Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page am I practicing correctly and efficiently?
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-19-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Calling anything you teach "secrets" is marketing BS, whether from you or (my old friend) Tom.

pj
chgo
It is not appropriate, as I understand it, to say at AZ that one has a "secret aim system" for pay.

Aim systems aside, I do have quite a number of hustler and pro secrets that I teach in lessons. I've noted, for an example, that a long discussion will go on at AZ for multiple pages, like "What was Pro X doing at 3:56 in this video?" and I'll look at it and say, "He was doing secret Y."

I suppose I could change to "pro skill-level techniques" or so, since the semantics are upsetting.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#17)
donuteric
always a newbie
donuteric has a reputation beyond reputedonuteric has a reputation beyond reputedonuteric has a reputation beyond reputedonuteric has a reputation beyond reputedonuteric has a reputation beyond reputedonuteric has a reputation beyond reputedonuteric has a reputation beyond reputedonuteric has a reputation beyond reputedonuteric has a reputation beyond reputedonuteric has a reputation beyond reputedonuteric has a reputation beyond repute

12-19-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judochoke View Post
6 months in, practicing at least 2 hours a day at home. 75 percent of my time, I like to put out 7 solids and the 8 ball, and just practice pattern play. I do this twice, and then I throw all of the balls and play the ghost, one time. then I do the line up drill, all 15 balls at the middle diamond in a row, trying to go in order. then I just repeat those three drills, over and over again.

my other 25 percent of the time, I use a timer, and a notebook, and will do 20 minutes of draw, 20 minutes of follow, 20 minutes of frozen ball shots, ect. ect.
I will also work on a shot that im missing, or 90-90 aiming.

they are so many drills out there on the internet, should I be doing all of these different drills? or just stick to the ones im doing and enjoy??

my improvement is coming, but its a very slow process.

I also like to put out 6 balls and shoot in order, via tom Lowry, I can get all six 50 percent of the time.

am I efficient??????? thanks for any replys. judo
When I first bought a table at home last year, I did what many did: spread and ran balls. I spent (and arguably wasted) a bit of time doing that for a couple months. However, even without any structured practice sessions, I improved a lot and raised my Fargo to 570 with over 1000 recorded games. I naively thought to myself, "at this rate, I'll be playing SVB speed soon." Then I hit my first plateau. No matter how much time I spent running balls, I didn't seem to improve anymore.

A few months later, I hosted Bustamante for a week, who taught me a few things. I started spending quarter of my session practice on breaking. In addition to learning troubled angles and drills, I incorporated 15-ball rotation and 14.1 in my practice routines. I raised my Fargo to 600.

Then I hosted Efren and Rolando, who told me not to practice too much. "Quality over quantity," they said.

Now I spend roughly 8 hours/week on the table at home and spend the rest of the time competing. I believe muscle memory will obtain any information, good or bad, so if I'm not playing well during practice, I stop and just walk away from the table.

It's counter-intuitive to think that I spend less time practicing and yet my game seems to improve, slowly but surely. I'm at 615 now and hopefully I'll break the 625 goal soon and 650 by end of 2019.

Last edited by donuteric; 12-19-2018 at 09:25 AM.

Old
  (#18)
Buzzard II
AzB Silver Member
Buzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond repute

12-19-2018, 08:14 PM

It's funny about pool instructors. Some live to help you become a better player. And others live to hustle pool lessons or other stuff. This thread has shown me who to avoid. I'll let it go at that.

Jimmy 'da Vig

Player: Nice wood
Traveler: Plain wood

Old
  (#19)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

Smile 12-20-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
It's funny about pool instructors. Some live to help you become a better player. And others live to hustle pool lessons or other stuff. This thread has shown me who to avoid. I'll let it go at that.
Don't misunderstand me:

1) I've shared some secrets, oops, little-known techniques here, and had instructors and others nay-say, whereas the difference with people like Tom Simpson is/was he would ALWAYS test what I would say at the tables and discuss it, so it's for lessons only, usually, sorry...

2) My first lesson is free, but I deserve compensation for showing secrets, oops, I mean little-know techniques here. My average student goes up two full handicap points after a single lesson. They win every match they play for the next eight weeks in league and their handicap goes up.

3) I have other income and don't rely on lessons for my daily bread. I've also written thousands of e-mails to individuals, done many free seminars and clinics, given free lessons to needy folk, etc. I've written about as much on pool as anyone, and have done over a half-million words, mostly on pool instruction, online, in magazines, books, etc. to help the average Joe player, too.

It's funny about pool instructors, yeah. How about I give you a free lesson and some secrets--oops, I mean little-known techniques.

-- Matt Sherman

Old
  (#20)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com

12-20-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
And let's not lose my main point. I've dreamed of hosting or facilitating an instructor's conference where everyone can freely share ideas over pool tables, live, learn, love and grow--and change this game forever for everyone, for the better. But I felt I had to step in and reprove an otherwise respected instructor for saying mean things about me and a friend gone on... I would share more freely my techniques at AZ if they weren't blindly insulted when I post.

However, I relish thoughtful, intelligent criticism, too. We all know who are the thinking, careful instructors here...

-- Matt Sherman

Old
  (#21)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-20-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliardsAbout View Post
...a long discussion will go on at AZ for multiple pages, like "What was Pro X doing at 3:56 in this video?" and I'll look at it and say, "He was doing secret Y."

I suppose I could change to "pro skill-level techniques" or so, since the semantics are upsetting.
How about a few examples of some of these "pro skill-level techniques"?

pj
chgo

Old
  (#22)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com

12-21-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
How about a few examples of some of these "pro skill-level techniques"?

pj
chgo
Have you read the whole thread? As noted above, I've posted some here, in part or in full, to learn the hard way I'll get "No! Impossible!" before the person tests on the table or even thinks carefully about the proposed concept. Their loss.

Others have posted here, too, and part of the fun of the sport for me is tinkering with new ideas. Aim systems are a good example, there's a lot of dross but some silver and gold about!

In contrast to forum folks--and to be fair, people tend to be a little quick from the hip on any web forum, Tom Simpson and pro friends would instead discuss with me, try stuff out on the table, etc.

There are things I've taught dozens to hundreds of students in person that make for quick fixes and great gains. My free lesson/try me in person door remains open.

In my world, no one ever has to hear from me, "Great start! Just do X for the next six months, two hours a day, to improve!" My free lesson door remains open.

-- Matt Sherman

Old
  (#23)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donuteric View Post
When I first bought a table at home last year, I did what many did: spread and ran balls. I spent (and arguably wasted) a bit of time doing that for a couple months. However, even without any structured practice sessions, I improved a lot and raised my Fargo to 570 with over 1000 recorded games. I naively thought to myself, "at this rate, I'll be playing SVB speed soon." Then I hit my first plateau. No matter how much time I spent running balls, I didn't seem to improve anymore.

A few months later, I hosted Bustamante for a week, who taught me a few things. I started spending quarter of my session practice on breaking. In addition to learning troubled angles and drills, I incorporated 15-ball rotation and 14.1 in my practice routines. I raised my Fargo to 600.

Then I hosted Efren and Rolando, who told me not to practice too much. "Quality over quantity," they said.

Now I spend roughly 8 hours/week on the table at home and spend the rest of the time competing. I believe muscle memory will obtain any information, good or bad, so if I'm not playing well during practice, I stop and just walk away from the table.

It's counter-intuitive to think that I spend less time practicing and yet my game seems to improve, slowly but surely. I'm at 615 now and hopefully I'll break the 625 goal soon and 650 by end of 2019.
How did you manage to host Bustamante, Efren and Rolando?

Old
  (#24)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Have you read the whole thread? As noted above, I've posted some here, in part or in full, to learn the hard way I'll get "No! Impossible!" before the person tests on the table or even thinks carefully about the proposed concept. Their loss.

Others have posted here, too, and part of the fun of the sport for me is tinkering with new ideas. Aim systems are a good example, there's a lot of dross but some silver and gold about!

In contrast to forum folks--and to be fair, people tend to be a little quick from the hip on any web forum, Tom Simpson and pro friends would instead discuss with me, try stuff out on the table, etc.

There are things I've taught dozens to hundreds of students in person that make for quick fixes and great gains. My free lesson/try me in person door remains open.

In my world, no one ever has to hear from me, "Great start! Just do X for the next six months, two hours a day, to improve!" My free lesson door remains open.
I hope that when you do share these 'secrets' with your paying customers, that you give credit to their originators.

Old
  (#25)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com

12-21-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
I hope that when you do share these 'secrets' with your paying customers, that you give credit to their originators.
That is an excellent point, yes. Thank you.

-- Matt Sherman

Old
  (#26)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member

12-21-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
That is an excellent point, yes. Thank you.
I'm confused. What are you thanking me for?

Old
  (#27)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com

12-24-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
I'm confused. What are you thanking me for?
For stressing that I give credit where someone else has set a teaching standard.

But not for assuming that everything I teach comes from someone else.

-- Matt Sherman

Old
  (#28)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

12-24-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
It is not appropriate, as I understand it, to say at AZ that one has a "secret aim system" for pay.

Matt...If you want to market your "pro skill techniques", the least you could do is stick a crowbar in your wallet and buy a Gold Membership here! Whether you wish to admit it or not, there are no secret aiming systems.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#29)
goettlicher
AzB Silver Member
goettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond reputegoettlicher has a reputation beyond repute

12-24-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
And let's not lose my main point. I've dreamed of hosting or facilitating an instructor's conference where everyone can freely share ideas over pool tables, live, learn, love and grow--and change this game forever for everyone, for the better. But I felt I had to step in and reprove an otherwise respected instructor for saying mean things about me and a friend gone on... I would share more freely my techniques at AZ if they weren't blindly insulted when I post.

However, I relish thoughtful, intelligent criticism, too. We all know who are the thinking, careful instructors here...
We share that dream once a year.
Instructors from all over the Country stitting around a
pool table sharing ideas with each other.
You should join us.

randyg

P.B.I.A Master Instructor
2018 Instructor of the year
www.randygpool.com

Old
  (#30)
BilliardsAbout
BondFanEvents.com

12-26-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
Matt...If you want to market your "pro skill techniques", the least you could do is stick a crowbar in your wallet and buy a Gold Membership here! Whether you wish to admit it or not, there are no secret aiming systems.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com
I didn't say "secret aim systems" on this thread.

But you will recall Tom Simpson was officially teaching Houle systems in his seminars. Do you teach them? If not, they would be a secret to your students until they went to Tom's clinic, right?

There are also quite a few instructors and pros who teach no aim systems, because it makes them uncomfortable, in part because they aim by instinct and have no systems they advocate.

-- Matt Sherman

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: