Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Philosophy of buying, selling, and keeping my shooting cue
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
galipeau
AzB Silver Member
galipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-24-2016, 11:23 AM

While I do get the consistency argument for owning only one cue, and I certainly dislike owning things I don't use, I have always bought and sold cues because I like exploring the differences in how they play. I only have about 5 or 6 cues right now, and it feels like too many to me. However, I don't feel guilty for owning my one really nice player.

I do like having certain cues in my tiny collection and I got them all for what I consider to be good prices. There are a couple I'd prefer to never sell for sentimental reasons, and others I have no special attachment to. I'm the kind of person that will play with just about anything, but I have paired down my current setup with a definite purpose in mind. I enjoy cues for their aesthetic beauty and their function.

I consider myself lucky to be in a place where I can buy and sell cues, and even afford to give them away to players who don't have their own cue.

Last edited by galipeau; 03-24-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Old
  (#17)
philly
AzB Silver Member
philly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond repute

03-24-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galipeau View Post
While I do get the consistency argument for owning only one cue, and I certainly dislike owning things I don't use, I have always bought and sold cues because I like exploring the differences in how they play. I only have about 5 or 6 cues right now, and it feels like too many to me. However, I don't feel guilty for owning my one really nice player.

I do like having certain cues in my tiny collection and I got them all for what I consider to be good prices. There are a couple I'd prefer to never sell though for sentimental reasons, and others I have not special attachment to. I'm the kind of person that will play with just about anything, but I have paired down my current setup with a definite purpose in mind. I enjoy cues for their aesthetic beauty and their function.

I consider myself lucky to be in a place where I can buy and sell cues, and even afford to give them away to players who don't have their own cue.

You like and appreciate the beauty of cue sticks. You like owning them. Some people buy cameras and lenses. Some people buy clothes. Some people collect straight razors, watches or whatever. For you it's cue sticks. Enjoy them. I know guys that have many of them and always have one or two or three under construction. For them it's a hobby.

Pool may not build character but it certainly will reveal it.

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis" Unencumbered By The Thought Process

How do you feel? Fast and loose, man.

Old
  (#18)
galipeau
AzB Silver Member
galipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond reputegalipeau has a reputation beyond repute

03-24-2016, 11:35 AM

I do like owning them, but I like playing more....

Old
  (#19)
philly
AzB Silver Member
philly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond repute

03-24-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galipeau View Post
I do like owning them, but I like playing more....
And only one is your go to player?

Old
  (#20)
galipeau
AzB Silver Member

03-24-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly View Post
And only one is your go to player?
My Hagan is my main player. I break the others out at random.

I would be lying if I said I played equally well with all of them. I prefer the Hagan most for balance, hit, looks, feel, everything, over my other cues.

However, if my house were on fire and I had to grab one at random without looking and play with only that cue for the rest of my life... I would be ok with any of them.

Old
  (#21)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

03-24-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiardthought View Post
Wondering why I am toting around 1200 bucks worth of cue when the 160 dollar Schmelke shot just fine as well. What I am trying to come to terms with is, among you fine folks who can afford to buy whatever cue you want (ok I can't afford ANY cue, but this Diveney certainly didn't put me in debt) how do you justify the value in the cue to yourself to continue playing with it? When do you decide that a very nice cue you have is up for sale or when you know you will keep it forever?

Justify it?

Because it pleases me. When I play, my toy box...er I mean cue case...is carrying a few thousand dollars worth of fancy woodwork.

Why? It pleases me. Idle pleasure. It has nothing to do with the level of my game. I don't need to earn the privilege of playing with a good cue, I only need to earn the money to pay for it.

When do I sell? Um...that's one of my problems. I rarely sell. I have a cue problem.

I see a lot of people turn over a lot of cues. I know they like cues. I know they do. But somehow it is different for me. I don't let go so easily. They aren't just a product to me. Even the ugly ducklings are beautiful to me in some way. It might be history, it might be something else, but something makes it special. If I had to sell cues to get another I don't know what I would do. It would upset me. I couldn't flip cues the way some do. Maybe someday I will.

Recently I spent more on a cue than I ever had before. It is a keeper. I have had several offers to buy it already. I am perplexed by that. If you know me, you know I didn't buy the cue to sell it. It would take a stupid offering price to get it out of my hands.

I often play two or three cues when I shoot, in addition to my break cue. Why? It pleases me. I like comparing and contrasting cues. If you don't do that then how do you really know how various cues compare?

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#22)
philly
AzB Silver Member

03-24-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
Justify it?

Because it pleases me. When I play, my toy box...er I mean cue case...is carrying a few thousand dollars worth of fancy woodwork.

Why? It pleases me. Idle pleasure. It has nothing to do with the level of my game. I don't need to earn the privilege of playing with a good cue, I only need to earn the money to pay for it.

When do I sell? Um...that's one of my problems. I rarely sell. I have a cue problem.

I see a lot of people turn over a lot of cues. I know they like cues. I know they do. But somehow it is different for me. I don't let go so easily. They aren't just a product to me. Even the ugly ducklings are beautiful to me in some way. It might be history, it might be something else, but something makes it special. If I had to sell cues to get another I don't know what I would do. It would upset me. I couldn't flip cues the way some do. Maybe someday I will.

Recently I spent more on a cue than I ever had before. It is a keeper. I have had several offers to buy it already. I am perplexed by that. If you know me, you know I didn't buy the cue to sell it. It would take a stupid offering price to get it out of my hands.

I often play two or three cues when I shoot, in addition to my break cue. Why? It pleases me. I like comparing and contrasting cues. If you don't do that then how do you really know how various cues compare?

Life is shorter than we think. Enjoy, Doc.

Old
  (#23)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute

03-24-2016, 12:27 PM

I like cues. And, most cues play different no matter what "the indian not the arrow" crowd says. I currently only have two that I play with, a 1993 Dan Dishaw and a 2011 Kevin Varney. I like to play with cues that sound and feel similar to the first Southwest I owned and both these do. If you like your cues, don't worry about it, play with whichever one you feel like at the moment or just one most of the time, whatever.
Play the game

I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Straight Pool is not a race!

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels:http://www.mediafire.com/file/ldhxbl..._Game.pdf/file

Old
  (#24)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

03-24-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
This is not really a direct question, but more wondering who else finds themselves in my position or what you think of my position.

I have been playing pool for 4 years - I am no world beater but I do hold my own. I have owned a number of different cues. My first cue was a players, and shortly after purchase I added on the players hxt shaft. A couple different iterations of OB cues followed, then a pechauer, a Brent Summers, and then back to OB.

For the past few months I have been playing with a regular 'ole Schmelke. Last September I put in an order with Diveney for a totally custom full splice with veneers, inlays, and rings to suit me, and a lakewood shaft to seal the deal. When I was using the Schmelke, I couldn't wait for the Diveney. I was playing good with the Schmelke, just about as good as I ever have been. But it wasn't a special cue, just cocobolo and maple, but then again you can reduce all cues to sound that boring if you want to. I was ready to have a dollar value on a cue match what I think my game is currently at. I mean if I am spending all this time playing pool I should be holding exactly the cue I want, right? I received the Diveney a couple weeks ago and let me tell you - it really is sweet. It fit my specifications perfectly, and although it is quite a bit stiffer than the 12mm Schmelke, it too plays really well and inspires confidence when I'm shooting. Sure I have to learn all the nuances, but I already feel pretty good shooting with it, just need to spend some time practicing before I can hit those money shots in one pocket.

This all brings me to today. Wondering why I am toting around 1200 bucks worth of cue when the 160 dollar Schmelke shot just fine as well. And I am not trying to debate with anyone about the indian vs the arrow philosophy, because I agree it's how you shoot, not the cue you shoot with. What I am trying to come to terms with is, among you fine folks who can afford to buy whatever cue you want (ok I can't afford ANY cue, but this Diveney certainly didn't put me in debt) how do you justify the value in the cue to yourself to continue playing with it? When do you decide that a very nice cue you have is up for sale or when you know you will keep it forever? I feel like I am in constant battle with myself - I am always waiting to upgrade to a better cue, and once I get the nice cue I have a realization that I should just be using whatever cue comes my way and sell the nice cue in favor of something as basic as it gets. And the cycle continues.

Is it possible I haven't truly honed in on the hit of a cue I prefer? Am I simply addicted to ordering new cues and opening up the package? Am I purchasing cues in the wrong cost segment?

I want to hear what you think.
Some buy a car and are happy with it. Some buy a car and have to have all the gadgets added to make it??? Some have the money to buy the nicest car available, but many of those are just ''keepin' up with the jones''. When your first learning, and 4 years of play is the tip, having and trying and using different cues is Fun, but your understanding of the wood your holding is near impossible to decipher. At your game/point in life, you need to first settle/find the cue weight you like, and start with a standard length. Your game needs a baseline before moving forward. Forward tho has many answers. If you question a cue you own, and are unsure how it fits in your life, let a great player hit some balls with it and the others, and get feedback your unable to understand with your present ability. It's amazing how many cues ''buzz'' when I hit thru the shot 100%, and the ones that don't, I then start thinking of the ''balance point'', only because after decades, I know where that is'.

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#25)
AlienObserver
AzB Silver Member
AlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond reputeAlienObserver has a reputation beyond repute

03-24-2016, 01:28 PM

Well, I absolutely love my cue. It's not even a custom, it's a production cue. It's the Poison Nitro Ni4. I don't ever want to change it. Shaft? Probably i would try some of them if i had the money. But not the cue.
The only custom cue I would get (if i won the lottary or something) would be one exactly the same but with negative colours to have as a break cue.
That being said, i like looking at new cues! I enjoy spending hours on the internet looking at cues on all the online shops. But the thought of me using a different cue makes me uncofortable.
Some months ago one of my friends was looking for a new cue and he wanted to try mine to see if he liked it (If he did like it, he would order another poison cue, i will never sell mine.). So we swapped cues for 2 days (he had a predator one) and although i liked how his cue hit i couldn't stand the thought that I'm not playing with my Poison, and that he was playing with it! It felt like I was cheating on my cue, and my cue was cheating on me xD I know, it's dum to even think of it like this, but I couldn't help it!

Old
  (#26)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

03-24-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly View Post
Life is shorter than we think. Enjoy, Doc.

There ya go!

I don't want to get old and find myself saying "I wish I had done (insert cool thing to do)..."

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#27)
cueenvy
AzB Silver Member
cueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond reputecueenvy has a reputation beyond repute

03-24-2016, 04:28 PM

I've bought and flipped many many cues, some high end ones too. I've had Scruggs, McDaniel, Joss, Josswest , Gina and a dozen more. I'm not a collector, except for some vintage cues that I keep because I just love the nostalgia factor. Anyway I shoot with a Predator special edition XI...because it out plays every cue I've had....for me. It's about what your preference is and it's all about the indian, not the arrow anyway.

Old
  (#28)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

03-24-2016, 05:09 PM

Sometimes the cue just clicks.........for any brand........and it turns out to be stupendous.
I've got some cues costing a lot like yours and the best hitting cue I ever tried is not one of mine

The cue belonged to a buddy in the Ft. Worth area and it was a Meucci with flat faced wood joint.
I swear on a stack of bibles that this cue was like silk n' satin in your hands......and it didn't cost a lot.

The hit was crisp but soft and just enough forward balance that you had to practice stroke slowly to
appreciate the subtle balance. The cue had a price well under $500 too. I was & still am dumfounded.

Matt B.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (9-6-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon '85 Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#29)
63Kcode
AKA Larry Vigus
63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute63Kcode has a reputation beyond repute

03-24-2016, 07:05 PM

How many women/men does one go through to find the perfect one. How do you know you found it.

Some questions are never going to be answered!

Enjoy your new cue.

Larry

Not taking orders at this time, Thanks!

Old
  (#30)
TATE
AzB Gold Mensch
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

03-24-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
This all brings me to today. Wondering why I am toting around 1200 bucks worth of cue when the 160 dollar Schmelke shot just fine as well.

I want to hear what you think.
The question simply boils down to this: Why should I play with a cue that costs more, if I don't really love it?

This is tells me that you are logical or practical and it also seems like you are having buyer's remorse. Sometimes the anticipation or expectation we build up simply cannot be matched by reality. Maybe in a month, you'll pick up that Schmelke and it will feel like $160 cue.

I went through about 4 or 5 cues before I found mine (a Josswest). Once it was in my hands, after a short adjustment period, I just knew it was right. I improved it with several LD shafts, each time liking it more and more. I love it.

Money comes and goes. Sometimes the pride in owning what you want is more valuable, useful and fulfilling than the money it costs.

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: