No smiley
Old
  (#31)
Jimmorrison
AzB Silver Member
Jimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond reputeJimmorrison has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Wink No smiley - 10-17-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celophanewrap View Post
Perhaps it was a personal experience reference. What rules do you guys use?
Didnít get the smiley in there, so my post made it seem like I was offended, I wasnít. Every little spot around here has a Valley and sponsors at least one team. Only one vender and they are VNEA. Rules are posted on the wall. Never see what this place calls bar pool.

Old
  (#32)
onepocketron
AzB Silver Member
onepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2019, 03:34 AM

Back when I used to play in bars a lot (30-40 years ago), if you played a safety, you better be packing iron. For sure there is going to be some trouble.

Old
  (#33)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2019, 05:02 AM

Bar rules in Okla.-Kan(back when i bar-hopped): 1.You have to try to make a ball. 1A.NO safeties 2.Balls must go in "clean", can't touch another ball(unless called) or a rail(unless called). 3. If rule 1,1A, or 2 are violated: 1.Grab a cue(defensive weapon) 2.Produce a hidden pistol or 3.Run like hell out the door.

Old
  (#34)
erhino41
AzB Silver Member
erhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckzapper View Post
If you brush a rail with the object ball and still pocket it, you lose your turn because you didn't call the bank.
I've had many a discussion in bars concerning this. Pros play off the cushion down the long rail on tight diamonds almost as a rule. I have no problem calling it, as I will usually only hit the rail if I intend to hit he rail. I don't miss many on the under cut side.

I had one guy tell me that the pocket facing was part of the rail and had to be called. He said a good player should be able to play every shot cleanly into the pocket. I played every single shot off of the facing and called them all. After five racks and two turns at the table this guy had enough.

Nowadays I don't generally play strangers at bars. If I do, I ask them all the rules they play by before hand and use those rules no problem.

I don't have a table at home, yet. If I did I would use the bca rules I grew up playing, ball and pocket, bih, everything spots, eight on the break spots, no loss scratch on the eight, unless the eight is pocketed illegally. That last one is important. Someone with seven balls on the table can not win a game of eight ball.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Old
  (#35)
erhino41
AzB Silver Member
erhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond reputeerhino41 has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
I totally agree. When someone wants to play bar rules many times I'll ask, "what are those, can you show them to me or tell me where I can find them?".
If only there was a website that one could go to, the pool world would be saved.

All one can do is dream though.

Old
  (#36)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-18-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhino41 View Post
eight on the break spots, no loss scratch on the eight, unless the eight is pocketed illegally. That last one is important. Someone with seven balls on the table can not win a game of eight ball.

IMHO, it is a detriment to the game of pool to allow someone to win a game without possibly ever taking a shot (with the exception of the aforementioned illegally pocketed 8-ball).

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#37)
ABC353
Experienced Banger
ABC353 is on a distinguished road

10-18-2019, 07:12 AM

Bar rules are too open to argument. Call a carom off of one ball. It hits another ball it was married to. Did you go off one ball in the pocket or two?
Did it hit a rail or go right in?
Which ball went in the pocket first?
Any rule that can lead to an argument works best drunk in a bar for $10.
My favorite is playing ball in hand up until the 8, which of course has found its way into the kitchen and oops scratch.. now shoot at it from behind the line.
If I'm playing bar rules its because I'm somewhere with a table and want to hit balls around and if the other player wants to make up, inform me of the rules along the way that's cool man. C you next time.

Old
  (#38)
ChopStick
Unsane Poster
ChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-18-2019, 07:36 AM

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS BAR RULES.

There are the rules and there is some bullshit some half drunk non-playing loser nit made up to try and get another shot or avoid outright losing. It is also this same bunch of knuckle dragging mouth breathers that coined the term "slop" as in "oh you play slop do ya" when you point out that what they just said is not a rule and never has been. I used to carry a printout of the rules in my pocket back before we had phones to whip out and show these morons.

Case in point, I was in a bar tournament in Atlanta. I was winning easily. In the final match, I broke and ran 2 racks. At the end of the final rack, the 8 ball is frozen to my opponents ball at a perfect 45 degree angle 3 inches in front of the corner pocket. Perfect carom. No possible way to miss it from anywhere. If you touch it at all the ball goes. Cue ball is a foot away with a clear shot. I can cut it away from his ball and make it without moving his ball at all.

I call the 8 in the corner and the guy says you can't shoot that shot. 8 ball is touching my ball. 8 ball gots to go clean. The 8 ball is frozen to the ball from the break. I almost made it on the break.

I called tournament director over for a ruling. He scratched his head for a few minutes and said 8 balls got to go clean. I broke down my stick, told them I ain't doing this. There ain't no such rule. Well, nobody wanted to see me quit. There was a room full of people that wanted to see a legitimate end to the tournament. The director convinced me to stay and play it out. All I needed was the 8 ball to win the tournament.

What I did was a slow roll kick off the foot rail to the underside of the 8 ball. Froze to the 8 ball clicked his ball off the 8 to the rail. He is now frozen to back of the 8 ball in the jaws of the corner pocket. He made some ridiculous attempt at a kick that went no where. I shot the 8 ball off and collected my money.

Whenever I hear anyone use the term slop it raises a flag for me. Oh there you are. I know you.

Don't believe everything you think.

Old
  (#39)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopStick View Post
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS BAR RULES.

There are the rules and there is some bullshit some half drunk non-playing loser nit made up to try and get another shot or avoid outright losing. It is also this same bunch of knuckle dragging mouth breathers that coined the term "slop" as in "oh you play slop do ya" when you point out that what they just said is not a rule and never has been. I used to carry a printout of the rules in my pocket back before we had phones to whip out and show these morons.

Case in point, I was in a bar tournament in Atlanta. I was winning easily. In the final match, I broke and ran 2 racks. At the end of the final rack, the 8 ball is frozen to my opponents ball at a perfect 45 degree angle 3 inches in front of the corner pocket. Perfect carom. No possible way to miss it from anywhere. If you touch it at all the ball goes. Cue ball is a foot away with a clear shot. I can cut it away from his ball and make it without moving his ball at all.

I call the 8 in the corner and the guy says you can't shoot that shot. 8 ball is touching my ball. 8 ball gots to go clean. The 8 ball is frozen to the ball from the break. I almost made it on the break.

I called tournament director over for a ruling. He scratched his head for a few minutes and said 8 balls got to go clean. I broke down my stick, told them I ain't doing this. There ain't no such rule. Well, nobody wanted to see me quit. There was a room full of people that wanted to see a legitimate end to the tournament. The director convinced me to stay and play it out. All I needed was the 8 ball to win the tournament.

What I did was a slow roll kick off the foot rail to the underside of the 8 ball. Froze to the 8 ball clicked his ball off the 8 to the rail. He is now frozen to back of the 8 ball in the jaws of the corner pocket. He made some ridiculous attempt at a kick that went no where. I shot the 8 ball off and collected my money.

Whenever I hear anyone use the term slop it raises a flag for me. Oh there you are. I know you.
GREAT post. Well put.

Old
  (#40)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2019, 08:20 AM

Once on the break cb double kissed a ball in somehow
Guy told me nope and rushed to the table

A family member of mine who is the king of all bar bangers
He needed an edge that day he was down 11 to 2

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#41)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Carom Club View Post
Once on the break cb double kissed a ball in somehow
Guy told me nope and rushed to the table

A family member of mine who is the king of all bar bangers
He needed an edge that day he was down 11 to 2
Hahaha. That is freakin classic. The epitome of bar rules lol. Iím gonna keep an eye out for an opportunity to use this.

Old
  (#42)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2019, 09:00 AM

Another guy i will never play again

Likes to split the rack in half like a sandwhich
Sticks his hand in the middle and pushes balls up and back creating a 1 or 2 inch or so gap
Says you hardly ever make a ball this way
So i soft broke it and left the cb close to the rack i could

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#43)
TheBasics
AzB Silver Member
TheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2019, 09:45 AM

Scratch85, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
I too am from Small Town, Nowhere. Population 1330.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
Where I live we call that a large town. Out here the pop. is < 200, Have an Eagles
Lodge and a hole-n-the-wall bar that's open from 12 am to 10 pm. A busy day might
be 6 or 7 customers total.
20 miles to T or C to the North and 20 miles to Hatch to the South. Out here we have
to go "somewhere" to get to the "you can't get there from here place."

hank

Old
  (#44)
Ghosst
Broom Handle Mafia
Ghosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond reputeGhosst has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 825

10-18-2019, 09:50 AM

I have a stand-up display on my table with some basic rules, the guest Wi-Fi, how to get music, etc.

On them clearly states, "If you can't look it up in the rulebook, it's not a rule. There are two copies of the rules here and internet available. This is not Billy's Bar and there are no bar rules."

On the subject of playing in a bar; if I ever do it, and have to play safe, I just call a random pocket and lay the safe knowing it's not going near that hole. I have heard a few color phrases about safeties, but that tells me more about the person and how to beat them. Names like, "granny stick", and, "***** stick", are also dead giveaways.

Now, just a caution if you do find yourself playing in a bar, watch for people who use the RAM SHOT on the break. They're hustlers. A real bad sort, them-un's are.

Run racks, not your mouth.

Old
  (#45)
mchnhed
I Came, I Shot, I Choked
mchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosst View Post
Now, just a caution if you do find yourself playing in a bar, watch for people who use the RAM SHOT on the break. They're hustlers. A real bad sort, them-un's are.
Thank you for mentioning my Cousin....PoolKillers Famous Ram Shot.

Ram Shot Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kkjopqJhZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJe9AhiySnE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W5nu11AMZXY

Ram Shot
See Page 19 of "A Beginner's Guide to Playing 8 Ball"
https://issuu.com/poolkillers81/docs...to_8_ball_pool

Discussions
http://forums.azbilliards.com/archiv.../t-340400.html

PoolKillers
https://issuu.com/poolkillers81/docs...to_8_ball_pool
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=454714