Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Has anyone tried the McDermott Defy?
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Has anyone tried the McDermott Defy?
Old
  (#1)
gunzby
My light saber is LD
gunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 17375

Has anyone tried the McDermott Defy? - 10-03-2019, 03:34 PM

Any opinions would be welcomed.

Yes my custom cue also doubles as a light saber. You might say that it shoots lights out. You are now activated Agent 92395. Obtain the funds from Goldman Sachs and deposit into my Swiss account. This message will make you shit your pants in 5 seconds. Sev found it first.

Old
  (#2)
creederitis
AzB Bronze Member
creederitis is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Has anyone tried the McDermott Defy? - 10-03-2019, 09:46 PM

I got to try it at the McDermott both at APA Vegas. I was honestly super disappointed in the hit and feel of it. I found it to be the WORST hitting carbon fiber shaft that Iíve tried, and Iíve basically tried everything.

BeCue (3/8-10 or radial, I didnít like their butt) and Meucci (radial) have the best feel. Iíd then Stack the Predator revo and Mezz ignite next followed by Jacoby (radial) and Cuetec (their joint). Then pretty much any of the custom ones you can find on Facebook, then the McDermott.

Also avoiding steel collars on these because they make the carbon shaft hit like shit.

It really is a shame because they are my go to recommendation for players looking to spend 2-400 on a cue for the quality of the regular cues. But I would NEVER recommend their carbon fiber shaft after trying it. It honestly felt like hitting balls with a 20 graphite Walmart cue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by creederitis; 10-03-2019 at 10:00 PM.

Old
  (#3)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creederitis View Post
I got to try it at the McDermott both at APA Vegas. I was honestly super disappointed in the hit and feel of it. I found it to be the WORST hitting carbon fiber shaft that Iíve tried, and Iíve basically tried everything.

BeCue (3/8-10 or radial, I didnít like their butt) and Meucci have the best feel. Iíd then Stack the Predator revo and Mezz ignite next followed by Jacoby and Cuetec. Then pretty much any of the custom ones you can find on Facebook, then the McDermott.

Also avoiding steel collars on these because they make the carbon shaft hit like shit.

It really is a shame because they are my go to recommendation for players looking to spend 2-400 on a cue for the quality of the regular cues. But I would NEVER recommend their carbon fiber shaft after trying it. It honestly felt like hitting balls with a 20 graphite Walmart cue.

I have a Becue (with the Becue butt) and I have a Meucci shaft.

They both play well.

I don't know what you didn't like about the Becue butt. It pairs perfectly with the Becue shaft and I think it hits more "pure" than a carbon shaft on a non-carbon butt.

Old
  (#4)
creederitis
AzB Bronze Member

Has anyone tried the McDermott Defy? - 10-03-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post

They both play well.

I don't know what you didn't like about the Becue butt. It pairs perfectly with the Becue shaft and I think it hits more "pure" than a carbon shaft on a non-carbon butt.

Honestly, I tried it side by side with their full cue versus a 3/8-10 on a good custom butt and the hit to me felt better on the big pin with the wood custom.

Iím not saying itís bad, just that if I was to choose the hit was clearly favored by both myself and several other players better then me.

Old
  (#5)
newcuer
AzB Silver Member
newcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond repute

10-03-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Why is that?

Old
  (#6)
trob
AzB Silver Member
trob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond repute

10-04-2019, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcuer View Post
Why is that?
Because hit is an individual thing..He thinks it hits like shit . You may love it . I hated playing with predator cues until I hit with one on a cue that didnít have a metal joint. I canít tell you why but the stainless joint just hit like shit to me. I used one on a sneaky Pete and loved it. No idea why lol

Player........... road line with 12.9 revo and 314/3
Break cue.... bk3
jump cue..... Fury
Case............ Molinari butterfly

If you live with one foot in the future and one in the past you'll piss all over the present.

Old
  (#7)
gunzby
My light saber is LD
gunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond reputegunzby has a reputation beyond repute

10-04-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:

BeCue (3/8-10 or radial, I didnít like their butt) and Meucci (radial) have the best feel. Iíd then Stack the Predator revo and Mezz ignite next followed by Jacoby (radial) and Cuetec (their joint). Then pretty much any of the custom ones you can find on Facebook, then the McDermott.

Wow
I wasn't expecting to hear that

Yes my custom cue also doubles as a light saber. You might say that it shoots lights out. You are now activated Agent 92395. Obtain the funds from Goldman Sachs and deposit into my Swiss account. This message will make you shit your pants in 5 seconds. Sev found it first.

Old
  (#8)
gunzby
My light saber is LD

10-04-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post

They both play well.

I have a Becue shaft as well and love it. I was thinking of getting a Defy in 12mm since I have the Becue in 12.5mm

Old
  (#9)
creederitis
AzB Bronze Member

Has anyone tried the McDermott Defy? - 10-04-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcuer View Post
Why is that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trob View Post
Because hit is an individual thing..He thinks it hits like shit . You may love it . I hated playing with predator cues until I hit with one on a cue that didnít have a metal joint. I canít tell you why but the stainless joint just hit like shit to me. I used one on a sneaky Pete and loved it. No idea why lol
So, the only thing Iíve been able to come up with is stiffness. Carbon Fiber shafts are an inherently stiff material. Steel is also very stiff and will not transfer vibration or flex much with the hit. Thus more energy gets retained in the shaft versus transferring through the entirety of the cue which ruins the feel to me.

Last edited by creederitis; 10-04-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Old
  (#10)
CaleAYS
AzB Silver Member
CaleAYS has a reputation beyond reputeCaleAYS has a reputation beyond reputeCaleAYS has a reputation beyond reputeCaleAYS has a reputation beyond reputeCaleAYS has a reputation beyond reputeCaleAYS has a reputation beyond reputeCaleAYS has a reputation beyond reputeCaleAYS has a reputation beyond reputeCaleAYS has a reputation beyond reputeCaleAYS has a reputation beyond reputeCaleAYS has a reputation beyond repute

10-04-2019, 10:02 AM

I tried it in Vegas. Didn’t care for it. Has a very soft hit. Almost dead feeling. It put everything you wanted on the cue ball but the hit was so muted it just didn’t feel right. A US pro player was there also just hanging out and I handed it off to him and he felt the same way after hitting some balls with it. Some people might love it, but it’s definitely different than every other CF shaft I’ve tried and I’ve tried all the major ones except becue and Pechauer.

Last edited by CaleAYS; 10-04-2019 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Sp

Old
  (#11)
newcuer
AzB Silver Member
newcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond reputenewcuer has a reputation beyond repute

10-04-2019, 11:19 AM

Doesn't a fairly good pro player player with a carbon fiber shaft and a steel collar???

Old
  (#12)
gunzby
My light saber is LD

10-04-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaleAYS View Post
I tried it in Vegas. Didnít care for it. Has a very soft hit. Almost dead feeling. It put everything you wanted on the cue ball but the hit was so muted it just didnít feel right. A US pro player was there also just hanging out and I handed it off to him and he felt the same way after hitting some balls with it. Some people might love it, but itís definitely different than every other CF shaft Iíve tried and Iíve tried all the major ones except becue and Pechauer.
The Becue has a very soft hit. It's actually what I love about it. About the only hit I don't like it's mushy, but that's a tip issue or ferrule issue and not the shaft. I'd compare the Becue to the original OB shaft with a wooden ferrule.

Old
  (#13)
JolietJames
Boot Party Coordinator
JolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond reputeJolietJames has a reputation beyond repute

10-17-2019, 07:56 PM

It's the first I've heard offered in 13mm.
I'm not any LD or carbon guy really, but I'd like to hit some with it.

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.

Old
  (#14)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-17-2019, 08:03 PM

i think maple is better for playing

the carbon may last longer and ding less,but I am pretty much
through with carbon fiber

then again i am almost through playing pool

Old
  (#15)
briankenobi
AzB Silver Member
briankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2019, 05:37 AM

I have one of the prototypes now that I have been letting people hit. Here is my feedback as well as what I have heard.

My feedback is that it was a soft hit and english is effortless. I have shot it with a steel joint and a wood joint and I personally couldn't tell a difference. Very low deflection and very low vibration.

Here is the feedback I have received from others. Almost everyone I have let hit the cue said that it hit better than a revo, and that is from people who own a revo. I actually have someone who will be selling their revo to get a deft shaft. I also had an instructor say that it hits better than a revo and the cuetec shaft.

But certain people will like certain shafts and certain hits. Where one person may love the defy shaft, another may not like it as much or at all. The best thing would be just to hit it.

Playing Cue: McDermott G903, I3 Shaft, Navigator Black Super Soft tip for regular pool. I2 Shaft with Navigator Black soft tip for Artistic Pool
Break Cue: Stinger
Jump Cue: McDermott Big boy shaft with Jump Handle/ Marty Carey Jump Cue
Masse Cue: Too Tall Custom Cues Masse Cue

www.gospeltrickshot.org
http://www.mcdermottcue.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRC...yTfxDrlYmwMBOQ

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: