Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Fargo Ratings thoughts
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
robsnotes4u
AzB Silver Member
robsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500
  Send a message via Skype™ to robsnotes4u 
12-28-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrv9 View Post
I was watching a match on Youtube the other night between Rodney Morris and SVB. On the bottom of the screen along with the score was the fargo rating for each player. It changed after each game.

Which match is it?

I have seen the odds of winning change but not the FargoRate.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Robert Martin
Billings, MT

Cue...2011 Keith Josey Custom
Ob Break Cue

Old
  (#17)
robsnotes4u
AzB Silver Member
robsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond reputerobsnotes4u has a reputation beyond repute

12-28-2016, 07:45 PM

Here is good video, from Mike Page, of a friend of mine who I have played hundreds of games with

https://youtu.be/F-gZ1px9ci0

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Robert Martin
Billings, MT

Ob Break Cue

Old
  (#18)
pocket
AzB Silver Member
pocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond repute

12-28-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon of Sin View Post
IMO, it might be a great rating system but it's a completely ridiculous name and really hard to take serious.

Give it a name that can be universal to pool or even pool related, not named after a town in ND.
Yes. The name. Destined to fail. Sorry man that's just an odd take. Do you know anyone who doesn't recognize or have heard of the company "Google". It's the product that will win or lose the day, not what they choose to name it.

Old
  (#19)
mikepage
AzB Silver Member
mikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond repute

12-29-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
IMO, it might be a great rating system but it's a completely ridiculous name and really hard to take serious.

Give it a name that can be universal to pool or even pool related, not named after a town in ND.
lol.... I just can't stop thinking of Belgium when I use a Duffel bag or eat Brussels sprouts. Or who can watch a game of Rugby without thinking of that high school in the UK....

mike page
http://www.fargorate.com
player ratings for the world

Old
  (#20)
mikepage
AzB Silver Member
mikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond repute

12-29-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedog View Post
I would like to express my concerns (thoughts) about the Fargo ratings.
Before I go on, I would like to let everyone know that Mike Page has tried to allay my concerns thru several PMs.
As I understand it, the rating do not become "established" until 200 games are played. In my league, Uspl 9 ball, we have 16 teams and play 16 weeks with no byes. This would give me approx. 72 games per season, so in order to become an established player with a stable rating I would have to play for 2.7 seasons to become established.
At this point I have 39 games played so I guess my rating is very erratic. For example I played a player whose rating was the same as mine, 432, our race was to 45. I won by 17 points. My rating dropped to 418 and my opponents rating dropped to 396, and he had more game played than me.
I am assuming this formula has been well thought out but, it seems to me that the ratings for races cannot be the least bit "fair" when they vary so erratically.
Also, we cannot see the formula for calculating the ratings.
Am I way off base here? What are your thoughts?
Don -- Your rating becomes better and better the more games it is based upon. When we corresponded a few weeks ago you had 80 games in the system. Now you have 90. So you are nearly halfway to being established, and all your games are from five months of league play. Here is our conversation with the names removed. Your 90 games are played at 391-speed. That is the level of performance. You also have a starter rating of 450. At this point each carries similar weight and the rating you see is 424.
Attached Images

mike page
http://www.fargorate.com
player ratings for the world

Old
  (#21)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 15960

12-29-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage View Post
lol.... I just can't stop thinking of Belgium when I use a Duffel bag or eat Brussels sprouts. Or who can watch a game of Rugby without thinking of that high school in the UK....
Sounds like you've been preparing for this argument.

You might have a good rating system... but the name sounds like it belongs to a league based out of your home town.

...and the things you mentioned are soooooo far removed from there associated items it's absurd. All of these things have had those named for at least a century, hell in 2 of those cases they were from the 1500's.

Let's face it, you have a pool rating system, not the next great vegetable that will be served at dinner tables around the world.

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Old
  (#22)
billiardthought
Anti-intellectualism
billiardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond repute

12-29-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:

You might have a good rating system... but the name sounds like it belongs to a league based out of your home town.

...and the things you mentioned are soooooo far removed from there associated items it's absurd. All of these things have had those named for at least a century, hell in 2 of those cases they were from the 1500's.

Let's face it, you have a pool rating system, not the next great vegetable that will be served at dinner tables around the world.
I would like to hear what you think a good name is? And I really recommend you give this your best shot.... As a naming expert I only want to see the best

The beatings will continue until volunteering improves

Old
  (#23)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!
Icon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond reputeIcon of Sin has a reputation beyond repute

12-29-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiardthought View Post
I would like to hear what you think a good name is? And I really recommend you give this your best shot.... As a naming expert I only want to see the best
I never claimed to be a naming expert at all. I'm just saying that the name seems like it applied to something that is proprietary to Fargo and as someone not from Fargo, I would assume people not from Fargo the first thing they thing of is the movie and the accents.

Now like I said, I'm not a naming expert by any sense of the word, but if I was naming something that is related to an activity, I would want the name of it to either be related to said activity or have no meaning at all attached to it. Frankly, I think putting the word "rate" in the name is a great idea, but the first half being named after a town that is no way a hub for pool/billiards is just odd to me. Here are 2 examples of what I am saying:

1. OBcues. To this day I still don't know what OB stands for but I know it is a brand that was created for pool products as that is now what I associate the letters OB with. In the case of Fargo, I still associate it with a town in ND and a very successful and brilliant movie. The letters OB could have no conotation with pool but they also had no connotation with anything else before coming to pool.

2. Not being a naming expert I'm going to come up with one off the top of my head that will help with what I was saying with linking it to said activity. BilliardRate. Now it is definitely not a gem or clever or anything else like that by any means, nor would I ever expect FargoRate to be renamed to this and I'm sure that when you were thinking of names for your rating system that BilliardRate was probably one of the ones you thought off using as it is completely unimaginative and uninventive... however... what I see the name the first thing I thing of is Pool/Billiards and that this thing rates things in that activity, whether it is items, players, whatever...

I'm not bashing your system. I find it interesting really. I just think if you want to be taken seriously all around you are goingto need to come up with a better name. Let's say ESPN were broadcasting pool (I know this is a stretch so far) and they wanted to talk about a players skill... do you think they would be more apt to use a name like "BilliardRate" or "FargoRate" when talking about an official pool player rating system.

I'm a regular poster at Jimbo's forum and I have given him shit for the name of the site there. Traffic is slow there, but with the name JimboArmy, no one thinks of it as a pool website at all.

-H

Disclaimer:
I'm really a sh!t pool player and you probably shouldn't listen to any advice I may give.

Old
  (#24)
robsnotes4u
AzB Silver Member

12-29-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:

Funny, Fargo isn't Mike's hometown, even though he might consider it now.

I would say it is very effective, as it is brought up here in conversation. Mike is the most intelligent person I know, and then add Steve, Adele just to name a couple of people, a lot of thought went into naming it.

From a branding perspective, Mike is part of a team that owns Fargo Billiards. He has a game called Fargo. Now he has FargoRate.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

Robert Martin
Billings, MT

Ob Break Cue

Old
  (#25)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

12-29-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I never claimed to be a naming expert at all. I'm just saying that the name seems like it applied to something that is proprietary to Fargo and as someone not from Fargo, I would assume people not from Fargo the first thing they thing of is the movie and the accents.

Now like I said, I'm not a naming expert by any sense of the word, but if I was naming something that is related to an activity, I would want the name of it to either be related to said activity or have no meaning at all attached to it. Frankly, I think putting the word "rate" in the name is a great idea, but the first half being named after a town that is no way a hub for pool/billiards is just odd to me. Here are 2 examples of what I am saying:

1. OBcues. To this day I still don't know what OB stands for but I know it is a brand that was created for pool products as that is now what I associate the letters OB with. In the case of Fargo, I still associate it with a town in ND and a very successful and brilliant movie. The letters OB could have no conotation with pool but they also had no connotation with anything else before coming to pool.

2. Not being a naming expert I'm going to come up with one off the top of my head that will help with what I was saying with linking it to said activity. BilliardRate. Now it is definitely not a gem or clever or anything else like that by any means, nor would I ever expect FargoRate to be renamed to this and I'm sure that when you were thinking of names for your rating system that BilliardRate was probably one of the ones you thought off using as it is completely unimaginative and uninventive... however... what I see the name the first thing I thing of is Pool/Billiards and that this thing rates things in that activity, whether it is items, players, whatever...

I'm not bashing your system. I find it interesting really. I just think if you want to be taken seriously all around you are goingto need to come up with a better name. Let's say ESPN were broadcasting pool (I know this is a stretch so far) and they wanted to talk about a players skill... do you think they would be more apt to use a name like "BilliardRate" or "FargoRate" when talking about an official pool player rating system.

I'm a regular poster at Jimbo's forum and I have given him shit for the name of the site there. Traffic is slow there, but with the name JimboArmy, no one thinks of it as a pool website at all.
Did it ever occur to you that maybe this rating system was to be used in the Fargo area and not worldwide?
Not saying that's the case(I don't know), or maybe the inventors last, first, or nickname was Fargo?

Maybe Mike isn't a "naming" expert either like the rest of us.

Jason

Last edited by jasonlaus; 12-29-2016 at 08:59 AM.

Old
  (#26)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!

12-29-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsnotes4u View Post
Funny, Fargo isn't Mike's hometown, even though he might consider it now.

I would say it is very effective, as it is brought up here in conversation. Mike is the most intelligent person I know, and then add Steve, Adele just to name a couple of people, a lot of thought went into naming it.

From a branding perspective, Mike is part of a team that owns Fargo Billiards. He has a game called Fargo. Now he has FargoRate.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums
Sorry I dont know Mike's history and where he is from.

I'm not saying he isn't a smart person. His system is a testament to his brilliance really. I'm sure he is a much smarter person then myself.

As far as naming the poolhall "Fargo Billiards"... well it's in Fargo... so there's that.

I've been shooting pool for almost 20 years now and have never played the game Fargo. I'm sure it is probably fun and I'm not opposed to trying it.

-H

Disclaimer:

Old
  (#27)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!

12-29-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlaus View Post
Did it ever occur to you that maybe this rating system was to be used in the Fargo area and not worldwide?
Not saying that's the case(I don't know), or maybe the inventors last, first, or nickname was Fargo?

Maybe Mike isn't a "naming" expert either like the rest of us.

The crap people complain about......
Jason
It did occur to me Jason. I even mentioned it in a previous post that it sounds like something that would be used in Fargo.

Did not occur to me that it was his name or anything like that because it's common AZ knowledge that his name isn't Fargo... maybe that's his nickname. I don't know him well enough. If my nickname was "Baltimore" Im sure as hell not going to name anything that I want to be a "standard" for an activity that the only thing it has to do with said town is that some people there play it.

I'm not complaining about it. I was just saying that I think the name could be better, especially if they want it to be a standard it the pool player rating world. In the grand scheme of things I dont give a shit what he calls it, was just thinking it might catch on a little better with a different name. I'm just a hack that doesn't have a Fargo rating or any other pool rating for that matter and probably never will.

Off topic... are you still in my neck of the woods? You ever make it down to Triple Nines? Holidays screwed up my already sporadic pool playing schedule and havent been to the tourney there in a while.

-H

Disclaimer:

Old
  (#28)
billiardthought
Anti-intellectualism
billiardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond reputebilliardthought has a reputation beyond repute

12-29-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
It did occur to me Jason. I even mentioned it in a previous post that it sounds like something that would be used in Fargo.

Did not occur to me that it was his name or anything like that because it's common AZ knowledge that his name isn't Fargo... maybe that's his nickname. I don't know him well enough. If my nickname was "Baltimore" Im sure as hell not going to name anything that I want to be a "standard" for an activity that the only thing it has to do with said town is that some people there play it.

I'm not complaining about it. I was just saying that I think the name could be better, especially if they want it to be a standard it the pool player rating world. In the grand scheme of things I dont give a shit what he calls it, was just thinking it might catch on a little better with a different name. I'm just a hack that doesn't have a Fargo rating or any other pool rating for that matter and probably never will.

Off topic... are you still in my neck of the woods? You ever make it down to Triple Nines? Holidays screwed up my already sporadic pool playing schedule and havent been to the tourney there in a while.
Ore-ida potatoes is literally shortened from Oregon-Idaho. What kind of name is Windex? Nabisco - National Biscuit Company. And then let's get to the weird ones - Chevrolet. Say it slow. Exxon-Mobil. Don't get me started on Law firms. Those unimaginative dbags only use their last names - Williams Hammertooth and Cooch.

I don't think any of these companies need to hire a forum participant to get them a real name. They sell a product and the product worked. It's like me saying your posts would probably be taken more seriously if your username wasn't "Icon Of Sin". No. It's the quality of your posts that are judged. Just like if Mike doesn't produce quality ratings, his product will probably go into retirement.

Also OB are the initials of the two creators founders whatever of OB - Owens Bunnell I believe. They could have done a lot better......

The beatings will continue until volunteering improves

Old
  (#29)
Icon of Sin
Headphones Advocate!

12-29-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiardthought View Post
Ore-ida potatoes is literally shortened from Oregon-Idaho. What kind of name is Windex? Nabisco - National Biscuit Company. And then let's get to the weird ones - Chevrolet. Say it slow. Exxon-Mobil. Don't get me started on Law firms. Those unimaginative dbags only use their last names - Williams Hammertooth and Cooch.

I don't think any of these companies need to hire a forum participant to get them a real name. They sell a product and the product worked. It's like me saying your posts would probably be taken more seriously if your username wasn't "Icon Of Sin". No. It's the quality of your posts that are judged. Just like if Mike doesn't produce quality ratings, his product will probably go into retirement.

Also OB are the initials of the two creators founders whatever of OB - Owens Bunnell I believe. They could have done a lot better......
All of your examples in your first paragraph are just proving my point when I said name it something that has no associations at all. MPRate or PageRate would have even been much better names in my opinion.

I really don't care how my posts are taken, whether serious or in jest. Most of my posts are usually sarcastic. These last few were not. I'm just a little fish in a really big pond. I understand that my opinion doesn't matter and nor should it. Just felt like expressing thinking that others might agree. Not saying I'm right and I'm not saying I was trying to help. I was simply "just sayin..."

I respectfully concede the argument as I don't want any trouble. I understand that people like the rating system because it is a good rating system, I never said it wasnt.

-H

Disclaimer:

Last edited by Icon of Sin; 12-29-2016 at 09:01 AM.

Old
  (#30)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

12-29-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Yeah I've stopped in a few times, not for the tourney though, just hitting some balls into the rails

Might get over there today or tomorrow....maybe

I'll be leaving in a few day for about 4 months - work

The name Fargorate has kinda grown on me since the first time I saw it, kinda like it now, and couldn't really imagine it being called anything else lol.

There are a few products I will never try because of the name or their commercials, Mentos comes to mind, also Skittles, cause of that nasty commercial.

So, you are correct, some people won't like the name and will "hate/dislike" the product because of it(not saying that's the case with you).

Have a great new year!
Jason

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: