Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page who have you played
Page 4 of 5 « First 234 5

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#46)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-08-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
It's just you, Chris. This thread has great value. I'm always looking to learn more about various players and about the game's history, and the posts in this thread will help me with determining from whom I can learn more about specific players.

The one negative is that by telling others about who we've played, some of us, like me, are showing our age!
I don't believe anyone is bragging. I look at some of it as learning, while at the same time acquiring battle scars.

I'm sure there are several of us that have stood toe-to-toe with some great players at least once and lived to tell about it.

Also, there are some beast among us today. Not all are dead and gone....or even old for that matter.

First time I played casper....I underestimated him due to him looking like he was 14 years old (not sure how old he was). Rascally kid almost beat me....he has much improved since then I'm sure. That was in 2017.

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#47)
DaveK
pre-proscribed
DaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 526

01-08-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
It's just you, Chris. This thread has great value. I'm always looking to learn more about various players and about the game's history, and the posts in this thread will help me with determining from whom I can learn more about specific players.

The one negative is that by telling others about who we've played, some of us, like me, are showing our age!
You are a perfect age IMO.

Dave <-- a '58 baby who has played World Champion Cliff Thorburn in an exhibition game and Canadian Champion Darryl Wouters too many times

Can't fix stupid, you're on your own.

who else did I play
Old
  (#48)
chuckg
AzB Silver Member
chuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond reputechuckg has a reputation beyond repute

Smile who else did I play - 01-08-2020, 04:01 PM

I almost forgot a great weekend at MaGoos in Tulsa.I played a few games with Hopkins,the Miz and Effren. I did not impress any of them although Mr Reyes laughed at the way I butchered tagolag.I t was to many years since I had been to Clark AB.I played in a ring game there with Cuemakers Stroud Scruggs and Blud...who knew these fellas can play.Of all the players I mentioned Jr Norris,Verl and Hitchcock stand out as guiet unassuming nice guys that could take all your $ and let you enjoy it while they did it.

Old
  (#49)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-08-2020, 04:14 PM

oh there are beast out there today

i used to play anybody with a spot

today if you ask me how i would play
scott or tony or alex,i would be afraid to play

20 to 3 would be a tough game
people i can beat say oh no 8 to 4

little do they know

these guys play great

JJ,chip, joey

it is even worse if you talk 9 ball

there is no reasonable way to match up if they ever
get to break

Old
  (#50)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member

JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

01-08-2020, 06:05 PM

Did anyone around here play Danny basavich back in the day?

I read that book about him and he seemed like someone who could catch a serious gear, but there were some inconsistencies that made me wonder. And one part claimed he won 80 straight racks against a guy named “Cheyanne” Pete Trujillo.

Old
  (#51)
Taxi
AzB Silver Member
Taxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond reputeTaxi has a reputation beyond repute

01-08-2020, 06:32 PM

Much shorter list than anyone here, mostly players who either came from or passed through DC BITD. Most of them I only played in tournaments, but a few of them I did gamble with, most of them of course with weight.

Geese (many times, greatest one barrel shot artist ever)
Gump (Steve Gumphrey, many times, with big spots)
Tom-Tom (Tom Wirth, many times, but only 9 ball)
Frisco Jack (at Beanie's in Virginia)
Lefty Joe (great DC player BITD)
Denny Searcy (at the Palace in San Francisco and one other place out there)
George Michaels (at 79th & Exchange on Chicago's South Side, when he was in the Army)
Earthquake (many times at weekly tournaments in Rockville, MD)
Mike Davis (ditto)
Max Eberle (ditto)
Manny Chau (ditto)
Brandon Shuff (ditto)
Leonardo Andam
Shaun Wilkie
Charlie Williams (with a huge spot)
Buddy Dennis

Of all those, the best I ever saw were Denny Searcy, Steve Gumphrey, and of course Keith "Earthquake" McCready. (Only played Andam once, in a local tournament, and his mind was elsewhere.)

Old
  (#52)
dardusm
AzB Silver Member
dardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond reputedardusm has a reputation beyond repute

01-09-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
How many of you guys forgot Dave Matlock?
Just played Dave last Friday night in a tournament. Looking good and he his hitting some balls and going to play at the Derby.

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. ~John Lennon

That's what a champion does, take their time in key situations ~ Scott Frost

Player: Holly/Ebony Custom Roach Cue
Breaker: Custom Roach Breaker
Jump: Custom Roach Jump Cue

Old
  (#53)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

01-09-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bic D View Post
Dave Bollman

Pat Morita AKA--Mr. Miyagi
Did you really play Pat Morita? Everybody glossed over that. Tell us the story! Did he chalk a chopstick?

Old
  (#54)
Bic D
AzB Silver Member
Bic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond repute

01-09-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecentShot View Post
Did you really play Pat Morita? Everybody glossed over that. Tell us the story! Did he chalk a chopstick?
I don't know the exact date but it was right after one of the Alomar brothers from the Baltimore Orioles spit on Hersfield the ref over a disputed play.

We were staying in the Sheraton Inner Harbor. I had met the manager when she visited the Outer Banks a couple months earlier and planted the bug about watching a game and staying there.

We went to the bar the first night after the game and a few players were there. The manager told us that Pat Morita had been there but left already. I can't remember all the questions I asked but she said he was in town for a Natural Foods Expo in the hotel and he has been playing nightly and has his own pool stick.

We go the 2nd night and we are getting ready to leave when I look down the hallway and see a very short fellow carrying a case. It had to be him. I quickly gave my wife a $10 and tell her to get all quarters.

We lined them up on the table and I waited for him to almost finish his 1st gold drink. I approached I invited him for a game for which he said he would be over in a minute.

A couple of moments later he came over and we introduced ourselves and we started playing. We played 1x1, and doubles with our wives. Every time he needed a drink, we bought whatever it was and every time we needed a beer, he was buying that for us.

He was good pool player. I don't play league but I would say a high B player but it was obvious that he wasn't taking it too serious either.

We played for at least 2.5 hours and other people we standing and watching but they didn't approach us. We were all getting ready to leave when Pat asked us if we wanted a picture or something and we said we didn't want to put him through the trouble. The manager sent someone for a Polaroid camera lol, and was told the cleaning crew had it and were taking pics of damages.

The manager picked up both of our tabs. I never found out what the gold stuff was. We played and talked and laughed. He lit a cigarette which surprised me for some reason. We never mentioned Hollywood or Happy Days and neither did he. It was just a good time with a really nice guy

Old
  (#55)
jokrswylde
AzB Silver Member
jokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond repute

01-09-2020, 12:25 PM

That is a great story and I'm sure a good memory. Everything I have read about him says he was a very funny guy and very genuine.

E. Pluribus Unum...that is what our country was founded on...and what we should be striving for today

Disclaimer: I am only an APA 5. I am scared to play for the cheese, even if I have the nuts. I only play on toy 7 foot tables and am terrified of real 9 foot tables. My proudest posessions are my APA patches. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Old
  (#56)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

01-09-2020, 01:22 PM

nice story

Ky player
Old
  (#57)
raycharlesbrown
AzB Silver Member
raycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond reputeraycharlesbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Ky player - 01-09-2020, 03:57 PM

Jimmy Hodges with the last 3, and won/Joe Dan Bilyeu/lost, and Hoot Owl.
All 3 of them played as good as anybody in their time.

Old
  (#58)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member

01-09-2020, 08:07 PM

Dave Matlock was really a great player
I believe he comes close to being what people
imagine a money player to be

he went up against anyone willing to play. Stayed in
constant action,played at the very top level
bar pool. Had stakehorses that constantly and consistently made money.

And he played so very good and high and often

My impression was that wherever he went ,he played.

He wasn't a Nick varner ,but he was and still may be great.

What was his stake horse name?

Old
  (#59)
FRDennis
Registered
FRDennis is on a distinguished road

01-10-2020, 05:49 AM

Mike Dechaine
Rob Saez
Alex Pagulayan
Francisco Bustamante
Shaun Wilkie
Kid Delicious Danny Basavich
Tom D'Alfonso
Nelson Oliveira
Carlos Viera
Ivica Putnik

Old
  (#60)
Z-Nole
AzB Silver Member
Z-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond repute

01-10-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpot View Post
D. B. Cooper , paid me in marked money
Caitlyn Jenner in a tournament
Randall Stephens paid me by taking me charter fishing
The Ghost
jack
How was the fishing?

Page 4 of 5 « First 234 5

Rate This Thread