Reload this Page Gold Crown Barn Find
Page 1 of 22 1 2311 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Gold Crown Barn Find
Old
  (#1)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 542

Gold Crown Barn Find - 08-03-2019, 06:32 AM

My buddy (@pocket) and I stumbled upon a very cool find locally. We responded to an ad on Offer Up for a Gold Crown 1 for sale in a bowling alley 3 miles from my house. Upon reading the ad, they had two for sale for $1K each. Needless to say, we went to check them out. The tables were in what used to be the bar area of the bowling alley that had been drywalled off and under construction so the owner could lease it out as a standalone commercial space. The person selling them believed they were purchased new sometime in the early to mid '60's. We found them filthy with torn cloth but were complete for the most part except for one was missing the plastic skirts. I started negotiating with the seller (who was not the owner) and he immediately said he's authorized to sell them for $500 each but can't go lower. I explained to him they have good bones but are missing some pieces and it is going to take quite a bit of work to clean them up to make them playable and offered $300 each. He countered with $400 but would need approval from the owner. The approval came in short order and we were the proud owners of a pair of Gold Crown 1's for $400 each; less than the asking price for one. Upon tear down, it became evident these table were well cared for and had only been recovered once. The original tack marks and one set of staple marks in the slate backing can be seen in one of the pics below. Judging from that and the near pristine formica rail tops and counters, it appears these table have hardly been played on in some 50+ years. Now the fun begins. We both plan to extend the sub rails, new rubber and drop pockets and a cosmetic restoration. The aprons will be sprayed Brunswick Blue; shoutout to @Xianmacx for the paint codes as well as fielding countless questions on the topic of restoration/preservation. The pedestals, stringer, ball rack box and plastic skirts will sprayed Brunswick White. My buddy plans to keep his original and will respray everything Brunswick White. Here are some pics:

I will update with pics throughout the course of the restoration leading up to final assembly.

"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Old
  (#2)
Bic D
AzB Silver Member
Bic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond reputeBic D has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-03-2019, 06:42 AM

yes, keep the updated pics coming. Good find

Old
  (#3)
Buzzard II
AzB Silver Member
Buzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzard II has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2019, 06:59 AM

I know AZ is loaded with Diamond fanboys but a well sorted Gold Crown is worthy of passing down for multiple generations. Quite a deal, I know you will be very happy.

Jimmy 'da Vig

Player: Nice wood
Traveler: Plain wood

Old
  (#4)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

08-03-2019, 07:02 AM

Great find! Any thought to keeping the original cushions? Were you able to try if they still played well?

Old
  (#5)
L I F D 1
L S S T 10
L I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bic D View Post
yes, keep the updated pics coming. Good find
Yes, show and tell all the way home.
Also, let us know what you're final thoughts are to do with the GC 1. (you do know you got lucky)

Are they Pro 8, or 9?

Last edited by L I F D 1; 08-03-2019 at 07:15 AM.

Old
  (#6)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
Great find! Any thought to keeping the original cushions? Were you able to try if they still played well?
Use 50yr old cushions? Why risk 'em being bad? Replace them.

Old
  (#7)
SBC
Banned
SBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond reputeSBC has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2019, 07:18 AM

Crazy finds like these are still out there.

The early Cowns are built so well. Those are in amazing shape.

Old
  (#8)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-03-2019, 07:23 AM

Good find. They are out there if you are patient. Before I finished my room I just wanted a cheap table in the meantime (ended up being 4-5 years) for my unfinished basement. This GC III was one of 3 GCs and some bar boxes in use at a bar near me and they were converting the area to have a live music stage. I guess at some poi t it was somewhere with at least 17 tables. My mover bought most of the rest of them once he saw what I found.

$500 and just needed new cloth and was missing trim bezel around ball box which is an easy find. I've since sold it when I upgraded the space and got all my money back after 5 years of use. I knew it was temporary so never thought about restoring. It actually had what I saw as a really nice natural patina and fit in with the unfinished room.

A GC I is a better restoration investment I think...good luck with the project.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by logical; 08-03-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Old
  (#9)
xianmacx
AzB Silver Member
xianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond reputexianmacx has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2019, 07:43 AM

Wow, very nice condition. Almost no staple holes in the slate...

Old
  (#10)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2019, 07:48 AM

I thought a GC I didn't have adjustable feet? But I also kinda remember that only being true for the first few years. Regardless, nice find and good that it has them.

Last edited by logical; 08-03-2019 at 08:02 AM.

Old
  (#11)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

08-03-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Use 50yr old cushions? Why risk 'em being bad? Replace them.
Iím not a mechanic but from what Iíve read on here none of the modern cushions will fit a GC1 properly unless the wood rail is rebeveled at the modern rail angle. Iíve also read that the original monarch cushions can last 50 years or more.

That said, I like bucket pockets, while the OP wants tight pockets. So he will need new cushions anyway, and thus new bevel angles.

It will be fun to see the progress

Old
  (#12)
rikdee
AzB Silver Member
rikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond reputerikdee has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2019, 08:32 AM

I think Ken Hash sells reproduction "AR 6100" stickers.

Old
  (#13)
Lawnboy77
AzB Silver Member
Lawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond reputeLawnboy77 has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
Iím not a mechanic but from what Iíve read on here none of the modern cushions will fit a GC1 properly unless the wood rail is rebeveled at the modern rail angle. Iíve also read that the original monarch cushions can last 50 years or more.

That said, I like bucket pockets, while the OP wants tight pockets. So he will need new cushions anyway, and thus new bevel angles.

It will be fun to see the progress
I think you are absolutely right about the adjustable feet not being present on an original GC I, furthermore the rails don't have the figure 8 nut plates. It is my understanding that GC I's used figure 8's only. Not that it's a big deal though if it is a mix and match Gold Crown...still looks awesome and can be made to play perfect!

Old
  (#14)
logical
sarcasm while you wait

08-03-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnboy77 View Post
I think you are absolutely right about the adjustable feet not being present on an original GC I, furthermore the rails don't have the figure 8 nut plates. It is my understanding that GC I's used figure 8's only. Not that it's a big deal though if it is a mix and match Gold Crown...still looks awesome and can be made to play perfect!
I looked deeper, they did go to adjustable on the GC I after a few years.

Old
  (#15)
maha
from way back when
maha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond reputemaha has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2019, 08:48 AM

great deal for 400 dollars but still have to add in the cost of your time and cost of new parts. maybe worth it or not.

Page 1 of 22 1 2311 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: