Playing with glasses..

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wear eye glasses. Last night I just happened to take off my glasses and play on my home table. I was amazed at how much more "table vision" I had. Longer shots were obviously blurry and made for aiming problems, but on a whole I felt it so much easier to see my shotline. Are there any theories to this? If this is a common question....sorry in advance. I'm a relatively new AZ member and I haven't seen a thread relating to this. Thanks in advance to any info on this subject.

krelldog

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I haven't heard that one before. Perhaps it has something to do with having uninterrupted peripheral vision. If so, you might REALLY benefit from contacts or lasix.

I can't imagine it would help me. I'm so nearsighted it would be like playing 3C because I'd only be able to see about three balls and no pockets. :D

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wear eye glasses. Last night I just happened to take off my glasses and play on my home table. I was amazed at how much more "table vision" I had. Longer shots were obviously blurry and made for aiming problems, but on a whole I felt it so much easier to see my shotline. Are there any theories to this? If this is a common question....sorry in advance. I'm a relatively new AZ member and I haven't seen a thread relating to this. Thanks in advance to any info on this subject.

krelldog

Everything works till you are under pressure. You would have to play for real and see what happens.

xtrmbrdr

Registered
I can see short distances fine but anything over a few feet is a problem. So I tried to wear my glasses playing pool and it just does not work. I end up looking above my glasses for the long shots (where I need help) and looking through my glasses for short shots (where I don't need the help). So I've just decided to not wear them and try to get use to the shot distance. I play better without my glasses, which I really never wear anyway, but that isn't saying much.

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses. I was really curious as to what other players who wear glasses have experienced. I called and found out through my vision insurance I can get an eye exam and contacts for basically nothing. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

krelldog

pocketpared

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wear glasses..

I wear glasses but this is about a friend. He wears contact lenses and told me when he tried playing pool with glasses the front of his thighs would actually get bruised from bumping into the table. Glasses greatly reduce depth perception. Contact lenses, because they sit directly on your eye, offer much better depth perception. This may explain in part what you noticed.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Very nearsighted here. 20-400 in both eyes. Everything beyond 14" is very fuzzy. I'm well aware that my prescription makes things look farther away, kind of a wide angle lens effect.

Don't have a clue of what to do about it, beyond eye surgery...

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wear glasses but this is about a friend. He wears contact lenses and told me when he tried playing pool with glasses the front of his thighs would actually get bruised from bumping into the table. QUOTE]

When I play, the back of my thighs end up getting bruised .... I gotta stop gambling with people better than me!

muddawg

Chill Out
Silver Member
I wear glasses when I play and have no problem, but maybe it's because I've always played with glasses.

Rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never wore glasses, when i did it was only readers. A few years go by then I needed something for close distances as well enhanced far vision. I bought a pair of decot glasses thinking it could be the answer.

I never felt so closed in, in my life. It was way to restrictive for me. I switched to contacts and that was the answer until I developed cataracts. I had IOL's put in and do not need contacts.

I think contacts are the best solution if you do not have dry eye problems. That along with not having a problem with putting them in or taking them out. If I had to I'd go back to contacts or nothing at all. I hate glasses! LOL

Rod

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always had glasses. I tried contacts and they worked great when I was down lining up my shot. I always had to push up my glasses as they would slide down a little every once in a while. Though I could see the edge of the ball with my contacts, I felt like there was something wrong with my depth perception when shooting with contacts. I just stick with glasses and make sure to clean them regularly so that they don't slip.

I've considered lasik, but I'm still skeptical as I have family members that have had problems with lasik.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Krelldog,

It sounds like you have light to mild myopia. As others pointed out, glasses do limit your peripheral (side) vision, whereas contacts don't. The headache and perception problem (bumping and objects appear closer) can happen when you switch right away between contacts and glasses. Your eyes have gotten used to one set of prescription, and now trying to focus/adapt to another when you switch. To minimize that issue, I usually decide in the morning right after I wake up whether start the day wearing glasses or stay with glasses to avoid this issue.

With a 14" focal point, I'm guessing your prescription is around -2.75. Contact lens usually come in increments of .5 whereas glasses can be finer tuned to .25. If you don't suffer from astigmatism, I suggest going with daily wear disposables. I read a report years ago that daily wear and regular came off the same line, and only difference was the price and the label.

If you have access to Costco, you can get your eyes examined and take home a prescription for both eye glasses and contacts for $55.

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nearsighted here. 20-400 in both eyes. Everything beyond 14" is very fuzzy. I'm well aware that my prescription makes things look farther away, kind of a wide angle lens effect.

Don't have a clue of what to do about it, beyond eye surgery...

That was where my eyes were before surgery.

Ken

z28flash

switched to glasses, took some time but better now

Due to missing long shots, as I couldn't really tell what part of the fuzziness to hit, I requested glasses from my optometrist....I usually need reading glasses, but my distance has dwindled some as well. The first night I shot pool, which was for about 3 hours, I had quite a few issues with the glasses. I always seemed to be looking over the top on them, so the ridge was bothering me, and as mentioned, I seemed to lose a little of the periphery vision for long angle shots. Wanted to just give them up. However, I pushed the nose bridge supports closer together, and now the glasses sit up just enough I can see through them. I think your eyes/mind need to have a period of time to readjust, as now I can see the angle lines fine. In fact, I make many more thin long cuts now since the object ball is much more distinct. Try a few adjustments, give yourself a few times shooting, and I think you'll find the benefits will begin to show up. It is a little strange at first, but part of the problem, in my opinion, is that your brain isn't used to seeing objects so clearly, so it's a little mystified until that type of sight becomes normal.

Robroy

Robin Dodson
Silver Member
Thanks for the responses. I was really curious as to what other players who wear glasses have experienced. I called and found out through my vision insurance I can get an eye exam and contacts for basically nothing. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

krelldog

I wear glasses all the time now. I just started getting the itch to shoot again an 8 year lay off. But I know I won't be able to shoot with glasses, contacts might work for me too....I think I'll look into that, cool.

Themurph

Pool Junkie
playing with glasses

i started wearing contacts about a month ago it has help my game out the only thing i did noticed that when i first started wearing them i lived in a area were you could smoke in the local pool hall was having lots of issues with dry eye and the smoke bothering my vision i just recently moved to washington state were you cant smoke anywhere since then i havent had any issues i would suggest lasixs if you qualify removes glasses and contacts out of the picture if you go with contacts carry a spare set in your cue case and lotz of eye drops