Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Will this shutdown finish off most pool halls in the US?
Page 3 of 10 123 45 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
animatedvmaker
Banned
animatedvmaker has a reputation beyond reputeanimatedvmaker has a reputation beyond reputeanimatedvmaker has a reputation beyond reputeanimatedvmaker has a reputation beyond reputeanimatedvmaker has a reputation beyond reputeanimatedvmaker has a reputation beyond reputeanimatedvmaker has a reputation beyond reputeanimatedvmaker has a reputation beyond reputeanimatedvmaker has a reputation beyond reputeanimatedvmaker has a reputation beyond reputeanimatedvmaker has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-26-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinacria View Post
its the slumlords type property owners who wont give them a chance during this time, they have no interst in covid19 or what it does to business and money, and they rather have it closed than let someone not pay even when closed by government rules. I knew this woman in manhattan, she kept an apartment closed in the upper east side for 3 years than give it less than 15K a month in rent. so she forwent couple hundred K in rent money income. who knows how they think. lets hope its not terrible
I will never understand these owners way of thinking. They would rather have the place sit empty then to make the rent affordable for a small business. My home pool hall sat empty for years after it closed down back in around the year 2000, because the landlord kept increasing the rent every year, until the pool hall eventually ran out of business.

In the end, he could not afford the $2,000 per month rent, for the pool hall.

Old
  (#32)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

03-26-2020, 02:24 PM

The long term concern I have is this question:

Will we ever be the same again?

Will we shake hands, stand close when we talk, touch things without washing our hands? Hug? Kiss? Play pool? Touch screens?

Unfortunately, pool falls into the category of germy activities. We touch the cloth that hundreds of others have touched, the racks, and balls. We talk with friends in bars.

There will be those of us who will be more cautious than ever. Who wants even a simple, annoying common cold? Strep or the flu? Pink eye? Or the occasional Covid 19 that will still pop up long into the future.

Now that we are aware, what will we be?

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 03-26-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Old
  (#33)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-26-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATE View Post

At the current trend......idiots.

Maniac (not everyone included)

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#34)
MitchAlsup
AzB Silver Member
MitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond reputeMitchAlsup has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:

My parents never forgot the conditions they lived through in the Great depression.

Quote:
Will we shake hands, stand close when we talk, touch things without washing our hands? Hug? Kiss? Play pool? Touch screens?
Slowly over a decade, this stuff will return to (ahem) normal.

Quote:
Unfortunately, pool falls into the category of germy activities. We touch the cloth that hundreds of others have touched, the racks, and balls. We talk with friends in bars.
Would you rather talk to enemies at the bar !!!

{Sorry, sarcastic mode flare up in progress.....}

Quote:
There will be those of us who will be more cautious than ever. Who wants even a simple, annoying common cold? Strep or the flu? Pink eye? Or the occasional Covid 19 that will still pop up long into the future.

Nobody ever wanted to be sick--E V E R.

However, almost everybody wants to have what used to be normal human relations with way more than just family. The outgoing seem to need 20-200 rather close friends, the introverted may only need 5-20. But we all need more than what we find in our family at home.

Old
  (#35)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

03-26-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:

I believe the answer is "Yes" because the human race will adapt to the need for greater precaution and greater intervention in the area of vast biological threats.

If you go back to the fourteenth century, some were concerned, during and in the aftermath of the Black Plague, that the contaminated bodies of those that had died from plague posed an enormous threat to those that survived them, and they were right … but necessity is the mother of invention and in the wake of the black plague came the idea that even common people should be buried in boxes, now typically know as coffins, but even this came with a few problems. It was eventually determined that these boxes needed to be a few feet under ground so that animals could not dig them up. Man adapted, and found many more sanitary ways, and society survived, as did the people's way of life.

The aftermath of Corona is likely to have some kind of modern equivalent of this pattern, in which people better learn to eliminate or control the conventional, biological and chemical threats posed by the environment and surroundings without compromising their way of living.

Count me as an optimist.

Old
  (#36)
3kushn
AzB Silver Member
3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-26-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Those with a shaky busi ess model trying to run it like its 1968 will likely die but if they were a solid business with food, bar and marketing they should come back just like any other sound entertainment venue.

Sent from the future.
Hope you're wrong about traditional pool rooms.
My basement will be the only carom table in town if you're right.

Old
  (#37)
WildWing
AzB Silver Member
WildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2020, 04:56 PM

Most of the pool rooms will killed off with the no smoking laws and the recessions of 2000, 2001, and 2008. This one will not help, and yes, will kill off some more.

Old
  (#38)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2020, 05:01 PM

My home room is using the down time to remodel its bar.

Regrettably, many pool rooms exist on the financial edge and will undoubtably go under without the beneficence of the bank/landlord.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#39)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2020, 06:02 PM

I'm gonna open one after the corona clears. Gonna name it "Bailout Billiards".

Old
  (#40)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

03-26-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedvmaker View Post
I will never understand these owners way of thinking. They would rather have the place sit empty then to make the rent affordable for a small business. My home pool hall sat empty for years after it closed down back in around the year 2000, because the landlord kept increasing the rent every year, until the pool hall eventually ran out of business.

In the end, he could not afford the $2,000 per month rent, for the pool hall.
Question is valid but if the owner has a large portfolio of properties, it could not be a big deal to let one building sit empty, as a tax write off.

We have this NE cornor in Peoria everything that goes into this strip mall dies, of the 13 - 15 rental spaces 3 or 4 of the businesses are there over two years. I call it come & go mall.

Owner of property let's it go to CRAP, does not keep clean, pave asphalt, or seem to care. Apprently owner own like 100 of these properties around USA. This one apprently don't matter.

The other three corner strip mall property's thrive.

“Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Old
  (#41)
jimmyco
NRA4Life

jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchAlsup View Post
My parents never forgot the conditions they lived through in the Great depression.
Same with my parents. They rarely spoke of it and only with others their own age when they did.

IMO, this cannot begin to compare.

The Great Depression was a perfect storm of sorts.
Post-war Europe.
Black Tuesday.
The Dust Bowl.
Shortsighted Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act .

These events all played huge roles. Hopefully, we are wiser now and can prevent history from repeating.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#42)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

03-26-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyco View Post
Same with my parents. They rarely spoke of it and only with others their own age when they did.

IMO, this cannot begin to compare.

The Great Depression was a perfect storm of sorts.
Post-war Europe.
Black Tuesday.
The Dust Bowl.
Shortsighted Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act .

These events all played huge roles. Hopefully, we are wiser now and can prevent history from repeating.
Agreed, those of us who weren't there, even those like me who've read volumes about it, can hardly imagine the Depression.

I recall some twenty years ago watching "The Three Stooges" with my uncle, who even then was in his 70's. I always enjoyed their comedy and the way they regularly found themselves employed in jobs for which they had no skills.

My uncle offered an insight that I'll never forget. He'd grown up in the depression and noted how when unemployment skyrocketed, people were so desperate for work that many people tried, and sometimes succeeded, at getting jobs for which they were absolutely unsuitable.

He related that he had seen "The Three Stooges" (cinema shorts back then) in the 1930's and explained to me that when they took on all these jobs at which they were incompetent, it was just a satire on something that was actually going on during the Depression.

To me, it was pure comedy. To him, it was satire. Guess you had to be there to truly understand the Depression.

Old
  (#43)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2020, 07:55 PM

I think sadly that many rooms will not reopen again- so there will be probably less rooms now than any period in the last 100 years. Honestly believe that pool will be close to extinct in the U.S. within 20 years. i may lose the value of my entire collection too- but I'm not selling- I love them!

Old
  (#44)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?
jimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2020, 08:11 PM

Cheesecake Factory Refuses To Pay Rent, Cites "Tremendous Financial Blow"

Not an April Fool's joke...

Mar 26, 2020 11:30 AM

Old
  (#45)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Agreed, those of us who weren't there, even those like me who've read volumes about it, can hardly imagine the Depression.

I recall some twenty years ago watching "The Three Stooges" with my uncle, who even then was in his 70's. I always enjoyed their comedy and the way they regularly found themselves employed in jobs for which they had no skills.

My uncle offered an insight that I'll never forget. He'd grown up in the depression and noted how when unemployment skyrocketed, people were so desperate for work that many people tried, and sometimes succeeded, at getting jobs for which they were absolutely unsuitable.

He related that he had seen "The Three Stooges" (cinema shorts back then) in the 1930's and explained to me that when they took on all these jobs at which they were incompetent, it was just a satire on something that was actually going on during the Depression.

To me, it was pure comedy. To him, it was satire. Guess you had to be there to truly understand the Depression.
I had this conversation with my 98 year old aunt (a New Yorker) last week. I asked her if she had seen anything like this in her lifetime before. She immediately answered YES! I was stunned. She then launched into a ten minute soliloquy of what the Great Depression was like. It began with the stock market crash of 1929 and continued unabated for the next ten years! In 1939 we began manufacturing armaments for WWII and that breathed some life into our industry, and the jobs to go with it. In essence the war saved our country.

She said that everybody was out of work and families would line up at the bread lines each day to get their ration of soup and bread. There was no unemployment or bail out for anyone. Most businesses were shuttered. People slept in the street or alleys at night and bundled up together when it was cold, maybe one blanket to cover them all. My grandfather had been a wealthy man, the owner of the largest diamond cutting factory in New York. He was smart and saved his money. He had to close up shop, but he owned the building. He let his employees who had no place to stay sleep at the factory, where they had heat and restrooms. He had food brought in every day for them. They no longer got paid, but they survived!

She told me that when their neighbors were getting their homes foreclosed they came to my grandpa, Jay Dinhofer. He would lend them the money to pay the mortgage, usually small amounts like $30 or $40. Grandpa Jay had provided diamonds to the Bulova watch company and in the depression he bought in and became one of the owners. I'm proud to carry his name.

P.S. That building on 23rd St. (over 150,000 square feet on six floors) is still in our family and I own exactly 1% of it.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Last edited by jay helfert; 03-26-2020 at 09:44 PM.

Page 3 of 10 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: