Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page You know you have been playing awhile
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
TheBasics
AzB Silver Member
TheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-07-2018, 07:02 AM

bbb, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
you know you have been playing awhile
when the first cue you bought was a 57( not 58 ) inch joss
because thats how they sold them
Reckon Bill Stroud took that with him when he moved West. I've
got a J sideways W that measures in at 28.5" butt & shaft . Any
idea which year they started with the 29"ers ?
Sorry about the hijack.

hank

Old
  (#32)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-07-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
If this thread was a contest, you would be the winner.
...Kickin’n Chicken is one of your biggest fans....
...but many of us aren’t far behind.

I hope you win your next tournament, Mr Gendler....and please report it on AZ.
Yes, I sure am a big fan of Larry. He and I spar on the table almost every Saturday and it's always a pleasure.

I truly felt bad that we had to meet in the semi-finals last Sat but that's how the brackets went.

Larry at 91 still has plenty of game. And added to that he has the most beautiful stroke in the joint, by far. I've seen players just standing around watching him shoot and discussing the beauty of it.

One time Larry was hitting some balls by himself and this short guy on the rail says "You have a beautiful stroke." Larry responds; "Thank you; do you play?"

It was Jose Parica...

as Anito Kid always says: "And I kid you not!"

best,
brian kc

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father

"That was stronger than cat piss, right there." - Brandon Shuff

Playing cues: Tim Scruggs - Jeff Olney
Break cue: Predator BK2 w/White Diamond Tip
Jump cue: Jacoby/Lomax

Old
  (#33)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

09-07-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin' Chicken View Post
Yes, I sure am a big fan of Larry. He and I spar on the table almost every Saturday and it's always a pleasure.

I truly felt bad that we had to meet in the semi-finals last Sat but that's how the brackets went.

Larry at 91 still has plenty of game. And added to that he has the most beautiful stroke in the joint, by far. I've seen players just standing around watching him shoot and discussing the beauty of it.

One time Larry was hitting some balls by himself and this short guy on the rail says "You have a beautiful stroke." Larry responds; "Thank you; do you play?"

It was Jose Parica...

as Anito Kid always says: "And I kid you not!"

best,
brian kc
Well????....does he play?

The last time I saw Jose, he was heading for a crap table...and I was heading for blackjack...
...I said “You know we’re toast, say goodbye to your bank roll.”
...he grinned....when Jose grins, sometimes, he looks like a pirate coming up the side of
your ship....with a knife between his teeth....

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Mansfield Ohio
Old
  (#34)
chuckg
AzB Silver Member
chuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond repute

Mansfield Ohio - 09-07-2018, 09:49 AM

When I started playing it was mostly at bowling alleys,,,Park Lanes in Mansfield at over 50 Gold Crowns. 60 cents an hour, a quarter on the 5 and 50 on the nine was the norm.I remember lots of older guy playing rotation. Fun times.

Old
  (#35)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

09-07-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBasics View Post
bbb, Howdy;

Reckon Bill Stroud took that with him when he moved West. I've
got a J sideways W that measures in at 28.5" butt & shaft . Any
idea which year they started with the 29"ers ?
Sorry about the hijack.

hank
Around '80. Everything was 57" and all of a sudden cues were 58". I've never been told exactly why the cues grew and inch. More 9ball and less 14.1 thus more reaching? Have no clue.

Old
  (#36)
Runner
AzB Silver Member
Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond repute

09-07-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Andros View Post
Z - 57' was the standard until, I believe, the late 70s, early 80s. My 73 Meucci is 57.
My first cues were both 57", a Palmer Original, and a rosewood Tad merry widow.
I think someone was correct about 57" being normal in the 14.1 days, shorter stroke
ala Mosconi. Now you see guys bridging very long, with 60" cues.

Old
  (#37)
DelawareDogs
AzB <Platinum> Member
DelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond reputeDelawareDogs has a reputation beyond repute

09-07-2018, 10:10 AM

....when you remember the lesson you got as a kid, from a very middle aged Grady Matthews when he was doing exhibitions.

Old
  (#38)
Z-Nole
AzB Silver Member
Z-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond repute

09-07-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
My first cues were both 57", a Palmer Original, and a rosewood Tad merry widow.
I think someone was correct about 57" being normal in the 14.1 days, shorter stroke
ala Mosconi. Now you see guys bridging very long, with 60" cues.
I'm told my Josh was made in 1967 and its only 57". I'm so accustomed to my 59" Mobley that I can even use it.

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: