Risk of ‘inside’ english

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something I had never before considered (go figure). I HAD learned over the years to apply more outside to compensate for throw as the balls became dirtier, but had not though about how much more likely a skid might occur when using inside. I have merely always selected whatever side spin seemed appropriate only to steer the CB.
Strange that this issue is hardly ever discussed (?).
Also, I suspect constantly practicing at home with Taum chalk & a red circle may possibly und up being detrimental, as I could eventually forget out of habit to thus compensate when competing under ordinary conditions.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Where's C.J. when you need him? ;) He could tell you all you need to know about inside english.

Maniac

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Inside is unforgiving because of the direction of the spin on the cue ball.
There's no slippage like there is with outside but its important to learn. Start with shots
that are 1 diamond of distance from the object ball then gradually increase your
distance. Learn you allowances by distance with a medium stroke then know that soft
stroke is less allowance and a harder stroke is more. If you know a little about it the risk
is much less and there is a little wiggle room but on the thin side.

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just clean the balls.
On skids, the slower the cue ball, the worst the skid. Cut induced throw and gearing (Dr. Dave ese) become the operative function at collision.

Last century when there were still pool rooms and Aramith balls were the craze, I noticed Centennial balls skidded more readily than Aramith. Seemed like Centennials right out the box were guaranteed to skid and Aramiths almost never did.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Skid occur when the base of the object ball loses traction with the bed cloth. Inside doesn't really do that on a normal inside English shot. Top spin , slowly is the worse for skidding.

I do see inside on occasion cause the object ball to roll over some, where it opens the angle of the shot. Like a skid, but not quite the same. Again slow speed, dirty balls abd slick cloth all contribute.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny story. Ronnie OSullivan was asked about ‘side’; side is what the Snooker players call English. He said that he doesn’t really know which is which, inside or outside, He switches his hands depending where he’s shooting on the table said it all gets too complicated. He just knows where to hit the ball.

My biggest variable adjusting English , 90%, is the type and condition of the cloth. Dirty balls. chalk etc. might matter but I don’t have the skill to judge them. In contrast, I usually recognize the cloth or condition of the cloth. I likely put some type of English on nearly every shot..inside, outside. I’ll never shoot like Ronnie O’Sullivan but, like him, I just add it instinctively.

Last edited:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While likely rare (and thus hard to demonstrate), Murphy’s Law would imply that even a perfectly clean CB spinning with inside that hits exactly on that single chalk mark, might widen the angle on a (necessarily) slow-rolled ball enough to cause a miss.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may be wrong, but I’m thinking something like 9/10 of all skids are with slow speed top spin.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Skid (or “cling” or “kick”) is just extra throw caused by extra friction between the balls caused by something caught between them at the point of contact - almost always a chalk smudge.

It can happen with any kind of CB hit or rotation and isn’t affected by ball/cloth friction.

pj
chgo

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Skid (or “cling” or “kick”) is just extra throw caused by extra friction between the balls caused by something caught between them at the point of contact - almost always a chalk smudge.

It can happen with any kind of CB hit or rotation and isn’t affected by ball/cloth friction.

pj
chgo

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh

NO goddamnit, its a mystery. MYSTERY.........

That way, the door is open to sell instructional videos sometime later to explain how a super secret sphincter clench is required to combat the dreaded inside.