Old
  (#16)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-29-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kushn View Post
Here's a good lesson. 400 points from the break.
http://www.kozoom.com/en/billiard-carom/video/7526.html

Notice 8 innings to gather. 14 innings to get on the rail.
Don't be in a hurry. Make each shot mean something but stay calm.
Learn the soft touch.
Learn the ultra thin hit with the soft touch.
Learn the kiss back and when to use it and how.
Be patient and conservative in your game.

And of course you'll need to learn masse to hit the big numbers.
The game has no respect. Its very tough to make big runs. Most can't get past 6 or 10.

This is excellent, just got to watch it, picked up a few techniques I'm going to use when I see a separation beginning

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#17)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

02-28-2016, 07:26 PM

I'm still playing free game
I see what the good players do while nursing the rail, I'm on kozoom I'll always watch a good straight rail match

But man it's tough to get the hang of the rail nurse
I feel like I'm better at 3c than this game, I either know/can see how to hit it or there's nothing I see

Rail nursing I'm kinda clueless, but enjoying the challenge

Royal Pro

Old
  (#18)
erriep
AzB Silver Member
erriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond repute

02-29-2016, 04:04 AM

beneath_the_sur ,

of special interest for you are xavier gretillat's youtube vids (he's The swiss small games champion) .

about how to obtain the nursing position a good one is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzOqYodQBY4 (from 20 to 40, very interesting shots to study)
mode detailled sequences :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq_hixmHtqc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep_GHa3iQNw

other classical small games "patterns" :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM3MbsnSABI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO9WludpnDE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prl09PIkG24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0B_XCjRD1A

Last edited by erriep; 02-29-2016 at 04:14 AM.

Old
  (#19)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline

02-29-2016, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erriep View Post
beneath_the_sur ,

of special interest for you are xavier gretillat's youtube vids (he's The swiss small games champion) .

about how to obtain the nursing position a good one is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzOqYodQBY4 (from 20 to 40, very interesting shots to study)
mode detailled sequences :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq_hixmHtqc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep_GHa3iQNw

other classical small games "patterns" :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM3MbsnSABI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO9WludpnDE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prl09PIkG24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0B_XCjRD1A

Thanks for these buddy!

I see that in certain situations I choose the correct effect for position, I just screw it up in the execution

Royal Pro

Old
  (#20)
erriep
AzB Silver Member
erriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond repute

02-29-2016, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneath_the_sur View Post
Thanks for these buddy!

I see that in certain situations I choose the correct effect for position, I just screw it up in the execution
hehe, normal. You'll spend your entire life to try to achieve these as perfectly as you imagine the shots , and there is no end to this quest. That's straight rail.

one key is to master the speed levels in the 1/3 of the table, and that's not mostly due to your stroke speed, but to the "quantity of OB1" at a known stroke speed. Work to find the appropriate "quantity" of the OB1 who gives you the "automatic speed" of the ob1 when you die on the ob2. That's a productive training. It's "most thick that you believe". This advice is usefull when you begin to learn straight rail. Think to it . More thick.

another advice i would suggest you, if you train to master the straight rail, is to play on a small table.
9feet/2m80 , or even smaller 2m60 (<- norm in belgium under 20 of general average in tournament :-) belgians are verrrry serious straight rail opponents.incredible level they play. what they call "medium players" are masters level in the usa ... their masters -"Honneur" in their league-can really play >200 general average in a tournament on a 10feet , 400 points distance. not a joke).
To learn straight rail on a 10feet , 3.10 is wayyyyy too hard IMHO. That's the problem you have in the usa, where so many tables in the poolrooms are 10feet.

Last edited by erriep; 02-29-2016 at 05:24 AM.

Old
  (#21)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline

02-29-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erriep View Post
hehe, normal. You'll spend your entire life to try to achieve these as perfectly as you imagine the shots , and there is no end to this quest. That's straight rail.

one key is to master the speed levels in the 1/3 of the table, and that's not mostly due to your stroke speed, but to the "quantity of OB1" at a known stroke speed. Work to find the appropriate "quantity" of the OB1 who gives you the "automatic speed" of the ob1 when you die on the ob2. That's a productive training. It's "most thick that you believe". This advice is usefull when you begin to learn straight rail. Think to it . More thick.

another advice i would suggest you, if you train to master the straight rail, is to play on a small table.
9feet/2m80 , or even smaller 2m60 (<- norm in belgium under 20 of general average in tournament :-) belgians are verrrry serious straight rail opponents.incredible level they play. what they call "medium players" are masters level in the usa ... their masters -"Honneur" in their league-can really play >200 general average in a tournament on a 10feet , 400 points distance. not a joke).
To learn straight rail on a 10feet , 3.10 is wayyyyy too hard IMHO. That's the problem you have in the usa, where so many tables in the poolrooms are 10feet.
The place close to me that has three gabriels Does also have 2 9ft olhausen billiard tables, the cloth on them is like carpet though, not very well maintained or played much, but I do see guys playing straight rail in them time to time

But this is the only place I've ever seen smaller billiard tables and never seen one smaller than 9ft

Royal Pro

Old
  (#22)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline

02-29-2016, 05:59 AM

Do the players play with very light cues?
Like 17 ounces or less?
I have 18 ounce for my current cues, often thought while playing straight rail, that it could help some to have the cue even lighter

Royal Pro

Old
  (#23)
erriep
AzB Silver Member

02-29-2016, 08:45 AM

yep, for straight rail, 17oz / 480g or bit less -without the wrap- is kind of norm here . the lighter, the better.
from 16.5 to 17.3 is what you'll see the most in the poolhalls. (personnally i do like the light side for straight rail , 470g ).
short, 140cm. sometime 138 , depending of the stance & taste.

Last edited by erriep; 02-29-2016 at 08:49 AM.

Hi Beneath The Sur
Old
  (#24)
Dean_H
luv the small modalities
Dean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Beneath The Sur - 02-29-2016, 05:53 PM

I use a Longoni Sorrento 480g with a shaft with a 11mm tip. I also use an elkmaster ( soft tip ) for my shaft I use for straight rail although you may want a layered soft tip instead.

I have been practicing gather shots for many years now. I memorize the position, set up, and especially the feel and speed of the shot. I have worked thru the easy gather shots from Xavier Gretillat's book. I am now working my way thru the medium difficulty shots. Learning Gather shots takes a lot of time and practice. Once you get a feel for one position you should try to gather and make 5 more points after the gather. Once you can gather and make 5 points after the gather shot move to next diagram. Practicing Gather shots has helped me visualize what to do in a very abstract game.

I suggest not trying to learn the nurses yet, once you get good at controlling the balls and gathering then you can learn the nurses.

I meet people at the billiard hall and all there view of straight rail is you learn the nurses and that is the whole game, but there is a lot more to the game then nursing.

Don't get discouraged by peoples attitude to straight rail either. For some reason people hate the game for whatever reason. As long as you like the game, and are improving, and having fun that is what matters.

Last edited by Dean_H; 02-29-2016 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Mispelling and bad grammer

Old
  (#25)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline

02-29-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_H View Post
I use a Longoni Sorrento 480g with a shaft with a 11mm tip. I also use an elkmaster ( soft tip ) for my shaft I use for straight rail although you may want a layered soft tip instead.

I have been practicing gather shots for many years now. I memorize the position, set up, and especially the feel and speed of the shot. I have worked thru the easy gather shots from Xavier Gretillat's book. I am now working my way thru the medium difficulty shots. Learning Gather shots takes a lot of time and practice. Once you get a feel for one position you should try to gather and make 5 more points after the gather. Once you can gather and make 5 points after the gather shot move to next diagram. Practicing Gather shots has helped me visualize what to do in a very abstract game.

I suggest not trying to learn the nurses yet, once you get good at controlling the balls and gathering then you can learn the nurses.

I meet people at the billiard hall and all there view of straight rail is you learn the nurses and that is the whole game, but there is a lot more to the game then nursing.

Don't get discouraged by peoples attitude to straight rail either. For some reason people hate the game for whatever reason. As long as you like the game, and are improving, and having fun that is what matters.

Is this fellows book printed in English?

I have no one to discourage the game for me as I don't have anyone to play any billiards with, even if I dof

I enjoy things that take more than a little time to get a handle of

Royal Pro

Old
  (#26)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline

03-10-2016, 06:15 AM

this game seems to be more frustrating than 3c while trying to gather the balls,
i do feel more loose though when attempting a 3 rail shot, make quite a bit more, also see different shots i wouldnt see or attempt while playing 3c

very intriguing game

Royal Pro

Old
  (#27)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline

03-16-2016, 01:20 PM

http://www.kozoom.com/en/billiard-carom/live/16659.html

good match on right now, first player lookin like hes gonna go 400 and out from the break

Royal Pro

Old
  (#28)
Dean_H
luv the small modalities
Dean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond reputeDean_H has a reputation beyond repute

03-16-2016, 10:48 PM

Yeah the Grand Dutch Pentathalon tournament is a great tournament. Kozoom is covering the matches and it seems with more than one camera so there is good chance some of the matches end up in the Kozoom replays.

On another note the youtube channel of "Didier Tromas" just posted 12 matches of the French Masters tournament for 47_1 Baulkline.

Old
  (#29)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline

03-17-2016, 05:29 PM

hey dean i found dalys book, free pdf

lots of stuff for me to learn there, kinda crazy its free

Royal Pro

Old
  (#30)
rikdee
AzB Silver Member
rikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond repute

03-18-2016, 06:27 AM

I've often said the first 17 pages of this book are a fascinating read as the narrative highlights the unimaginable skill level of the 19th century billiard masters, all in spite of the comparatively primitive equipment. Some players!

Last edited by rikdee; 03-18-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Page 2 of 12 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: