3 piece slate or 1 piece slate?

Moonraker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have purchased a new Diamond Pro 9' table. I have the option of doing 3 piece 1.5" slate or 1 piece 1" slate. I think both have their advantages and disadvantages, but would anyone like to offer me their opinion on which way to go? The price is the same.

Thanks,
Moonraker

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
when it comes time to move this table your limiting yourself when you buy 1pc slate. How many mecanics do you know that will move a 1pc 9 foot slate?

Moonraker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...

Well, there's the disadvantage. I think I could get it moved if I ever needed to. Might take a forklift to do it, but it could be done. Just trying to figure out if the advantages (no seams, less holes, flat) would outweigh the disadvantage of moving the table.

LoGiC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you plan on moving any time soon? If not, go for the 1 piece slate. Why worry about the slate shifting over time if you don't have to?

Stewscue

Azbilliardacademy
Silver Member
1 piece All the way

I love my 1 piece
If you need to move it just get a group of guys they are bullet proof
They flip it up on its side and roll it
They even have a special cart for the tables if you really needed one
I was so happy they offered a 1 piece
I hate the seems
On all my tables in the past I could see and or feel the seem

My 2 or 3 cents
Thanks

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stewscue said:
I love my 1 piece
If you need to move it just get a group of guys they are bullet proof
They flip it up on its side and roll it
They even have a special cart for the tables if you really needed one
I was so happy they offered a 1 piece
I hate the seems
On all my tables in the past I could see and or feel the seem

My 2 or 3 cents
Thanks

Why do you even know a table has seams?
Sounds like a bad installation.

Dale

almarktool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the 9ft pro diamond with 3 pc slate, IMO i would go 3 pieces, as it is much easier to get a smaller piece of slate precisly machined than a larger one, you can not feel or see any seems on my table

av84fun

Banned
While "s hift happens" as the Southwest flight attendants say, I have actual experience with the fact that....PROPERLY INSTALLED there should be no seam issues.

My table is in a converted garage which is not tied into the house's HVAC system and instead, has a through-the-wall heating/AC system....like a motel room.

Therefore, the pool room is subject to significantly greater heat/cold/humidity variations than a room that is on a central system.

But even on central systems, where people use cost saving temp settings at night or when they are out of town, a poorly installed 3 pc.

On two occasions, I had meaningful buckling of the slate causing the visible seam. But I finally found an excellent mechanic who uses something other than plain beaswax. If memory serves, it was some combination of beeswax and a Bondo-type substance.

He guaranteed against seam shifting and after a year, he is absolutely right.

So, if you are considering a 3 pc. system, I would absolutely ask the installer what seam substance he uses and ask for a written guarantee against seam lines.

Regards,
Jim

Moonraker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1 piece

I went ahead and went with the 1 piece slate. Other than the difficult time moving the slate, I see no reason not to go with it. I don't plan on moving anytime soon (the housing market is too bad) and never worrying about having a seem shi(f)t on me will give me some piece of mind.

I appreciate the responses here. It definitely helped make my decision.

Moonraker

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Moonraker said:
I went ahead and went with the 1 piece slate. Other than the difficult time moving the slate, I see no reason not to go with it. I don't plan on moving anytime soon (the housing market is too bad) and never worrying about having a seem shi(f)t on me will give me some piece of mind.

I appreciate the responses here. It definitely helped make my decision.

Moonraker
You didn't make a bad call, just make sure the slate can be installed in the room you are planning on putting the table in;)

Glen