Reload this Page Filler hit emí with the RAM shot
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Filler hit emí with the RAM shot
Old
  (#1)
Danimal
AzB Silver Member
Danimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond reputeDanimal has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Filler hit emí with the RAM shot - 04-26-2019, 06:29 PM

First of all, congrats to Filler on winning the 2019 US Open championship.

But notwithstanding an untimely foul by Wu at the end of the match, in the parlance of Karl Boyes, it has to be said that with the score 10-8 and with the mighty Wu mounting a comeback, Filler definitely hit emí with the RAM shot to get that 2 ball in. That shot was the turning point of the finals.

The moral of the story: no title has ever been won without a little bit of luck along the way. And perhaps a RAM shot or two.

Old
  (#2)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

04-26-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal View Post

But notwithstanding an untimely foul by Wu at the end of the match, in the parlance of Karl Boyes, it has to be said that with the score 10-8 and with the mighty Wu mounting a comeback, Filler definitely hit emí with the RAM shot to get that 2 ball in. That shot was the turning point of the finals.

The moral of the story: no title has ever been won without a little bit of luck along the way. And perhaps a RAM shot or two.
It didn't have the senselessness of a RAM shot....he was shooting out of a trap...
...playing a bank-combo on the nine....he DID get outrageously lucky...
...fortune favors the brave

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#3)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

04-27-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:

For clarification for those of us that may not know, what does RAM stand for? I assume it means getting lucky and pocketing a ball you didn't intend to, to keep your turn at the table?

Old
  (#4)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

04-27-2019, 05:10 AM

When you get in a jam, hit Ďem with the RAM!

Old
  (#5)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

04-27-2019, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
For clarification for those of us that may not know, what does RAM stand for? I assume it means getting lucky and pocketing a ball you didn't intend to, to keep your turn at the table?
The term 'RAM shot" was coined by a former poster who had his own way of playing
8-ball on a bar box...and his own set of rules which he thought should be universal..
....you'll know when a RAM shot was successfully executed when you've hit the ball
with full force, making four balls, ripping the cloth, and putting three spectators in the
hospital...

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Buddy Hall
Old
  (#6)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

Buddy Hall - 04-27-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
The term 'RAM shot" was coined by a former poster who had his own way of playing
8-ball on a bar box...and his own set of rules which he thought should be universal..
....you'll know when a RAM shot was successfully executed when you've hit the ball
with full force, making four balls, ripping the cloth, and putting three spectators in the
hospital...

I will always remember that as the Buddy Hall shot. Buddy said when you don't have a shot, knock hell out of the ball and hope for the best! When Buddy knocked hell out of a ball everybody within a few tables needed to get out of the way. He didn't need it often but his power stroke was awesome!

Hu

Old
  (#7)
gregcantrall
Center Ball
gregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond reputegregcantrall has a reputation beyond repute

04-27-2019, 06:46 AM

I called it, "Hit Em Hard and wish them well." I would warn my opponent before the shot with, "you better have your splash guards on!"

Old
  (#8)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

04-27-2019, 06:54 AM

I call it hit it high and let them fly

Old
  (#9)
gypsy_soul
AzB Silver Member
gypsy_soul has a reputation beyond reputegypsy_soul has a reputation beyond reputegypsy_soul has a reputation beyond reputegypsy_soul has a reputation beyond reputegypsy_soul has a reputation beyond reputegypsy_soul has a reputation beyond reputegypsy_soul has a reputation beyond reputegypsy_soul has a reputation beyond reputegypsy_soul has a reputation beyond reputegypsy_soul has a reputation beyond reputegypsy_soul has a reputation beyond repute

04-27-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Well now that the watching party is over are you ready to play some? I'm out and about again

Old
  (#10)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

04-27-2019, 07:27 AM

When I was growing up in the pool hall, we had a goofy guy nicknamed “Bull” (his real name as Basil) who was about an A-speed player who could go a gear higher at times. I don’t know where he got the nickname, but it fittingly described his game when he sometimes got into trouble.

He would bring out the RAM and he would slam the object ball and somehow get every ball on the table into motion flying at warp speed. In most cases, he would wind up making a ball, often a money ball or the game ball, but, if not, he would make something else and then wind up in perfect position for the next ball.

He would then start jumping up and down, laughing, and hollering, “Hezekiah”. What Hezekiah had to do with the game of pool, I don’t know, but the rest of the players would be hollering, “That’s Bull...bullshit”.

In edit: I just now thought of something that I never have thought of before, in the decades I’ve known this guy. His last name was “Counts”. It all makes sense now...Bull Counts.

Last edited by HawaiianEye; 04-27-2019 at 07:31 AM.

Old
  (#11)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-27-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
hospital...
Part of the official RAM shot explanation included a running start. I have never seen one played in person, but there is a YouTube video of one (of course).

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#12)
Tin Man
AzB Silver Member

Tin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond reputeTin Man has a reputation beyond repute

04-27-2019, 08:12 PM

Bob, that reminds me...I can't remember how it's done, but I saw a guy once that broke the balls with a weird approach. He lay the break cue on the table with the butt overhanging the end rail, then he jogged up to the table, hit the butt of the break cue which caused the cue stick to jump into the air, then he caught it and broke the balls, all in one smooth motion.

Make no mistake, it was idiotic. But memorable...

Old
  (#13)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member

04-27-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
Bob, that reminds me...I can't remember how it's done, but I saw a guy once that broke the balls with a weird approach. He lay the break cue on the table with the butt overhanging the end rail, then he jogged up to the table, hit the butt of the break cue which caused the cue stick to jump into the air, then he caught it and broke the balls, all in one smooth motion.

Make no mistake, it was idiotic. But memorable...
Did he make a ball?

Old
  (#14)
cardiac kid
Super Senior Member
cardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700
  Send a message via Yahoo to cardiac kid  
04-27-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
It didn't have the senselessness of a RAM shot....he was shooting out of a trap...
...playing a bank-combo on the nine....he DID get outrageously lucky...
...fortune favors the brave
Paul,

The whole scenario was outrageous. Watched it live and repeated that shot several times. Still have no idea what Mr Filler was actually trying to do. Can say he received one of the most timely table rolls I've seen in quite a while. Unless my vision is completely gone, the object ball "curved" into the corner pocket as it passed the cue ball. What say you?

Lyn

Playing Cue - Sort of Straight
Break Cue - Broken
Jump Cue - Looks Great in my Case!
Wrap - None
Tip - Only When the Service AND Food are Good
Case - JB Cases 4 x 8 Custom Case. Joe Porper Vinyl 2 x 4 (Vegas). Joe Porper 2 x 4 Leather for storage (OK, it's empty)

Nicknames - Dead Money, Salamander, Tomato Can, Weekend Warrior, Short Stop, Banger, Ron Casanzio Wannabe, NIT and the recently added Lamb Slayer in no special order. Wow what a list!

Old
  (#15)
PoolBum
Abracadabra!

PoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond reputePoolBum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1190

04-27-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac kid View Post
The whole scenario was outrageous. Watched it live and repeated that shot several times. Still have no idea what Mr Filler was actually trying to do.
He was trying to bank the 2 into the 9, then the 9 off the side cushion, off the 5, into the corner pocket.

The right shot was described by Boyes. Thin the left side of the 2 and try to bring the cue ball three cushions behind the 5.

"He knew what those jubilant crowds did not know, but could have learned from books; that the plague bacillus never dies or disappears for good...and that perhaps the day would come when, for the bane and the enlightening of men, it would rouse up its rats again and send them forth to die in a happy city."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: