cutting veneers
Old
  (#1)
billl67
AzB Silver Member
billl67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

cutting veneers - 10-16-2016, 11:39 AM

would like to 45 my veneers on a craftsman router table. has anyone had any luck with this?

Old
  (#2)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

10-16-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl67 View Post
would like to 45 my veneers on a craftsman router table. has anyone had any luck with this?
Hi Bill
It can be done. I know someone who uses a router table for this. I did my first miters using a flush cut router. If you can imagine and define it, You can do it.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Cutting veneers
Old
  (#3)
billl67
AzB Silver Member
billl67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond reputebilll67 has a reputation beyond repute

Cutting veneers - 10-16-2016, 02:34 PM

Thank you mike

Old
  (#4)
Destroyer125
Banned
Destroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to Destroyer125  
10-17-2016, 01:19 PM

If you have enough room to move your fence 2" back from where your bit sticks out, you can use my table saw jig. You would need a 90 degree drill point end mill. Would also be good to make a seperate fence to make sure it has no side movement while pushing it through.

quality
Old
  (#5)
Nuts4Tascarellas
AzB Silver Member
Nuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond reputeNuts4Tascarellas has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

quality - 10-17-2016, 04:08 PM

Destroyer makes some great stuff. Can't go wrong choosing this.

I don't talk while I play... the only English I speak is left, right, top, and bottom. ~Brad Hamel~

Cutting veneers
Old
  (#6)
billl67
AzB Silver Member

Cutting veneers - 10-18-2016, 04:06 PM

Would really appreciate if you had any pics of veneers cut on a 45 with this method. Btw great choice in pool cues nuts 4 tascarella, they're my favorite cues made by two great craftsman

Old
  (#7)
sileighty_guru
5A Grade Wood Pecker
sileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2016, 05:47 AM

Well here is a similar setup that I setup last year that has worked wonders for me... similar to Destroyers setup for a table saw. 3/4" MDF and a few pieces of hardware + a digital angle finder (magnetic) to find true 45 degrees.

Veneers get pressed... (I was using up some strips here which I got from a lot I purchased, I use larger sheets now and cut them to strips after gluing)

First set of cuts was to knock off the squeeze-out epoxy 90 degree blade setting (this allows the jig to sit flush on the fence)

Once they are squared up they can sit flush to cut the 45's (I can fit 2 strips on each side of the jig, 4 points worth of veneers)

This works for me currently with the results listed in the next post... I am in the process of setting up my CNC so will be using that in the future.

Old
  (#8)
sileighty_guru
5A Grade Wood Pecker
sileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond reputesileighty_guru has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2016, 05:52 AM

And the results...

Old
  (#9)
sileighty_guru
5A Grade Wood Pecker

10-19-2016, 06:17 AM

But as for router table I don't see why you wouldn't be able to adopt the same method! you will want to make sure that it is ground to 45 aka 90 degree bit... most are off a degree or more from 90. Many ways to skin a cat

Old
  (#10)
Dirtbmw20
Lee Casto
Dirtbmw20 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtbmw20 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtbmw20 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtbmw20 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtbmw20 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtbmw20 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtbmw20 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtbmw20 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtbmw20 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtbmw20 has a reputation beyond reputeDirtbmw20 has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sileighty_guru View Post
Well here is a similar setup that I setup last year that has worked wonders for me... similar to Destroyers setup for a table saw. 3/4" MDF and a few pieces of hardware + a digital angle finder (magnetic) to find true 45 degrees.

Veneers get pressed... (I was using up some strips here which I got from a lot I purchased, I use larger sheets now and cut them to strips after gluing)

First set of cuts was to knock off the squeeze-out epoxy 90 degree blade setting (this allows the jig to sit flush on the fence)

Once they are squared up they can sit flush to cut the 45's (I can fit 2 strips on each side of the jig, 4 points worth of veneers)

This works for me currently with the results listed in the next post... I am in the process of setting up my CNC so will be using that in the future.

That's a bad ass setup. Wish we was closer so I could see that in person. Might have to try something like this after the first of the year with my table saw.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Lee Casto
EMAIL - Dirtbmw20@knology.net
Playing Cue - 2011 Tom Coker
Break Cue - Jacoby Viper

Cutting veneers
Old
  (#11)
billl67
AzB Silver Member

Cutting veneers - 10-19-2016, 05:42 PM

Guru, thank you for taking the time to show me that set up. That's definitely the direction that I would like to go. I don't understand the step in the point in one of the pictures on your blank thank you again

Old
  (#12)
sileighty_guru
5A Grade Wood Pecker

10-20-2016, 06:08 AM

No steps in the points... I am assuming your referring to the stepped core? Core is thicker on the joint end to add stability.

cutting veneers
Old
  (#13)
billl67
AzB Silver Member

cutting veneers - 10-20-2016, 02:57 PM

Thank you thats what I thought it was.

Old
  (#14)
Destroyer125
Banned
Destroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond reputeDestroyer125 has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to Destroyer125  
10-24-2016, 07:16 AM

Cutting veneers with the jig will achieve results similar to this.

Old
  (#15)
MikieG
AzB Silver Member
MikieG has a reputation beyond reputeMikieG has a reputation beyond reputeMikieG has a reputation beyond reputeMikieG has a reputation beyond reputeMikieG has a reputation beyond reputeMikieG has a reputation beyond reputeMikieG has a reputation beyond reputeMikieG has a reputation beyond reputeMikieG has a reputation beyond reputeMikieG has a reputation beyond reputeMikieG has a reputation beyond repute

10-29-2016, 07:28 PM

Those look great! I made a 45 degree "rest" on my belt sander and ground my miters. I really like the way you do it. Nice tight miters are a mark of fine hand crafted cues.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: