Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page am I practicing correctly and efficiently?
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
am I practicing correctly and efficiently?
Old
  (#1)
judochoke
AzB Silver Member
judochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond reputejudochoke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

am I practicing correctly and efficiently? - 12-08-2018, 01:55 PM

6 months in, practicing at least 2 hours a day at home. 75 percent of my time, I like to put out 7 solids and the 8 ball, and just practice pattern play. I do this twice, and then I throw all of the balls and play the ghost, one time. then I do the line up drill, all 15 balls at the middle diamond in a row, trying to go in order. then I just repeat those three drills, over and over again.

my other 25 percent of the time, I use a timer, and a notebook, and will do 20 minutes of draw, 20 minutes of follow, 20 minutes of frozen ball shots, ect. ect.
I will also work on a shot that im missing, or 90-90 aiming.

they are so many drills out there on the internet, should I be doing all of these different drills? or just stick to the ones im doing and enjoy??

my improvement is coming, but its a very slow process.

I also like to put out 6 balls and shoot in order, via tom Lowry, I can get all six 50 percent of the time.

am I efficient??????? thanks for any replys. judo

Old
  (#2)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-08-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judochoke View Post
they are so many drills out there on the internet, should I be doing all of these different drills? or just stick to the ones im doing and enjoy??
Work on the shots where you make errors. It is pointless to do a drill shot that you can do perfectly 100 in a row. Every shot in a drill must challenge you one way or another.

When you play the ghost, try to note which shots or positions are problems for you.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#3)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

12-09-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Work on the shots where you make errors. It is pointless to do a drill shot that you can do perfectly 100 in a row. Every shot in a drill must challenge you one way or another.

When you play the ghost, try to note which shots or positions are problems for you.

To compound on this donít practice (especially too much work on) shots well beyond your range that will force major errors on your part.

Itís not going to help reinforce good habits only promote bad ones.

Reach and out try but donít keep bashing away at some circus shot......if one chooses too Iíll give them a banana call them gorilla and they can go home with the rest of the apes lol

Practice the 3 Qís:

Quality over quantity
Quality over bs
Quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old
  (#4)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

12-10-2018, 07:38 AM

You are working hard and working well, but a tune-up lesson and a few pro secrets are always a help. First lesson from me is free of cost.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#5)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

12-17-2018, 05:32 PM

There are no "pro secrets" Matt! Geez...what a line. You sound like Tom Simpson used to.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliardsAbout View Post
You are working hard and working well, but a tune-up lesson and a few pro secrets are always a help. First lesson from me is free of cost.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#6)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

12-17-2018, 05:36 PM

judo...You are leaving out what the top instructors feel is most important... drills that check the quality, accuracy, and repeatability of your stroke. One such drill is shooting the CB up and back to your tip, down the centerline of the table. Then there are drills to correct errors in your stroke, and ingrain good habits. There are several others. Find an SPF instructor and get the Mother Drills.

Scott Lee

Quote:
6 months in, practicing at least 2 hours a day at home. 75 percent of my time, I like to put out 7 solids and the 8 ball, and just practice pattern play. I do this twice, and then I throw all of the balls and play the ghost, one time. then I do the line up drill, all 15 balls at the middle diamond in a row, trying to go in order. then I just repeat those three drills, over and over again.

my other 25 percent of the time, I use a timer, and a notebook, and will do 20 minutes of draw, 20 minutes of follow, 20 minutes of frozen ball shots, ect. ect.

I also like to put out 6 balls and shoot in order, via tom Lowry, I can get all six 50 percent of the time.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#7)
Prairie dog
AzB Silver Member
Prairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond repute

12-17-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
There are no "pro secrets" Matt! Geez...what a line. You sound like Tom Simpson used to.

Scott Lee
post deleted. Poor taste.

Member of NRA

Old
  (#8)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

12-17-2018, 05:41 PM

Prairie dog...CTE is nothing secret. There are several ways to learn how to use it...and many other 'aiming methods', as well. Some use some kind of pivot... some don't;

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie dog View Post
I thought CTE was one (secret).

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#9)
Prairie dog
AzB Silver Member
Prairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond reputePrairie dog has a reputation beyond repute

12-17-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Prairie dog...CTE is nothing secret. There are several ways to learn how to use it...and many other 'aiming methods', as well. Some use some kind of pivot... some don't;

Scott Lee
Oops, meant to delete that one. No sense starting a war.

Member of NRA

Old
  (#10)
Prairie dog
AzB Silver Member

12-17-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:

Scott Lee
deleted
deleted

Member of NRA

Last edited by Prairie dog; 12-17-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Old
  (#11)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

12-18-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:

Scott Lee
Scott,

Do not denigrate my friend who passed, Tom Simpson. People paid Tom well to learn game secrets. Show respect. Speak kindly.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#12)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-18-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliardsAbout View Post
Scott,

Do not denigrate my friend who passed, Tom Simpson. People paid Tom well to learn game secrets. Show respect. Speak kindly.
Calling anything you teach "secrets" is marketing BS, whether from you or (my old friend) Tom.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#13)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

12-18-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Calling anything you teach "secrets" is marketing BS, whether from you or (my old friend) Tom.

pj

chgo

Shhh no one supposed to know bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old
  (#14)
Low500
Banned
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

12-18-2018, 11:47 AM

.....Life in a poolroom.
Now, even the instructors are quarreling with each other.

Gotta' love this game of pool...just gotta' eat it up.
*Santa Claus makes everything right*...cause Gene Autry said so.

Old
  (#15)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

12-18-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:

When you practice, you have to make sure that you're addressing your weaknesses. The best way to determine what your weaknesses are is in competition. It's not easy to analyze yourself but try to find problems in your game when you compete and take those problems to the practice table and try to work it out. Sometimes a drill to address the problem helps and sometimes shooting the same shot over and over helps and sometimes it's just a matter of getting past the fear of a particular type of shot.

But imagine if you could fix one problem every couple of practice sessions. Wow! You would improve really quickly.

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: