Does taking ibuprofen affect performance?

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played a tournament this weekend. First match started off great. My opponent was strong, but I came with big shots and had some good outs.

Waiting for my second match, I started to feel a light headache coming on. I popped an Aleve, and before I knew it, no more headache. No body aches at all, either.

Second match was against an equally strong opponent, but I played much less sharp than I did before and lost. Quickly jumped into my third match, where my opponent was just a hair better than me.

I got zipped lol.

During the third match, I absolutely could not make a ball. Can't believe my game could vacillate so much in such a short period of time.

Anyone else ever take ibuprofen and feel like it dulled your ability to focus or concentrate?

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
I've done the same thing before and thought that it was just me. Try BC Powder. It's aspirin and caffeine. Much better choice.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I take Aleve before every session...I've got chronic tennis elbow and arthritis in my right ankle that make shooting a literal pain. Doesn't affect my game............or does it?! :confused: That's all I need, another excuse for playing like crap.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Aleve is not ibuprofen (Advil) it is Naproxen. Naproxen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No problems with Advil but avoid caffeine and alcohol.

On another note, if you suffer from chafing, I have found this anti Monkey Butt power to work miraculously well. No kidding.

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/index.php?submenu=FAQ&src=faq&category=Anti%20Monkey%20Butt%20FAQs

Avoid caffeine? That sounds kind of odd. Caffeine is a proven performance enhancing drug. In moderate doses, it improves focus, mental function, muscle function, reflexes, and overall mood. Having a dependence on it sucks for sure though.

KMRUNOUT

jersey jer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aleve is not ibuprofen (Advil) it is Naproxen. Naproxen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory.

Yup
Aleve = Naproxen sodium
Advil = Ibuprophen

they are both non steroidal anti-inflammatories. either has the possible adverse reaction of nausea, dizziness or can make you feel lightheaded.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup
Aleve = Naproxen sodium
Advil = Ibuprophen

they are both non steroidal anti-inflammatories. either has the possible adverse reaction of nausea, dizziness or can make you feel lightheaded.

Correct.

Ibuprofen and Aleve in small doses will affect you as much as a carbonated drink.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ibuprofen is quite simply an anti-inflammatory. If you have pain related to inflammation it may help your game because it can decrease the pain. It should not have any affect on your mental status or focus though, unless you have an adverse side effect to it. Also, Aleve is not an ibuprofen based anti inflammatory, it is Naproxen. Either way, neither of these should be considered anything but anti inflammatories. Something else was the cause of your demise in this scenario.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Either you didn't take enough, or the mix wasn't the right one.
Seriously, Aleve / Naproxen on an empty stomach could affect your game a little.
If you're used to popping a few 200 mg Ibuprofen and you took a few 220 mg Naproxen without eating, I think it could mess you up a little.
If you didn't take more than 3, and it was with food, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

DaddysVisa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The mind is a funny thing. You might have just suffered the equivalent of a "reverse-placebo" effect. With the placebo effect, your belief in the treatment can cause not just a perception of symptom improvement, but actual objective measures of improvement. But this is a double-edged sword. One you considered the possibility that the Aleve might have been affecting your performance it can create a self-fulfilling prophecy, where now you are actually not feeling and performing well.

There's been some interesting placebo studies where the strength of the placebo effect increased as people were told their dose was increasing, but interestingly, the number and strength of their reported side-effects increased as well.

MFB

Just a User
Silver Member
I've done the same thing before and thought that it was just me. Try BC Powder. It's aspirin and caffeine. Much better choice.

I had a migraine headache last week. I coworker told gave me two packets of BC powder. First time I had ever heard of it. :eek: But it worked great.

That stuff is awesome! :thumbup:

Adam Brown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No problems with Advil but avoid caffeine and alcohol.

On another note, if you suffer from chafing, I have found this anti Monkey Butt power to work miraculously well. No kidding.

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/index.php?submenu=FAQ&src=faq&category=Anti%20Monkey%20Butt%20FAQs

It's funny you mention monkey butt. I have tried I on a couple of occasions but no results. I prefer the Johnson & Johnson baby powder with cornstarch and aloe. I carry a small bottle everywhere. My day is ruined if I leave home without it. I also take Advil, it doesn't affect me that much, but I'm no pro either.

Adam

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Around our local poolroom, I see some of the shooters smoking something in a pipe out back for their headaches.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone else ever take ibuprofen and feel like it dulled your ability to focus or concentrate?

I have taken ibuprofen a zillion times before playing and never had an issue. But then again, I suck, so maybe I should rethink that.

Freddie <~~~ I need a new drug

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
But then again, I suck, so maybe I should rethink that.

Freddie <~~~ I need a new drug

You and I ought to get together for a short set to prove who is the AZB "King of Suck" champion. That title would go to the loser of the set (which, of course, would be me!!!) :thumbup:

Maniac

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It's funny you mention monkey butt. I have tried I on a couple of occasions but no results. I prefer the Johnson & Johnson baby powder with cornstarch and aloe. I carry a small bottle everywhere. My day is ruined if I leave home without it. I also take Advil, it doesn't affect me that much, but I'm no pro either.

Adam

I think I know what the problem is. You're supposed to use it on your monkey.