Shaft taper
Old
  (#1)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.

j2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Shaft taper - 09-24-2019, 09:26 AM

Hello Gents,
Would any of you happen to have any basic information, regarding Paul Dayton's shaft taper? Was it close to a Pro, Extended Pro, Modified Extended Pro, or Conical taper?
Thank you all sincerely in advance.
Best regards.
Joe P.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire - "What you are shouts so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear what you say." - R.W. Emerson -

TOMAHAWK FERRULE MATERIAL - NO CLICK, JUST BANG.

Last edited by j2pac; 09-25-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Old
  (#2)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.

j2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond reputej2pac has a reputation beyond repute

09-25-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2pac View Post
Hello Gents,
Would any of you happen to have any basic information, regarding Paul Dayton's shaft taper? Was it close to a Pro, Extended Pro, Modified Extended Pro, or Conical taper?
Best regards.
Joe P.
Redirected my thoughts on this, out of respect for Paul. Would just like some general information, or thoughts. If anyone could/would care to compare his taper to anything readily available today, it would be appreciated.
Thank you.
j2

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire - "What you are shouts so loudly in my ears, I cannot hear what you say." - R.W. Emerson -

Old
  (#3)
cuesblues
cue accumulator

cuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

09-25-2019, 09:22 AM

All I remember is I liked the playability of the two I had, and I'm pretty sure they were pro taper.

player.....Josswest, Gus Szamboti, Paul Drexler, Schon
player.....Keith Josey, Judd, Palmer, Ernie Martinez, Jensen
player.....Richard Black, Tim Scruggs
breaker...Judd Fuller
jumper....see breaker
shooter...Sig Sauer P226 357
cutter......Dan Harrison

Old
  (#4)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.

09-25-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuesblues View Post
All I remember is I liked the playability of the two I had, and I'm pretty sure they were pro taper.
Thank you Ted.

Old
  (#5)
JC
Needs Moderation

JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

10-02-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Hello Gents,
Best regards.
Joe P.
I have found all those "names" for tapers seem to mean little. I have a cue that I really liked the taper on the shaft made by Jack Madden.

So when I started making cues I measured it inch by inch and copied it. Not sure what you would call it other than I like it. Oddly many other don't. Thank you Jack. I still love my Madden cue and play with it frequently.

Get a hold of a Dayton and measure it is my advice.

No doubt I'm going to take heat for this honesty.

JC

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble
It's what you know that just ain't so

Old
  (#6)
j2pac
Marital Slow Learner.

10-02-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
I have found all those "names" for tapers seem to mean little. I have a cue that I really liked the taper on the shaft made by Jack Madden.

So when I started making cues I measured it inch by inch and copied it. Not sure what you would call it other than I like it. Oddly many other don't. Thank you Jack. I still love my Madden cue and play with it frequently.

Get a hold of a Dayton and measure it is my advice.

No doubt I'm going to take heat for this honesty.
Thank you for your post JC.
I honestly have no intention of copying, or having anyone else copy Paul's taper. It was just a passing thought. I have always heard very good things about the playability of Paul's cues, in particular his shaft taper, so I wondered if anyone had any insight, into just what made his cues/shafts so regarded. IF I were to buy a Dayton, I would play with it. Currently I have a custom that I really enjoy, and another, in progress.
Best regards.
Joe P

Old
  (#7)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

10-02-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your post JC.
I honestly have no intention of copying, or having anyone else copy Paul's taper. It was just a passing thought. I have always heard very good things about the playability of Paul's cues, in particular his shaft taper, so I wondered if anyone had any insight, into just what made his cues/shafts so regarded. IF I were to buy a Dayton, I would play with it. Currently I have a custom that I really enjoy, and another, in progress.
Best regards.
Joe P
Shaft taper is only one of the equations in the shafts' playing characteristics .
Some shafts would be whippy or soft with a 1.25mm taper to the middle .
Good shaft woods would be stiff to semi-stiff with that kind of taper .

I have some nice looking shafts here that I will never use. They are straight and white but are just too light and soft .

Imo, conventional kiln is better than vacuum kilned but that's a can of worms .

shafts
Old
  (#8)
Mcues
AzB Silver Member
Mcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

shafts - 10-02-2019, 04:37 PM

The hit on Paul's cues could be considered on the stiff side due to lots of things I rather not get into.

Mario

The trouble with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
Mcues3@aol.com

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: