Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Problem installing Ki-Tech tip
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Problem installing Ki-Tech tip
Old
  (#1)
Sedog
AzB Silver Member
Sedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Problem installing Ki-Tech tip - 01-27-2015, 11:28 AM

Anyone having problem installing Ki-Tech tips. I bought the sample pack from OUTSVILLE, because of the positive reviews. Any way was having the soft installed as I have been playing with a Ultra Skin soft and wanted to compare them. My installer put it on and cut it down to size, took it off the lathe. It was not very smooth and it wobbled like it was coming off. We just assumed it was bad glue, pull it off resanded the bottom of the tip and noticed it sanded deeper on one side as it looked like there was a hard film on the side that did not sand very well. We decided to continue even though the bottom was at on an angle hoping we could correct it with reshaping. So, sanded the ferrel, opened new glue and put it on again. He did a little more clean up and took it out of the lathe. It was sitting on an angle, did some reshaping. It did not look pretty but, we decided to try it out. It played good, accept chalk real well and it stayed on well. I decided I would live with over the weekend. Played 20 or so games at home. Like the hit and chalk retention but it looked bad, so I cut about 1/16 off re shaped it and ended up with about an11mm tip. Better but not pretty. It really plays good just wish it looked better. I have about 60 games on it now and have say like better than any of the other tips I have tried.

Player, BD cue, Brazilian Kingwood
Tip, Ultra Skin Med.
Jump/breaker, J&J
Case, Sterling
Table, Brunswick Gold Crown 3

Old
  (#2)
Ky Boy
AzB Silver Member
Ky Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond reputeKy Boy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

01-27-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedog View Post
Anyone having problem installing Ki-Tech tips. I bought the sample pack from OUTSVILLE, because of the positive reviews. Any way was having the soft installed as I have been playing with a Ultra Skin soft and wanted to compare them. My installer put it on and cut it down to size, took it off the lathe. It was not very smooth and it wobbled like it was coming off. We just assumed it was bad glue, pull it off resanded the bottom of the tip and noticed it sanded deeper on one side as it looked like there was a hard film on the side that did not sand very well. We decided to continue even though the bottom was at on an angle hoping we could correct it with reshaping. So, sanded the ferrel, opened new glue and put it on again. He did a little more clean up and took it out of the lathe. It was sitting on an angle, did some reshaping. It did not look pretty but, we decided to try it out. It played good, accept chalk real well and it stayed on well. I decided I would live with over the weekend. Played 20 or so games at home. Like the hit and chalk retention but it looked bad, so I cut about 1/16 off re shaped it and ended up with about an11mm tip. Better but not pretty. It really plays good just wish it looked better. I have about 60 games on it now and have say like better than any of the other tips I have tried.

I had the same trouble with the Ki-tech tip. I played about 20 games with it and went to DCC and was going to have Joe Blackburn cut it down a little. As soon as he began taking it down it popped off. Mind you this was the second time I had put the tip on by 2 different installers.

I don't like the way the tip looks on the cue but that is an aesthetic issue I can live with. BTW, it was a medium tip that played much harder than what I like. I may try one of the soft tips I have in the sample pack if I know how to install them without them popping off.

Gary

Old
  (#3)
Dockter
AzB Silver Member
Dockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2015, 11:39 AM

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showth...hlight=ki-tech

Old
  (#4)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-27-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockter View Post
I think there is another post by him explaining how to cut them. I have Mike Webb put mine on, he did it perfectly the first time. Thing still plays amazing months later and has not needed any shaping at all after installation.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#5)
LuckyStroke
Full Splic Addict
LuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond reputeLuckyStroke has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky Boy View Post
I had the same trouble with the Ki-tech tip. I played about 20 games with it and went to DCC and was going to have Joe Blackburn cut it down a little. As soon as he began taking it down it popped off. Mind you this was the second time I had put the tip on by 2 different installers.

I don't like the way the tip looks on the cue but that is an aesthetic issue I can live with. BTW, it was a medium tip that played much harder than what I like. I may try one of the soft tips I have in the sample pack if I know how to install them without them popping off.

Gary
As far as looks goes, once you shape it tape off the ferrule and hit it with a sharpie

Ben

Jim Baxter 4p 4v BRW into BEM full splice wrap less
Jim Baxter J/B BRW and BEM with Ash shaft
Jim Baxter 60" Dufferin conversion
Star City Sneaky bacote into BEM w/ivory by Al Link
Fields custom 2x4, JB rugged 1x2

Old
  (#6)
Dockter
AzB Silver Member
Dockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
I think there is another post by him explaining how to cut them. I have Mike Webb put mine on, he did it perfectly the first time. Thing still plays amazing months later and has not needed any shaping at all after installation.
That's my bad, I thought it was in that post that he explained it. I knew I had seen him explain it and that it was a little different. I still haven't tried them out but if someone can post the other thread here when I buy some I'll point Keith Hanssen in this direction if he has problems but he has always done things great for me.

Old
  (#7)
Chip Roberson
AzB Silver Member
Chip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond reputeChip Roberson has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2015, 03:16 PM

First Soft I played with was great..one of the best tips I ever used..the second one was so soft that the tip wobbled on top,,but was glued down well. I replaced it with Medium tips on both of my shafts and they are damn good..I turn them down with my tip trimmer and haven't had a problem one with the Mediums. Great Product in my book

Old
  (#8)
Sedog
AzB Silver Member
Sedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Roberson View Post
First Soft I played with was great..one of the best tips I ever used..the second one was so soft that the tip wobbled on top,,but was glued down well. I replaced it with Medium tips on both of my shafts and they are damn good..I turn them down with my tip trimmer and haven't had a problem one with the Mediums. Great Product in my book
Yeah, mind wobbled until I cut it down. I think it is because it's solid leather and not bonded layers which provide stiffness because of the bonding. Will try the med. next.

Tip, Ultra Skin Med.
Jump/breaker, J&J
Case, Sterling

Tip istallation
Old
  (#9)
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv
mortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond reputemortuarymike-nv has a reputation beyond repute

Tip istallation - 01-27-2015, 04:10 PM

I started to use a live cutter to cut the tip to the ferrule, works great just don't get into the ferrule.

The live cutter doesn't build heat.............................................. .......

MMike

Old
  (#10)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2015, 06:11 PM

They do cut a bit tough, the same as a couple of other known tips on the market.

It is not a layered tip so won't cut beautiful little ribbons like a layered.

I use a carbide blade for tips so that is one thing that I made sure of, when I installed 2 Ki's. That they were not dull.

I use a little Skoal spit and wax to polish mine. I like the shiny Blue. If you want to turn it brown, go to the Dollar Store and buy a Furniture color marker, tape off the ferrule and paint it Brown. Or a black Sharpie.

You probably got a bad tip to begin with. It happens. I have had Snipers, and just about every other tip that I stock go side ways on me at one time or another.

Elk Master having the propensity to accordion more than any other. Sometimes even after they are pressed.

I am sure that Chris will make it proper with you if you tell him.

Other than that, I installed a Soft on my Meucci. The only other tip that I have used on the Black Dot shaft is either my own Duds, Dawg's Duds, and now a Ki Tec.

So that is why I did it that way. I know what I can expect from the Dot shaft. So far, have not been disappointed in the Ki.

I didn't give it a fair chance the first time, so this time around, putting it thru the paces. I still have a Med and Hard to try.

To play Pool, is to suffer.
To learn to be a better player, is to find some meaning in the suffering.

Dhurka, Dhurka, Allah, Muhammad Jihad

Last edited by Blue Hog ridr; 01-27-2015 at 06:16 PM.

Old
  (#11)
DanO
AzB Silver Member
DanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond reputeDanO has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2015, 06:32 PM

No matter what type of tip I install I always flush under pressure, then recut the nose under pressure so it is concentric with the outside . Works for me.
Attached Images

Old
  (#12)
Sedog
AzB Silver Member

01-27-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortuarymike-nv View Post
I started to use a live cutter to cut the tip to the ferrule, works great just don't get into the ferrule.

The live cutter doesn't build heat.............................................. .......
What is a live cutter?

Tip, Ultra Skin Med.
Jump/breaker, J&J
Case, Sterling

Old
  (#13)
Sedog
AzB Silver Member

01-27-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanO View Post
No matter what type of tip I install I always flush under pressure, then recut the nose under pressure so it is concentric with the outside . Works for me.
Good idea thanks. Is that a Ki-tech tip?

Tip, Ultra Skin Med.
Jump/breaker, J&J
Case, Sterling

Old
  (#14)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2015, 06:58 PM

A live cutter on a lathe would be using a router or a smaller Dremel tool with the proper cutter.

So, the shaft is spinning in the jaws of the head stock, and the cutting blade on the router is also spinning.

As opposed to just the shaft spinning and using a cutting bit on your tool post, and or, a razor blade.

Live cutting is generally referred to when one is cutting outside and inside threads for example.

I couldn't find Tiger Products cutting a tip with a router, but here is Bob Dzuricky live cutting outside threads on a tenon using a router and a thread bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVAy...22327029#t=218

To play Pool, is to suffer.
To learn to be a better player, is to find some meaning in the suffering.

Dhurka, Dhurka, Allah, Muhammad Jihad

Last edited by Blue Hog ridr; 01-27-2015 at 07:09 PM.

Old
  (#15)
ssbn610g
AzB Silver Member
ssbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond reputessbn610g has a reputation beyond repute

01-27-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedog View Post
Good idea thanks. Is that a Ki-tech tip?
No, that is a layered tip.

Al

"I think a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: