue snobbery on AZ and around the USA,,,sure it is nice to own a $1000+ cue, but the new blood/lifeline/new players coming up in the pool world, can't afford them,,,and just like the old joke about how a medium pizza and a pro pool player are alike (neither one can feel a family of four),,,most of the up and coming players will never be able to afford one...

GIVE IT A REST, my guess is that 90% of the cues in the USA are from China, Taiwan, and Japan,,,,most never bring up the question of a stick's origin; and if they did it is only to ask if they got it from wal mart or somewhere else ( there's even snobbery in the lower priced cues),,,I've even seen kids make fun of another's wal mart cue (they bought theirs from sears, so it must be better!)

if you have time to "beat up" someone over where they got their cue, search the net,,,lots of foreign sites that manufacture/sell cues,,,most of you would be surprised that Turkey, Afganistan, and others manufacture cues (high priced ones, at that)...

just my night before, night before Christmas rant !,,,,,,,,,,

CUE SNOBBERY; BAH HUMBUG........ J

Retail prices don't reflect the labor costs
Old
  (#28)
curly
AzB Silver Member
curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Retail prices don't reflect the labor costs - 12-23-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolSleuth
Too BAD all the Products that are Made in China do not refelect the price of Chineese Labor.
Tap,tap,tap....you're 1 million percent right!! That's probably they're profit making on what they sell for and what they pay for labor. Materials are very resonable and so are labor costs but the retail costs which seem reasonable are very high percentage-wise! I recall buying a GE coiled flourescent light bulb many years ago at Sams Club for almost $14. Then I read on the label that it was made in Peoples Republic of China. Wow, the profit on that lamp was astronomical to say the least. The B.S. that we're told is to keep the cost of products competetive but I think higher profitability is the real reason.

Old
  (#29)
elvicash
AzB Silver Member
elvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond reputeelvicash has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 87

12-23-2006, 10:25 PM

I would pay more for a cue, light bulb etc to buy American. We have higher labor costs. High labor costs means they will usually spend more money on raw materials as well

No matter who makes the product I purchase I ultimately want to purchase Quality

Hi Runs 14.1-52 (age+3) 9B-5 8B-3
Straight Lock / Five Cents / Kingfish / Fontaine

True Racks Available Now -- www.thetruerack.com

Old
  (#30)
X Breaker
AzB Silver Member
X Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 575

12-23-2006, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvicash
I would pay more for a cue, light bulb etc to buy American. We have higher labor costs. High labor costs means they will usually spend more money on raw materials as well

No matter who makes the product I purchase I ultimately want to purchase Quality
If we don't support American cue makers, a few years' later, most of our cues will be made in China in the same factory under different brands. We will then have no one to blame but ourselves.

Pool cue making is a part of the American history, I agree that quality does not come cheap, and it is up to the consumers to spend their money on those who build quality products so they can continue to do so.

A cue made in the USA usually has a higher resale value than one made overseas, although it is more expensive to buy.

Just my 2 cents,

Richard

Page 2 of 6 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: