Looking to upgrade/change maple cues

Nab0610

Registered
I have a mali v8 like the cue it plays really well, but the butt has some cracks internally they've yet to affect its play, but I'm worried some day the cue will eventually crack. People will ask me sometimes what that noise is...Can't be good its played that way for over a year and nothing has happened i'm just worried something will...

The shaft has a 13mm taper and is maple. I don't like these carbon fiber shafts I'd rather play with a bar cue honestly...

Idm going with a lower taper, but I like the hit and feel of the cue I just don't get that with the carbon fiber and hollow shafts...

Any recommendations as to who makes cues that play and feel like the old school cues. If the deflection is different I can deal with that I just like to feel the hit. It might sound weird but when I'm in a rhythm playing people will say they heard my cue like a miscue (i assume thats the wood cracking) I just don't even hear it I just feel a nice clean crisp hit and I'm thinking about where the balls going and how I'm playing the next shot.

Where can I find cues like that now? I want to be able to buy a cue where if I want another shaft I can buy one, not like I have to go get this shaft specially made again either that or I'd want to buy two specially made shafts but 5 years down the road I wouldn't have to worry about the cue/shaft never being available again if you know what i mean...

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go to Mezz usa...or Monster break billiards and buy a mezz. Great cues under 550 I recommend getting a cue with their "united joint" instead of Wavy joint.

I got a Rosewood Axi model with wavy joint and a wx900 shaft...its a great cue.

I've played with Schon .Joss . .jacoby . diveny .meucci origional old mcdermotts. Viking. CarmellI and a few other customs. Mezz is up there with the best. For not much $$$. Their cues with inlays are really,pricey...just get a plane jane or,sneaky pete mezz and call it a day.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My only regret is the wavy joint limits u on shafts u can use. The United Joint fits 5/16-14 aftermarket shafts...wavy joint is proprietary

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
You assume the wood is cracking. If it has a weight bolt check and see if its loose. Also check the joint and jt. screw, and shaft. It may be an easy fix.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You assume the wood is cracking. If it has a weight bolt check and see if its loose. Also check the joint and jt. screw, and shaft. It may be an easy fix.

^ check your weight bolt. And ferrule. It is very very unlikely what you are hearing is actually cracked wood.

Also what is the feel of an "old school cue"? Do you just mean one without a LD shaft?

Last edited:

maplecap

Jack
Silver Member
Hey BadEnglish - What a blast seeing your avatar! The “Residents” were my favorite band for a very long time. Only for the hardcore disturbed. Don’t let the secret out. Cheers

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just tell people it is a voodoo cue and they should probably give it its due respect, just in case?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a mali v8 like the cue it plays really well, but the butt has some cracks internally they've yet to affect its play, but I'm worried some day the cue will eventually crack. People will ask me sometimes what that noise is...Can't be good its played that way for over a year and nothing has happened i'm just worried something will...

The shaft has a 13mm taper and is maple. I don't like these carbon fiber shafts I'd rather play with a bar cue honestly...

Idm going with a lower taper, but I like the hit and feel of the cue I just don't get that with the carbon fiber and hollow shafts...

Any recommendations as to who makes cues that play and feel like the old school cues. If the deflection is different I can deal with that I just like to feel the hit. It might sound weird but when I'm in a rhythm playing people will say they heard my cue like a miscue (i assume thats the wood cracking) I just don't even hear it I just feel a nice clean crisp hit and I'm thinking about where the balls going and how I'm playing the next shot.

Where can I find cues like that now? I want to be able to buy a cue where if I want another shaft I can buy one, not like I have to go get this shaft specially made again either that or I'd want to buy two specially made shafts but 5 years down the road I wouldn't have to worry about the cue/shaft never being available again if you know what i mean...
You said "13mm taper". 13mm is the diameter of the shaft at the ferrule. Taper is the rate that the diameter grows. Two different things.