Old
  (#31)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-31-2019, 12:07 PM

I assume the US Open name refers to his favorite "Us Weekly Magazine"?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old
  (#32)
skogstokig
AzB Silver Member
skogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-31-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
I think it's fair to say that he does some things that rub people the wrong way, socially. I think he's socially a bit awkward, maybe doesn't know how to handle certain situations. That's true for a lot of people. He happens to be in the limelight, as small as it is relatively speaking.

I don't think he's anywhere near "disgrace to the game" or anything like that. He's the hottest player on the planet. But, he does do some things that someone with a little more social skills might not. He's not the worst of them, but he's not the best.
i have yet to see anything controversial in joshuas behaviour. maybe if i was american it would be easier, cuz that's probably the main issue here

Joshua Filler !!!
Old
  (#33)
stockbob55
AzB Bronze Member
stockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond repute

Joshua Filler !!! - 08-31-2019, 12:22 PM

In order for Joshua to be a great player, which he most certainly is, it is necessary for him to believe in himself 100% and to play and behave accordingly.

I have only seen him play and be interviewed by the media, he is always as modest as possible and very generous about the skills of his opponents.

He has done what we all wish we could have done.

How could you possibly find anything wrong with this 21 year old young boy???

Last edited by stockbob55; 08-31-2019 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Old
  (#34)
jokrswylde
AzB Silver Member
jokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond repute

08-31-2019, 12:31 PM

The OP went fishin', and caught a boatload. Come on guys, yall know better than to feed the trolls....

Old
  (#35)
stockbob55
AzB Bronze Member
stockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond repute

08-31-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokrswylde View Post
The OP went fishin', and caught a boatload. Come on guys, yall know better than to feed the trolls....
Yes you could be correct but a lot of people have a hair up their ass about this kid.

Old
  (#36)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

08-31-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogstokig View Post
i have yet to see anything controversial in joshuas behaviour. maybe if i was american it would be easier, cuz that's probably the main issue here
I doubt it. Personally I liked banastre tarleton’s style. I can appreciate extreme behavior, regardless of nationality. Some people can’t no matter where they’re from.

Old
  (#37)
sparkle84
AzB Silver Member
sparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond repute

08-31-2019, 04:08 PM

I saw him play 4-5 years ago in the 14.1 tournament at Steinway. Though talented he was very wild at the time. He's improved in that aspect yet still has a tendency to rely on great shotmaking to recover from less than ideal decisions and position routes.
Of course all great players do that from time to time.
IMO he's at his peak right now. I'd be surprised if he has the same success 2-3 years from now. Most likely will be a victim of too much success too soon and will succumb to Buddy Halls old saying.... Just wait til that boy gets a little fear in him.
Right now however, he's awful tough to beat.

Old
  (#38)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
08-31-2019, 04:50 PM

Yeah, plenty of examples

Tuff to stay on the top of the hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle84 View Post
I saw him play 4-5 years ago in the 14.1 tournament at Steinway. Though talented he was very wild at the time. He's improved in that aspect yet still has a tendency to rely on great shotmaking to recover from less than ideal decisions and position routes.
Of course all great players do that from time to time.
IMO he's at his peak right now. I'd be surprised if he has the same success 2-3 years from now. Most likely will be a victim of too much success too soon and will succumb to Buddy Halls old saying.... Just wait til that boy gets a little fear in him.
Right now however, he's awful tough to beat.

Old
  (#39)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

08-31-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle84 View Post
Mizerak used to say of young phenoms "too young to know about pressure."

… but my guess is we've yet to see the best of Filler.

Old
  (#40)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

08-31-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Mizerak used to say of young phenoms "too young to know about pressure."

… but my guess is we've yet to see the best of Filler.
Zero doubt in my mind , he checks all the boxes , heck didn't he have the highest 14-1 run at the DCC , and has said that's his favorite game , and he's knocking down some of the biggest rotation titles and just hit drinking age ,

Old
  (#41)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-31-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skogstokig View Post
i have yet to see anything controversial
I find this hilarious. I was pretty kind about it. Total denial makes the knowledgeable dismiss you.

When Wu accidentally fouled by touching a ball on the final game of the US Open after such an amazing back and forth, and Josh ran out for the win, socially adept players would first shake Wu’s hand, tell him that it was unfortunate, console him (think Ronnie O’Sulliivan), and then celebrate. Instead, he pumped his fist and screamed out as if the last rack was a hard-earned dog fight. It was handed to him.

If you think that his behavior was only noticeable to an American, then this thread isn’t for you.

Freddie <~~~ SMH

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Last edited by Cornerman; 08-31-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Old
  (#42)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

08-31-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I find this hilarious. I was pretty kind about it. Total denial makes the knowledgeable dismiss you.

When Wu accidentally fouled by touching a ball on the final game of the US Open after such an amazing back and forth, and Josh ran out for the win, socially adept players would first shake Wu’s hand, tell him that it was unfortunate, console him (think Ronnie O’Sulliivan), and then celebrate. Instead, he pumped his fist and screamed out as if the last rack was a hard-earned dog fight. It was handed to him.

If you think that his behavior was only noticeable to an American, then this thread isn’t for you.

Freddie <~~~ SMH
Nothing was "handed" to him.

He's a kid and just won the us open, and it wouldn't have been the final game if Wu had won that rack.

Old
  (#43)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

08-31-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlaus View Post
Nothing was "handed" to him.

He's a kid and just won the us open, and it wouldn't have been the final game if Wu had won that rack.
Agreed. I'll take it one step further. Had he not fouled, he might well have missed that very shot, which was quite difficult jacked up.

By any reasonable standard, nothing was handed to him. Playing all ball fouls, Wu made an error and, thereby, denied himself a chance to pull off an amazing and unlikely comeback. Filler outplayed him in the final, which is why he needed an amazing comeback in the first place.

Freddie's right, though. Josh should have shaken Wu's hand immediately after making the nine, rather than burst into celebration, but he's still got a few things to learn at the age of 21. Still, to me, it was a misdemeanor, not a felony.

Last edited by sjm; 09-01-2019 at 07:08 AM.

Old
  (#44)
Scratch85
AzB Silver Member
Scratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond repute

08-31-2019, 09:45 PM

When I was 21, if I was the best rock thrower in my driveway, I was a jacked up arrogant ass. Willing to brag about my abilities to anyone who would listen. IMO, Filler is a world class champion with more than acceptable social skills. I am looking forward to watching him play for years.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#45)
skogstokig
AzB Silver Member
skogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond repute

08-31-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:

Freddie <~~~ SMH
well, this thread would hardly exist if he was from ohio

regarding the celebration, this is the way he is and has always been. he is extremely focused and intense for x number of days and when he wins it's a release of this tension. this focus is what makes him great so i can't blame him for it. appleton and mika does this too. it doesn't mean they are less polite, it's not even something they can control. people handle pressure in different ways.

so to me that is not controversial. controversial is rack-manipulating like orcullo or sharking like earl. i haven't seen anything like that from joshua, he relies solely on his ability to shoot pool

Page 3 of 8 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: