Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page The "arc of the light" aiming system
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
The "arc of the light" aiming system
Old
  (#1)
recoveryjones
AzB Silver Member
recoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

The "arc of the light" aiming system - 08-04-2006, 12:13 PM

Has anyone ever used the reflection of the over head lights for a method of aiming.One local referred to it as "the arc of the light",however, I don't know if thats what it should be called.

On the object ball there will be a reflection of the lights above.If the pool halls has 3 lights you will see three, if it has four lights you will see four in an semi circuliar arc.
For a right hand cut:

Ignore those 3 or 4 light reflections and look for a very tiny light reflection to the right of those on the object ball.If the cut is a slight one (say 15 degrees) that tiny little light(but noticable) will appear somewhere halfway between center ball and right side edge like 3/4 ball hit.If it's a 30 degree cut , the little light reflection will appear right near the extreme right edge of the object ball.All you do is aim the center of your cue tip at that little tiny light reflection and in she goes.

I know an A+ local player who swears of the accuracy of this aiming system and uses it almost exclusivley. He says "The lights don't lie."I've only briefly experimented with this method of aiming and experienced some success.He claims it's great especially for long shots. It's supposed to be an old aiming system/secret used by many,particualirly snooker players.

Anyone know if I explained this properly or has/does anyone use it?
Comments?
RJ

Old
  (#2)
X Breaker
AzB Silver Member
X Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 575

08-04-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoveryjones
Has anyone ever used the reflection of the over head lights for a method of aiming.One local referred to it as "the arc of the light",however, I don't know if thats what it should be called.

On the object ball there will be a reflection of the lights above.If the pool halls has 3 lights you will see three, if it has four lights you will see four in an semi circuliar arc.
For a right hand cut:

Ignore those 3 or 4 light reflections and look for a very tiny light reflection to the right of those on the object ball.If the cut is a slight one (say 15 degrees) that tiny little light(but noticable) will appear somewhere halfway between center ball and right side edge like 3/4 ball hit.If it's a 30 degree cut , the little light reflection will appear right near the extreme right edge of the object ball.All you do is aim the center of your cue tip at that little tiny light reflection and in she goes.

I know an A+ local player who swears of the accuracy of this aiming system and uses it almost exclusivley. He says "The lights don't lie."I've only briefly experimented with this method of aiming and experienced some success.He claims it's great especially for long shots. It's supposed to be an old aiming system/secret used by many,particualirly snooker players.

Comments?
RJ
I dont get it...so you mean the light reflection is located at the same spot on the balls no matter where the balls are. How could it be?

Since the light is located directly over the balls, the balls on the left hand side of the table will have light reflection on the right hand side of the balls, and vice versa, right? If the balls are directly under the light, then the reflection will be in the mid section.

What if someone comes over to ref a shot and cast a shadow on the balls, or what if the pool hall also has other light sourses such ceiling lights? Some pool hall now use no light but ceiling lights.

How about on a TV feature tables? There are a million lights out there, and then there is the camera man light. The player would go blind trying to focus on the light shadows and figure out which is which.

Even in snooker, some pool halls use a light box with light tubes, and some use lots of those super bright stage lights. Snooker tables have many different light settings.

I just don't get it...

Last edited by X Breaker; 08-04-2006 at 12:26 PM.

Old
  (#3)
supergreenman
truly addicted
supergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond reputesupergreenman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1695
  Send a message via Yahoo to supergreenman  
08-04-2006, 12:26 PM

I've heard of this system, but it was told to me by a drunk that couldn't shoot worth a crap so I totally dismissed it. I guess there might be something to it.

James
Pool is my meditation, billiards and the art of zen
Hours a week playing:15-20
Best Bud Bowler 2009

Old
  (#4)
9Ball_JJ
Newbie Fo' Life
9Ball_JJ has a reputation beyond repute9Ball_JJ has a reputation beyond repute9Ball_JJ has a reputation beyond repute9Ball_JJ has a reputation beyond repute9Ball_JJ has a reputation beyond repute9Ball_JJ has a reputation beyond repute9Ball_JJ has a reputation beyond repute9Ball_JJ has a reputation beyond repute9Ball_JJ has a reputation beyond repute9Ball_JJ has a reputation beyond repute9Ball_JJ has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 32

08-04-2006, 12:38 PM

I've heard of this system too. The guy that tried explaining it to me kept forgetting the concept of it and how to explain it to me. So by the end of the conversation, I was very confused.

Old
  (#5)
bsmutz
Fearlessly Happy
bsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond reputebsmutz has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2006, 12:44 PM

I read about this a couple of years ago and have since used it sporadically. I sometimes see the object ball contact point and reflection of the overhead light line up on the same spot. Other times, the light is totally in the wrong place. It does work for some shots, but I think its usefulness is limited.

Old
  (#6)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-04-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Comments?
RJ
Call Hal Houle, and he can enlighten you

Basically, the last light, or the end of the light falls at the cueball point that is at the center of many of Hal's systems.

Aiming that point to the object ball's center or edge is a surprisingly good starting point.

Note: I'm not saying that Hal came up with the light theory. It's just that what he teaches is in step with the light theory.

Fred

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#7)
Flex
Banger
Flex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman
Call Hal Houle, and he can enlighten you

Basically, the last light, or the end of the light falls at the cueball point that is at the center of many of Hal's systems.

Aiming that point to the object ball's center or edge is a surprisingly good starting point.

Note: I'm not saying that Hal came up with the light theory. It's just that what he teaches is in step with the light theory.

Fred
I think your comment on it being "a surprisingly good starting point" is a good one. However, the operative word in the phrase is "starting". One afternoon I set up some shots and marked the cloth so the object ball and cue ball were always in exactly the same place and tried to make the light reflections useful for some kind of system. I suppose it could be made to work, especially if shooting always on the same table. However, I found it to be inconsistent, at least for me. Optical illusions abound on the pool table. Switch tables and the apparently same set of overhead lamps will render different results.

FL supposedly has some system for aiming by the lights, but IMHO it's a free pass to the loony tune farm.

Flex

Old
  (#8)
poolcuemaster
AzB Silver Member
poolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond reputepoolcuemaster has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2006, 02:33 PM

I have used this system for years,it was taught to me by my dad and uncle,both were real good players. The biggest problem is where the light fixture is hung over the table,it needs to be centered almost perfectly over table to work semi-perfectly and needs to be bright regular bulbs as flourescent is harder to see.Also makes a difference if balls are clean and shiney as reflection is easier to see. I think it helps to train your aim and you get away from using it most of the time after your mind starts aiming for you.

Quackery
Old
  (#9)
Nick B
This is gonna hurt
Nick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond repute

Quackery - 08-04-2006, 04:14 PM

Quackery...I would imagine you would need to be quite upright to make this work. Kevin go kick him in the shins.

Nick

Cue: Foster, Break/Jump: Foster
http://www.fostercues.com/
Name: Nick Beretanos

Old
  (#10)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
There are many ways to use the refections of the lights. Some of the systems are described in one of my articles on aiming. The best explanation in print is by Ron Vitello who teaches pool in the NYC area and sometimes elsewhere. He has a class handout on aiming methods, many of which use lights, that is over 100 pages, I think.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#11)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett
There are many ways to use the refections of the lights. ...
And I should also have pointed out that the majority of people I've met who claim to use the lights have no understanding of the pitfalls. If they can play a lick, it's because they do the last part of the aim by feel rather than system.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#12)
TheConArtist
Daddy's A Butcher
TheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to TheConArtist Send a message via Yahoo to TheConArtist  
08-04-2006, 06:32 PM

i ran across this system on the net i think it was explained by Hal Houle too, just have to give a search.

Old
  (#13)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

08-04-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheConArtist
i ran across this system on the net i think it was explained by Hal Houle too, just have to give a search.
I think that while Hal might have explained a "lights on the balls" system to someone who reported it on the net, Hal seems to have a very strict rule about never, ever explaining any of his systems on the net.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#14)
Koop
AzB Silver Member
Koop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond reputeKoop has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 78612

08-04-2006, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett
I think that while Hal might have explained a "lights on the balls" system to someone who reported it on the net, Hal seems to have a very strict rule about never, ever explaining any of his systems on the net.
True to a point but mainly because it's tough too teach in writing and in 2 dimensional drawings.

Hal has mentioned the lighting system of aiming to me but also said, emphatically, it is not a method he created nor one he uses.

FWIW,
Koop

Old
  (#15)
stunner316
AzB Silver Member
stunner316 has much to be proud ofstunner316 has much to be proud ofstunner316 has much to be proud ofstunner316 has much to be proud ofstunner316 has much to be proud ofstunner316 has much to be proud ofstunner316 has much to be proud ofstunner316 has much to be proud of

08-04-2006, 09:33 PM

i have heard of the light system but i was taught to use it for bank shots. the man who taught me had the system taught to him by tony fargo. the system does work for banks real good if light is centered and you use no english on bank shots. if u use english u have to adjust the light system. seems weird but it does work for banks.. but i agree with earlier post. most good players (which im not) end up playing by feel and instinc.

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: