Grip for a pool cue butt

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like watching the filipino players a lot and try to mimick their style of playing. Bustamante has a very light grip and he just lets his wrist relax throughout the stroke. When I do this the butt slips through my fingers. Is there any way to make the thread on your butt stickier (you know kinda like a wrapless cue)? Spray or somehting?

Thank you!

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like watching the filipino players a lot and try to mimick their style of playing. Bustamante has a very light grip and he just lets his wrist relax throughout the stroke. When I do this the butt slips through my fingers. Is there any way to make the thread on your butt stickier (you know kinda like a wrapless cue)? Spray or somehting?

Thank you!

Why? Bustamante doesnt spray sticky stuff on his cue.

The best advice I can give you is to stop trying to emulate others, or track down the model of cue they play with.

Work on your own game, that coincides with your own physical attributes, and admire their game from afar.

34YearsOfPlayin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why? Bustamante doesnt spray sticky stuff on his cue.

The best advice I can give you is to stop trying to emulate others, or track down the model of cue they play with.

Work on your own game, that coincides with your own physical attributes, and admire their game from afar.

You are right. Trying to emulate players is wrong. I shouldn't do it. How do you go about learning the game?

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a 3-Cushion rubber sleeve for your cue. Trey are about $5-$10, and are the stickiest thing you can add to a cue. I played with them for a couple of years a decade ago.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you!
Just learn the slip stroke, sounds like you are partially there :thumbup:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
#!- Don't emulate other strokes- find your own comfort zone

#2- constantly pulling a rubber sleeve on and off a wrapped cue is not a good idea for the wrap and cue

#3- if you wrap wax paper around the linen wrap and rub/rotate in a circular direction AROUND not up and DOWN the wrap it will be tackier- but it will only last one pool session and need to be repeated each time you go out to play.

#4 sell this cue and buy a wrapless cue

#5- See #1!!

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like watching the filipino players a lot and try to mimick their style of playing. Bustamante has a very light grip and he just lets his wrist relax throughout the stroke. When I do this the butt slips through my fingers. Is there any way to make the thread on your butt stickier (you know kinda like a wrapless cue)? Spray or something?

Thank you!

Mimic whoever you want but do not mimic Bustamante haha, he’s an unorthodox player who does everything out of the ordinary, and will not help you for your game.

I would suggest holding the grip firm, the loose grip isn’t good in my opinion and you need to play like 20 yrs to get good with, I don’t want to talk bad about busty but even him wasn’t as good as he is today when younger, he didn’t win that many trophies in his younger years, I believe that busty game became better as he aged and I’m willing to bet that he is today playing his best game, but look at how many years he been playing right? Which supports what I’ve claimed here that you need more than 20 years to become good with that unorthodox style and grip.

But hey, do whatever you want ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My gf told me yesterday her parents don’t like to hear her play the piano because she makes too many mistakes. I told her to tell them it’s their fault for not giving her the ability to play the piano when she was born:)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It goes on like a condom, if your cue fits snug in your case, take it off before you put your cue away. If not, you'll ruin your case trying to get your cue out. I witnessed this and it was an expensive case.

Yep, I've seen it too! Saw two guys try to get the cue out. One guy held the case, other guy pulled and twisted the cue. It took them 15 minutes at least. They somehow got it out without breaking the cue or case. But the counter was all watching, and we all thought the cue was going to snap.

If you go the rubber sleeve route, consider a cheap soft case with a huge sleeve. That is what I used, and the butt goes in and out effortlessly, with the rubber sleeve on.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or, use a 2nd glove.

Honestly, if you mimic anyone mimic Earl Strickland. Many followed his roll with extensions, and if you look at him now, he's using 2 gloves sometimes. It might be better to not have any adhesive material on the butt, but to use various gloves. Also, if you haven't noticed, a lot of players take off the glove to reduce friction for jump and masse shots already.... so maybe just leave the stick as slick as possible.

I guess I should mention that I don't use a wrap of any kind and find wraps too inconsistent across materials to even bother, although I use gloves currently on the bridge hand (I don't use them on the butt hand, but I haven't really given them a chance).

Last edited:

Gatto138

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Wilson said hundreds of players have quit playing pool entirely behind trying to emulate Django’s stroke. So yah, just don’t do it. Emulate a snooker players stance and stroke, just enjoy watching the Filipinos

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when i designed the original deano cue
i wanted to make the butt not clamy ,sticky like most sneaky petes

so i had it finished with tung oil as opposed to spray

theis allowed the butt to stay slick

my personal one got super slick

you might find more straight answers in the ask the cue maker section

if you do get a straight answer please let me know

i have had some irish linen that I love that is slick

with leather the hard black smooth pleases me most

i personally don;'t like my back hand to get attacked or stuck

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you!

I tried to play like a Filipino player when I first learned to play. Was a really bad idea, I got stuck at a low B level till I started to work on mechanics better without being all loose and wristy. Jumped up a few balls in about a year of re-learning to shoot once I gave up on trying to look like Efren. You just need to practice more so your muscles remember how to hold the cue the way you want. If you are holding it so light it slips through your fingers, that is too light or you are not ready to use this technique yet through needing more practice. It's basically a slip stroke which is pretty hard to master.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are right. Trying to emulate players is wrong. I shouldn't do it. How do you go about learning the game?

Emulate what the cue ball is doing, not what they are doing. Ain’t no short cutting in learning how to apply english. Time and efficiency of practice.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the reason most higher quality cues have a slippery Irish linen wrap, is because an overly tight grip upon ball contact likely causes a misdirection of stroke (?).
Maybe the harder it is to hold on to, the sooner you will accept the inevitable, and adopt a looser grip?