Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Off brand CFS vs name brand

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Off brand CFS vs name brand
Old
  (#1)
Sedog
AzB Silver Member
Sedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Off brand CFS vs name brand - 05-13-2020, 01:24 PM

Anybody know what the differences are between the big name Carbon Fiber Shafts and the off brand shafts?
Thanks

Player, BD cue, Brazilian Kingwood
Tip, Ultra Skin Med.
Jump/breaker, J&J
Case, Sterling
Table, Brunswick Gold Crown 3

Old
  (#2)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

05-13-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedog View Post
Anybody know what the differences are between the big name Carbon Fiber Shafts and the off brand shafts?
Thanks
Deflection rates
Finish and fitment
Warranty
Ability to customize
Availability
Cost
Resale value

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#3)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.
j2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond repute

05-13-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks
About 200 bucks.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire - "What you are shouts so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear what you say." - R.W. Emerson -

TOMAHAWK FERRULE MATERIAL - NO CLICK, JUST BANG.

Old
  (#4)
Thunder Thighs
learning daily...

Thunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2950

05-13-2020, 11:28 PM

Thereís a lot of R&D that should go in to developing/manufacturing a carbon fiber shaft. There are many types of carbon fiber and several ways to make a shaft. Those brands that develop their product properly will logically have a better product.

I really believe itís not just a matter of buying some unknown ďsupposedĒ carbon fiber tubes and finishing them. Iíd compare it to wood like this.

Itís simply just a new material to work with.
You have to know how to select what type of material to start with.
You have to know how to process the material to get the end result.
The end result needs to be repeatable.

Old
  (#5)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

05-13-2020, 11:36 PM

As usual, Predator has the lowest deflection ones. That was true of the wooden ld's as well. So if you care about deflection, Predator is the way to go. Of course, to achieve this, they made the shaft hollow and thin, which means the feel is not as solid as some of the other offerings. I heard Cuetec may lower their prices soon. If true, that is great news, because the shaft they make is allready the best or maybe second best to Mezz, IMO. At a lower price the competition will be blown away. The Mezz is so outrageously priced, I cannot recommend it.

The no-name shafts are not so good. I haven't tried one I like yet, and I doubt I ever will. The surfacing is bad and the feel is inconsistent. Buy a Cuetec, and be done with it.

Old
  (#6)
9ballhasbeen
AzB Silver Member
9ballhasbeen has a reputation beyond repute9ballhasbeen has a reputation beyond repute9ballhasbeen has a reputation beyond repute9ballhasbeen has a reputation beyond repute9ballhasbeen has a reputation beyond repute9ballhasbeen has a reputation beyond repute9ballhasbeen has a reputation beyond repute9ballhasbeen has a reputation beyond repute9ballhasbeen has a reputation beyond repute9ballhasbeen has a reputation beyond repute9ballhasbeen has a reputation beyond repute

05-14-2020, 06:57 AM

I think the Cuetec Cynergy is superior to the REVO and costs considerably less. They also had an 11.8 that they were showing for a couple of days at BCA-PL, before it was shut-down.

Old
  (#7)
blackda
AzB Gold Member

blackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond reputeblackda has a reputation beyond repute

05-14-2020, 07:19 AM

I started with a Meucci 21-3c w/cf shaft. I liked it and then decided to purchase a Cynergy cf for my Schon. It plays even better.

However I like to have things look like they belong together. The plain all black cf Cynergy on my Schon bothered me due to the missing ring work. So I had a local cue builder, David Rowell out of Birmingham AL, build me one with the Schon nickel ring work. I also had him put a Ultraskin Pro tip on it.

The shaft David built is as low in deflection as my Cynergy. It does seem to have a more solid feeling hit to it, like that of a wood shaft. The ring work does not seem the affect the hit at all, this was something David was initially concerned about. David’s cf shaft has become my primary playing shaft.

So with all that said, it a local builder if doing cf shafts, I recommend trying one out. They seem to be much less expensive and in my case, play better. Do your research and know your builder.

Playing cues: Schon STL-19 w/David Rowell custom CF shaft
Break cue: Summit Mamba
Jump cue: Hanshew
Case: JB 4x8
Table: 7í Diamond ProAm
Cloth: Simonis 860HR
Rack: Delta13, Accu-Rack
Balls: Aramith Tournament TV Pro-Cup, Cyclop Hyperion

Old
  (#8)
Sedog
AzB Silver Member
Sedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond reputeSedog has a reputation beyond repute

05-14-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks
Thanks for the options guys. I live in an non metropolitan area so Iíve never seen a CFS or shot with one. I found a local cue mechanic (50miles) advertising carbon fiber shafts at a reasonable price. I called, made an appointment, tried one out. I usually play with a Z2 and his CFS played almost identical to it. The was super smooth and very straight. I order one and got it the other day. I gave him my butt to match up the shaft and it matches so well you can barely feel the joint. It is extremely smooth and straight. I had him do the tip at 12.4 with a Kamui soft tip ( his recommendation), it has a pro taper and plays great.
Iím thinking that providing him with the butt has a distinct advantage over buying a brand name shaft because of the fit at the joint and I saved some bucks. Love the shaft.

Player, BD cue, Brazilian Kingwood
Tip, Ultra Skin Med.
Jump/breaker, J&J
Case, Sterling
Table, Brunswick Gold Crown 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: