Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Beto threatens tax-exempt status of churches

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Beto threatens tax-exempt status of churches
Old
  (#1)
PRED
AzB Silver Member
PRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

Beto threatens tax-exempt status of churches - 10-12-2019, 09:25 AM

Some are so dense that they can't understand their POTUS's Evangelical support.

Beto threatens tax-exempt status of churches if they don't support gay marriage

from Fox Business News

Beto O'Rourke threatens tax-exempt status of churches if they oppose same-sex marriage
2020 hopeful Beto O'Rourke tells a CNN town hall that any institution that denies the rights of Americans shouldn't get tax breaks.

Democratic presidential hopeful Beto O'Rourke says he'd strip churches of tax-exempt status if they don't support same-sex marriage.

When the former Texas congressman was asked if religious institutions -- "colleges, churches, charities" -- should be stripped of tax-exempt status Thursday night by CNN anchor Don Lemon during the LGBTQ town hall, he immediately responded, "Yes."

The crowd erupted in applause before O'Rourke further explained.

Mary Margaret Olohan

@MaryMargOlohan
"Do you think religious institutions like colleges, churches, charities, should they lose their tax exempt status if they oppose same sex marriage?"

"Yes," Beto says, without missing a beat. #LGBTQTownHall

"There can be no reward, no benefit, no tax break for anyone or any institution, any organization in America, that denies the full human rights and the full civil rights of every single one of us," he said. "So as president, we're going to make that a priority, and we are going to stop those who are infringing upon the human rights of our fellow Americans."

In O'Rourke's "Plan to Pursue Equality for LGBTQ+ People and Ensure They Can Live Openly Without Fear of Discrimination or Violence," he lists reversing the Trump administration's "attempt to expand religious exemptions in order to enable discrimination or harm others."

He adds, "Freedom of religion is a fundamental right, but it should not be used to discriminate."

Matt Lewis, CNN political commentator, tweeted out, "This isn't going to help win the electoral college. If you wonder why so many Christians are willing to hold their nose and support someone as horrible as Donald Trump, this helps explain it."

Luke Goodrich, vice president and senior counsel at Becket, a religious liberty law firm, called it "blatantly unconstitutional," adding "it's also foolish because those groups provide billions of dollars in essential social services to their communities. Churches and ministries should be allowed to hold centuries-old beliefs without fear of government retribution."

And Hiram Sasser, general counsel for First Liberty Institute, told Fox News their faith-based organization has taken on the government before.

“When the Obama IRS came after pastors gathering together in conferences with Rick Perry support traditional marriage, we had to defend the pastors,” Sasser said. “We beat the IRS then and we would do it again if O’Rourke attacks churches with the IRS in the future.”

President Trump has championed religious liberty, largely winning the evangelical vote in 2016, and earlier this year, his administration launched a global effort to decriminalize homosexuality.

IRATUS VULGUS

Old
  (#2)
FairladyZ
The Boss Stooge
FairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-12-2019, 09:30 AM

Good. That's one thing I never agreed with. Churches are nothing more than businesses....if people want to donate their pocket change or their entire estate to the church in order to buy a condo in heaven, that's their freedom.....but the church can pay tax on it like any other business does.

If you tolerate this, then your children will be next.

I have never quoted someone in my signature....but I found such a shallow, idiotic, and inane comment like this worthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Everybody already knows that "conservative" means "bigot".

pj
chgo

Old
  (#3)
onepocketron
AzB Silver Member
onepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-12-2019, 10:10 AM

Good for him. Churches need to pay their fair share!!! Of course the bible thumpers don't think so I'm sure. Tons of the churches around me look like mansions, and even more so inside. I thought the money was supposed to be doing "good work" not building mansions and providing the preachers with expensive clothes and cars. It's a racket that needs to be taxed.

Old
  (#4)
strmanglr scott
All about Focus
strmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond repute

10-12-2019, 10:44 AM

Who? Oh the drunk driver that couldn't win a Senate seat. Um, yeah, take your freshman level Spanish and go get a taco or something.

The rail is your best friend.

Old
  (#5)
overlord
AzB Silver Member
overlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond repute

10-12-2019, 10:52 AM

Beto keeps getting more and more radical as his chances of winning the nomination are about zero.

He is really very creepy.

Old
  (#6)
FairladyZ
The Boss Stooge
FairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond repute

10-12-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
Who? Oh the drunk driver that couldn't win a Senate seat. Um, yeah, take your freshman level Spanish and go get a taco or something.
While I agree with that attack of him.....churches and any people/organizations hiding behind the tax shelter known as "religion" should still be paying taxes.

I have never quoted someone in my signature....but I found such a shallow, idiotic, and inane comment like this worthy!
Quote:

pj
chgo

Old
  (#7)
strmanglr scott
All about Focus
strmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond repute

10-12-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ View Post
While I agree with that attack of him.....churches and any people/organizations hiding behind the tax shelter known as "religion" should still be paying taxes.
I'm not hot on the argument but as many churches that are out there that are fully engaged politically, wouldn't bother me a bit. Make them all pay, nobody ducks the tax.

I've always said, you don't need religion or a church to have a relationship with God.

The rail is your best friend.

Old
  (#8)
FairladyZ
The Boss Stooge

10-12-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
I've always said, you don't need religion or a church to have a relationship with God.
That, good sir, is the quote of the day!

Quote:

pj
chgo

Old
  (#9)
LAMas
AzB Silver Member
LAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond repute

10-12-2019, 01:12 PM

He needs the money.

dumluk

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: