Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Aiming Conversation
Reload this Page regardless of your system why are backcuts seemingly tougher
Page 3 of 5 123 45

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#31)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-05-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Cookie, we already know that you don't understand why these constant calls for videos and bets are senseless. You don't have to keep reminding us that you don't get it.

How about baseball bats toe to toe? Now that would settle things...

pj
chgo
Wasn't trying to settle anything. I just think the people would like to see you do it.
Whats the toe to toe thing?

Old
  (#32)
LAMas
AzB Silver Member
LAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-05-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementDweller View Post
I really have no idea what I just read here.
CP2CP aiming.

dumluk

Old
  (#33)
BLADE
AzB Silver Member
BLADE has a reputation beyond reputeBLADE has a reputation beyond reputeBLADE has a reputation beyond reputeBLADE has a reputation beyond reputeBLADE has a reputation beyond reputeBLADE has a reputation beyond reputeBLADE has a reputation beyond reputeBLADE has a reputation beyond reputeBLADE has a reputation beyond reputeBLADE has a reputation beyond reputeBLADE has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2015, 01:38 PM

CTE/ Pro One eliminates this issue as it gets the shooters eyes perfect for any and all shots.

No such animal !
Old
  (#34)
Yoda4962
North Texas
Yoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond reputeYoda4962 has a reputation beyond repute

No such animal ! - 03-05-2015, 01:56 PM

There is no such thing as a 'back' cut. !

There are left cuts and right cuts. This is why you fail !

Texas Player

Old
  (#35)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLADE View Post
CTE/ Pro One eliminates this issue as it gets the shooters eyes perfect for any and all shots.
I hear the same thing about ghost ball, double overlap, parallel lines, bottom of ball, back of ball, shadows, lights, contact point to contact point, etc., etc., even aiming simply "by feel".

pj <- depends who you ask, I guess
chgo

Old
  (#36)
ENGLISH!
Banned
ENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger583 View Post
I think the back-cuts that make me nervous are the thin ones. If the cut's already thin, chickening out, and hitting it too thick (something that already happens on thin cuts in general), is more punishing because of contact induced throw. Also it usually involves the cue-ball running a little wild afterwards.
Tony,

TOI works great for thin shots & especially for long thin shots as well as thin back cuts.

To me one of the reasons is that you are aligned thick & using the squirt to get thinner. That requires a stroke. So 'chickening out' is sort of out of the picture. You know you can't hit it where you're aligned so you have to commit to getting the ball farther out. If anything, for me there is a slight tendency to overcut.

Best 2 Ya,
Rick

Old
  (#37)
336Robin
aimisthegameinpool.com
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Just to clarify:

Sliding part way doesn't have any effect on the amount of transferred spin/throw unless the CB doesn't get fully rolling by the time it hits the OB. If it's not fully rolling at contact, then the amount of throw/transferred spin will be greater. If it is fully rolling, the amount will be less.

In fact, I think rolling vs. not rolling makes more of a difference than fast vs. slow (but I'm not certain of that). Rolling+fast produces the least throw/transferred spin and sliding(stun)+slow produces the most. All other combinations are somewhere between (and cut angle matters too).

pj
chgo
I agree PJ. I was actually referring the object ball itself after contact with the cue ball and probably a barely rolling one most likely, I would guess that I wasn't clear. I agree that the non rolling cue ball imparts more cling and resulting spin as I use that in banks quite often.

What I have noticed in banks is that the correction tends to take effect on the shot cross corners at around the last diamond and half or so of travel when you have to warp some English on the shot on a Passover.

Your statement is correct.

"Let your "Stick" do the talking!"

336Robin
"Improve your shot making forever for $3.99!"

The Target Ball Concept-Aiming,
The Flight of the Cue Ball-Aiming Adjusted for Side Spin,
Robbing the Bank Shot!-Pass Over Banking
Change your game for a couple of Bucks! and
Comes with a lesson!

Old
  (#38)
duckie
GregH
duckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond reputeduckie has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
regardless of your system why are backcuts seemingly tougher
your thoughts appreciated.....
(any tips to make them appreciated...)
This is one of those times a picture would be helpful.

It is also amazing there are those making statements on why you can miss them....IE can't see the pocket.....without ever seeing the ball layout on the table. Are those implying that there are no back cuts....whatever that means..... where you can see the pocket?

Pool is about vision, seeing the shot. How can you discuss a type of shot without seeing the shot?

Freaking amazing.

Oh, without seeing the shot, I can tell ya why you miss them......you are not a proponent of HAMB.....meaning you need to practice better.

And yes it is that simple.....practice better.

Old
  (#39)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckie View Post
Are those implying that there are no back cuts....whatever that means..... where you can see the pocket?
It means cuts where you can't (or almost can't) see the pocket.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#40)
ENGLISH!
Banned
ENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckie View Post
This is one of those times a picture would be helpful.

It is also amazing there are those making statements on why you can miss them....IE can't see the pocket.....without ever seeing the ball layout on the table. Are those implying that there are no back cuts....whatever that means..... where you can see the pocket?

Pool is about vision, seeing the shot. How can you discuss a type of shot without seeing the shot?

Freaking amazing.

Oh, without seeing the shot, I can tell ya why you miss them......you are not a proponent of HAMB.....meaning you need to practice better.

And yes it is that simple.....practice better.
Greg,

Many of us that have been playing for a long time knew exactly what type of shot of which bbb/Larry was speaking.

It's not one specific shot but a whole array of a type of shots that are similar.

I find it a bit difficult to believe that you would need to see a picture to understand what type of shot of which Larry was speaking.

If he was talking about one particular specific shot then perhaps a picture might be helpful or 'required' but not for a general type of shot.

IMHO, You've changed over the last few months.

Best 2 You & Yours,
Rick

Last edited by ENGLISH!; 03-05-2015 at 06:05 PM.

Old
  (#41)
SmoothStroke
AzB Silver Member
SmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond reputeSmoothStroke has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda4962 View Post

Formerly known as a blind pocket shot.

Old
  (#42)
jburkm002
AzB Silver Member
jburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2015, 07:32 PM

Just last night I was setting up some back cuts. I tried TOI just for the heck of it. Object ball and cue about 6ft apart. Object ball was maybe a foot off the rail center diamond. Cue ball about a foot off the rail, center diamond. Wasn't aiming exactly center object ball but close. Just played about 1 1'2 to 2 tips of inside english. Dang if I wasn't cutting it in. Granted I would never trust this method myself except in practice but it was working last night.

Old
  (#43)
LAMas
AzB Silver Member
LAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond repute

03-05-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda4962 View Post

That's how I see it.
The concept is not beneficial.

dumluk

Old
  (#44)
ENGLISH!
Banned

03-05-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburkm002 View Post
Just last night I was setting up some back cuts. I tried TOI just for the heck of it. Object ball and cue about 6ft apart. Object ball was maybe a foot off the rail center diamond. Cue ball about a foot off the rail, center diamond. Wasn't aiming exactly center object ball but close. Just played about 1 1'2 to 2 tips of inside english. Dang if I wasn't cutting it in. Granted I would never trust this method myself except in practice but it was working last night.
I've cut them in when the OB is nearly on the short rail & 3 diamonds from the corner on the other side of the table with the CB 'all' the way on the other end of the table & basically parallel but the better angle is to the long corner if you know what I mean. For those the alignment is CTE & with that I've overcut them. So... I changed the alignment to Center of CB to the outside 1/4 of the OB. It's been working very very well. One just has to hit firm enough to keep any swerve out of the picture.

Keep hitting & making them in practice & soon you'll be using it when it counts.

Best 2 You...& All,
Rick

Old
  (#45)
LAMas
AzB Silver Member

03-05-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburkm002 View Post
1 1/2 to 2 tips of inside might be a large range. If anyone attempts that shot, the results depends on the deflection of the shooter's shaft. After several successful makes, he should find the exact tip offset that works for him.

Try it and like it.
Be well.

dumluk

Page 3 of 5 123 45

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: