Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page The "arc of the light" aiming system
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#16)
recoveryjones
AzB Silver Member
recoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-04-2006, 11:31 PM

LOL, I knew this post would have some controversy with close minded feel players who think all aiming systems are quackery,to the moderates who see some merits, to the hard core Hal Houle freaks who have faith and strong belief by seeing some of the results of this stuff in action.

I consider myself a moderate with an open-mind.I play the vast majority of my shots by feel,however, my potting of fine cuts has improved dramatically with an aiming system.

I'll try to answer Richards(nipponbilliards) questions below,however, that can be difficult(as explaining this post was) with typed words on the internet. Showing one at the pool table is much better and I'll do that for Richard because he's alocal who I know personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipponbilliards
I dont get it...so you mean the light reflection is located at the same spot on the balls no matter where the balls are. How could it be?

Didn't mean that at, all as you've misunderstood my post.The tiny light you aim at moves(on the object ball) depending where the object ball is in relation to the center(the lights above) of the table.Also you must be centered behind the cue ball or the light spot will show up differntly(on the object ball) if you are off to one side or the other.

Since the light is located directly over the balls, the balls on the left hand side of the table will have light reflection on the right hand side of the balls, and vice versa, right? If the balls are directly under the light, then the reflection will be in the mid section.

I've never tried lining up the object ball dead center under the lights to be able to give you an answer. It would seem to me though that if your cue ball would be off to one side(or the other) and you were aiming directly through the cue ball at the object ball that the tiny light would move its location on that object ball.

What if someone comes over to ref a shot and cast a shadow on the balls, or what if the pool hall also has other light sourses such ceiling lights? Some pool hall now use no light but ceiling lights.

It is physically impossible for the ref to shade out the light unless he got his head between the overhead light and your object ball.Refs don't do that because it would be very distracting for the player shooting the shot.In general they stay outside of the parameters of the rails and don't lean over onto the playing surface, allthough this may happen at times.Remember the light is not coming from the sides,but directly overhead so it's not easily shaded.As far as light sources go all I know is that it works locally here at the Commodore on their(one) table with flouresent lights as it does at Guys and Dolls.

How about on a TV feature tables? There are a million lights out there, and then there is the camera man light. The player would go blind trying to focus on the light shadows and figure out which is which.

I've never been good enough to play on TV tables so I can't answer this question.

Even in snooker, some pool halls use a light box with light tubes, and some use lots of those super bright stage lights. Snooker tables have many different light settings.

Never tried all those scenarios, so I don't know.I did mention the flouresent set up at the Commodore and that lighting was left from an old snooker table and worked.

I just don't get it...
LOL, neither do I Richard, I'm still searching with an open-mind.

In Summary:
I would venture to say that the vast majority of pro players shoot most of their shots by feel,however, I know some who do admit to aiming systems,at least partially.Others use them,however, won't give up their closely guarded secrets to the competition.

My theory is if it works for you use it.As mentioned aiming systems help me immensley for those tougher cuts.Some guys go all the way with aiming systems for everyshot.As an open-minded moderate,I'm not there yet,nor probably never will be.Every aim no matter the method must be proceded with a good accurate stroke/cue ball hit.I don't know if I'll ever be there.
RJ

ps.Next time you line up a cut(no english) by feel check out the object ball for a (very)tiny little light reflection right where you are aiming the center of your cue tip.Don't be surprised it that tiny little light was exactly located where you were aiming.For simplicity in this experiment try 30 degree shots and less, as I'm not quite sure how to use this method for the finer cuts.As far as this system goes I'm not an (yet anyways)advocate of it, I'm just mearly checking it out with an open mind.

Old
  (#17)
TheConArtist
Daddy's A Butcher
TheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to TheConArtist Send a message via Yahoo to TheConArtist  
08-05-2006, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett
I think that while Hal might have explained a "lights on the balls" system to someone who reported it on the net, Hal seems to have a very strict rule about never, ever explaining any of his systems on the net.
yeah i thought that, i found it on the Serious-fun.net I actually found most of his systems there. It was explained how the Three angles method was on the CCB though.

Old
  (#18)
Flex
Banger
Flex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2006, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoveryjones
ps.Next time you line up a cut(no english) by feel check out the object ball for a (very)tiny little light reflection right where you are aiming the center of your cue tip.Don't be surprised it that tiny little light was exactly located where you were aiming.For simplicity in this experiment try 30 degree shots and less, as I'm not quite sure how to use this method for the finer cuts.As far as this system goes I'm not an (yet anyways)advocate of it, I'm just mearly checking it out with an open mind.
Very interesting post. Thank you for it.

A few things come to mind. If aiming for the shot is limited to 30 degree shots, which it probably isn't, the system is seriously deficient, IMHO. I imagine there are adjustments for sharper angles that can be made. What I've found is that almost never do I shoot with true centerball. I may try, but I've found with my eyes/stroke etc., that greater consistency is achieved by shooting with very small doses of english. Specifically, a very small touch of reverse english tends to make a shot shoot straighter and with less apparent throw than many shots with center ball.

Just wondering: How do you adjust the point of lights aiming system for english/throw/power shots with english?

Flex

Old
  (#19)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-05-2006, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex

Just wondering: How do you adjust the point of lights aiming system for english/throw/power shots with english?

Flex
For firm english shots, backhand english IMO, is the best approach for the "end light" system.

Fred

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#20)
TheConArtist
Daddy's A Butcher
TheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond reputeTheConArtist has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2006, 04:55 AM

i agree with Fred. BHE for english shots

Old
  (#21)
recoveryjones
AzB Silver Member
recoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond reputerecoveryjones has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2006, 07:32 AM

I agree with Fred and the Con Artist.Back hand english seems to be the only form of english compatible with aiming systems at least as far as Iknow.Perhaps tuck and roll could be implemented as well?
RJ

Old
  (#22)
TheConArtist
Daddy's A Butcher

08-05-2006, 07:37 AM

its like magic heheh

Old
  (#23)
Billy_Bob
AzB Silver Member
Billy_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBilly_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBilly_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBilly_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBilly_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBilly_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBilly_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBilly_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBilly_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBilly_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBilly_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2006, 07:54 AM

I have read about this aiming system, but the problem I have with it is there are many different lights above pool tables. Some rooms have lighting above tables which is the same size as the table with many fluorescent tubes. And then look at all the lighting above for a "TV Table".

So I felt this system was not something I could rely on in every situation and never bothered to learn it.

Of course if you always play on the same table this would be OK as well as the "spot on the wall" aiming system.

I have no financial interest in any billiard related businesses or schools.

Old
  (#24)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?
jimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2006, 08:14 AM

Was told about the "playing by the lights" system twenty five years ago, Can't believe that people are still serious about it. Some systems may work, but IMO feel and muscle memory are the only real way to go.

Old
  (#25)
Flex
Banger
Flex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond reputeFlex has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2006, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyg
Was told about the "playing by the lights" system twenty five years ago, Can't believe that people are still serious about it. Some systems may work, but IMO feel and muscle memory are the only real way to go.
I like the laser vision system: choose what part of the pocket you want the object ball to go into, then draw an ice blue laser line from that point straight back through the object ball you want to pot, fix that point on the ball in your mind's eye, move over behind the cue ball, connect the contact point on the cue ball to the blue laser spot on the object ball, decide how you want to shoot the shot, center ball, high,low, inside/outside english, etc., keep your eye on that target spot on the object ball, instinctively line up behind the cue ball, stroke rapidly to make sure your cue is on like for the shot you've chosen, fix your eyes on the contact point on the object ball, stroke the cue ball perfectly, watch the object ball pot. Shoot the same shot another 100 times or so and get the "feels' for the shot. Go out and beat the world.

Really pretty simple when you think about it.

Flex
Flex

Old
  (#26)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?
jimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2006, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex
I like the laser vision system: choose what part of the pocket you want the object ball to go into, then draw an ice blue laser line from that point straight back through the object ball you want to pot, fix that point on the ball in your mind's eye, move over behind the cue ball, connect the contact point on the cue ball to the blue laser spot on the object ball, decide how you want to shoot the shot, center ball, high,low, inside/outside english, etc., keep your eye on that target spot on the object ball, instinctively line up behind the cue ball, stroke rapidly to make sure your cue is on like for the shot you've chosen, fix your eyes on the contact point on the object ball, stroke the cue ball perfectly, watch the object ball pot. Shoot the same shot another 100 times or so and get the "feels' for the shot. Go out and beat the world.

Really pretty simple when you think about it.

Flex
Flex
Finally, now I get it. Thanks!!

i've heard of it
Old
  (#27)
T0dd-Pocket
AzB Silver Member
T0dd-Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeT0dd-Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeT0dd-Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeT0dd-Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeT0dd-Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeT0dd-Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeT0dd-Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeT0dd-Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeT0dd-Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeT0dd-Pocket has a reputation beyond reputeT0dd-Pocket has a reputation beyond repute

i've heard of it - 08-05-2006, 11:53 AM

when i was real young that is how i learned to shoot pool. to pocket balls i was told to find the light on the ball and hitt it to pocket the ball. it worked real well when i was young. i don't hardly use it anymore but when i play with new players i always tell them to try to hitt the light you see on the ball and it works most of the time for them. someone posted earlyer that it is a good way to start out and i agree with that.

Old
  (#28)
X Breaker
AzB Silver Member
X Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond reputeX Breaker has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 575

08-05-2006, 03:10 PM

Recoveryjones,

I will be looking forward to meeting with you in person to learn a bit more about this system.

Thank you for sharing.

Richard

Old
  (#29)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

08-05-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoveryjones
.Back hand english seems to be the only form of english compatible with aiming systems at least as far as Iknow.RJ
Not true...SAM utilizes it's numerical system for compensating with sidespin quite simple.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Old
  (#30)
Flex
Banger

08-05-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee
Not true...SAM utilizes it's numerical system for compensating with sidespin quite simple.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
Not familiar with SAM. Please feel free to fill us in. Thanks so much.

Flex

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: