Coronavirus and BCA Pool League World Championships

markusca

Registered
I had a heart condition that I am just now starting to feel closer to 100%. My Dr. advises that I don't attend events like this because of the current risks and provided me with a note stating that. Most companies in the Bay Area are changing to a strict work from home policy. Almost all companies weeks ago went to a no travel policy. We have seen many events cancelled. There is talk about playing March Madness in empty stadiums, postponing the olympics, etc etc. None of these sports are more intimate than billiards. Shared equipment always gets pretty nasty toward the end of 2 weeks. Coronavirus can reportedly live on surfaces for up to 9 days.

I contacted Lisa at CSI and they share no concerns about the coronavirus. She in fact compared it to sexual harassment in an offhand joking way. They are sticking with their strict no refunds policy after February 21 regardless of any circumstances.
I basically donate my money when I attend this event yearly for the last 8+ years. I don't think I want to donate with out being able to attend. Does anyone else share concerns about attending this event?

edit: adding link to event. https://www.playcsipool.com/2020-bcapl-world-championships.html

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I contacted Lisa at CSI and they share no concerns about the coronavirus. She in fact compared it to sexual harassment in an offhand joking way. They are sticking with their strict no refunds policy after February 21 regardless of any circumstances.
That is ridiculous for her to turn this situation into some kind of joke, not least about sexual harassment.

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
......Most companies in the Bay Area are changing to a strict work from home policy. Almost all companies weeks ago went to a no travel policy....

edit: adding link to event. https://www.playcsipool.com/2020-bcapl-world championships.html

I’m not sure where you’re getting your information from, but it’s not good to spread this type of information when it’s not true. I live and work in the Bay Area and have not heard of a single person who’s company has this policy. If your company does then just say that, but don’t make up stuff like this!!!!

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
Definitely not making this up. https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...rus-is-forcing-techies-to-work-from-home-some

There is of course more current info available in a google search.

So you read an article and then get to interpret it the way you see it??? It said tech companies and you turn it into most companies?? Go ahead and make up information. This is the problem with people spreading false information. Most companies aren’t doing work from home because most companies can’t run that way. Oh and it also talked about companies as far away as Ireland.

markusca

Registered
No I didn't read an article I actually live in sf. Work in the tech industry and know people in many companies. They are mostly all advised to not travel. Many are being told to work at home. I just didn't figure I needed to spell it out with specifics. Its not even the detail of this post. Are you intentionally trying to change the subject?

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you read an article and then get to interpret it the way you see it??? It said tech companies and you turn it into most companies?? Go ahead and make up information. This is the problem with people spreading false information. Most companies aren’t doing work from home because most companies can’t run that way. Oh and it also talked about companies as far away as Ireland.

F facts.

LOL

:D

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I had a heart condition that I am just now starting to feel closer to 100%. My Dr. advises that I don't attend events like this because of the current risks and provided me with a note stating that. https://www.playcsipool.com/2020-bcapl-world-championships.html

I am in the travel business, booking meetings and events. In my opinion, if a medical condition supported by a doctor's letter prevents attendance, the customer should be refunded or re-accommodated as much as possible. I have gone to bat for many of my customers under such circumstances and found the vendors to be sympathetic to appeals.

However, if you're canceling because of some vague apprehension about catching a virus, let's face it, that's on you. Consider it an investment in the not-risking-your-life lottery. And I would advise no visits to Walmart, the pool hall, the bowling alley, restaurants, parties or anywhere other people are or people who have been exposed to other people are including family and friends who might irresponsibly frequent such places.

We've got to have common sense folks. Don't let fear take over your sensibilities.

Last edited:

markusca

Registered
I am in the travel business, booking meetings and events. In my opinion, if a medical condition supported by a doctor's letter prevents attendance, the customer should be refunded or re-accommodated as much as possible. I have gone to bat for many of my customers under such circumstances and found the vendors to be sympathetic to appeals.

However, if you're canceling because of some vague apprehension about catching a virus, let's face it, that's on you. Consider it an investment in the not risking your life lottery. And I would advise no visits to Walmart, the pool hall, the bowling alley, parties or anywhere other people are or people who have been exposed to other people.

We've got to have common sense folks.

Thats fair I agree with the vague apprehension. Billiards in general is a good breeding ground and we have seen a rise exponentially in the last 2 days. By next Wednesday its possible its at pandemic level. If you have any health concerns its not just a little sniffle. Everyone should feel free to make their own choices about what risks they want to take. CSI seems to care less about any risks based on their comments in emails to me and plan to continue the event regardless of any health concerns.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
At some point the money you sent has already been spent on your behalf and could be difficult to refund. They need to cut it off somewhere.

It starts in like 4 days doesn't it? It's not like they can fill your spot and not to be unsympathetic but sometimes a bad turn of events costs money.

Sent from the future.

Last edited:

markusca

Registered
At some point the money you sent has already been spent on your behalf and could be difficult to refund. They need to cut it off somewhere.

Sent from the future.

If they already had drawn grids and set prize money I agree with you. They have not. Or at least they are not available to participants. So one more bye and an adjustment in prize money is hardly hard to refund.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
If they already had drawn grids and set prize money I agree with you. They have not. Or at least they are not available to participants. So one more bye and an adjustment in prize money is hardly hard to refund.
I know you just joined yesterday to bring this up but just so you know, not everyone will agree with your take on this.

Sent from the future.

markusca

Registered
I know you just joined yesterday to bring this up but just so you know, not everyone will agree with your take on this.

Sent from the future.

Actually I just started this account today. I have another account sfmissionmark but it wouldn't allow me to post to the forum for whatever reason it said disabled. But you are correct its a new account.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Thats fair I agree with the vague apprehension. Billiards in general is a good breeding ground and we have seen a rise exponentially in the last 2 days. By next Wednesday its possible its at pandemic level. If you have any health concerns its not just a little sniffle. Everyone should feel free to make their own choices about what risks they want to take. CSI seems to care less about any risks based on their comments in emails to me and plan to continue the event regardless of any health concerns.

They shouldn't cancel the event unless there are so many people dropping out that it makes the event impossible to produce. It's not just their decision - they have contracts with huge performance clauses and so forth. The clauses don't allow cancellation due to vague apprehension of becoming ill. That's the way business works. Rationally you are at no greater risk being in Las Vegas than you are being in San Francisco.

markusca

Registered
They shouldn't cancel the event unless there are so many people dropping out that it makes the event impossible to produce. It's not just their decision - they have contracts with huge performance clauses and so forth. The clauses don't allow cancellation due to vague apprehension of becoming ill. That's the way business works. Rationally you are at no greater risk being in Las Vegas than you are being in San Francisco.

Nobody is dropping out because they won't allow them to drop out. I am sure my name is still listed in the players list just like everyone else that paid.

Of course I am probably at greater risk in SF than I am in Vegas. But spreading whatever everyone has across the entire country seems like something that should be avoided. I am in fact limiting where I play pool. Since I am not at 100% because of health issues for the last 2 years I have more reason then some to avoid unnecessary situations. It turns out it's a good time to stay at my home table and make some changes to my game. I wanted to do that anyway this gives me that excuse.

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
Nobody is dropping out because they won't allow them to drop out. I am sure my name is still listed in the players list just like everyone else that paid.

Of course I am probably at greater risk in SF than I am in Vegas. But spreading whatever everyone has across the entire country seems like something that should be avoided. I am in fact limiting where I play pool. Since I am not at 100% because of health issues for the last 2 years I have more reason then some to avoid unnecessary situations. It turns out it's a good time to stay at my home table and make some changes to my game. I wanted to do that anyway this gives me that excuse.

You should just quarantine yourself because San Francisco is so bad right now. Just keep making things up in your head. That’s going to get you through this.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What????

"vague apprehension''?? There are vents all over the nation being cancelled and there are some companies reducing and eliminating travel requirements, mine included.

There is nothing vague about this, it is legitimate concern of any forward thinking person regardless of the conclusion one comes to.

Unlike many sports there is no way to avoid high levels of contact in pool. Should they cancel the event..,

If they did it would be understandable and the reason would be for from vague.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I am in fact limiting where I play pool. Since I am not at 100% because of health issues for the last 2 years I have more reason then some to avoid unnecessary situations. It turns out it's a good time to stay at my home table and make some changes to my game. I wanted to do that anyway this gives me that excuse.

Mark,

If people are really that fearful, trust me they will cancel.

If your health issues have been going on for two years, you realistically shouldn't have signed up or at least not expect to get a refund under the circumstances. In any case, take your medicine, lose some money and cancel. Or go. I don't see that you're in the right on this issue.

My wife also has heart issues - I am the one who is fearful and wants her to not participate in things, but she is 100% gung ho. We were in the ER 3 times last week for cardioversion with severe AFIB attacks (she had catheter ablation 3 years ago and the AFIB just flared up now) yet she wants to continue with our travel plans for a Las Vegas golf outing in two weeks, Spain trip in May and Israel in August. I would gladly lose money rather than put her in unnecessary danger. She is a courageous woman and she puts me to shame.

Chris

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
"vague apprehension''?? There are vents all over the nation being cancelled and there are some companies reducing and eliminating travel requirements, mine included.

There is nothing vague about this, it is legitimate concern of any forward thinking person regardless of the conclusion one comes to.

Unlike many sports there is no way to avoid high levels of contact in pool. Should they cancel the event..,

If they did it would be understandable and the reason would be for from vague.

You can't hide from people or a virus. Millions and millions of people in and traveling through Las Vegas and no confirmed cases. And people touch stuff everywhere, every day, the same stuff. Canceling a trip to Las Vegas for fear of catching the virus would indeed be a vague apprehension. I applaud the efforts to fight the disease, unfortunately fighting the fear is not possible.

Last edited: